New from Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Maine

I've always loved the body styling from the 40's so eventually I was bound to be drawn here. I originally got the bug a few months ago when my 2004 Jeep WJ got the flu and is having transmission issues. I bought an old m116a1 trailer a year ago and have been interested in MV's my whole life. Right now I've decided I want an old dodge, specifically a WC-53 Carryall, but have also come to realize that they are very few and far between and may have to settle for a pickup.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/class...112612-m37.php

That is only a few hours away and although I much prefer the WC 3/4ton trucks aesthetically I'm not sure if that is a real good deal and I should jump on it or if I should wait for a carryall that is within initial budget and worth restoring. I really need an enclosed solution with a secure bed area which doesn't seem to be the case with the M37 so I may try to weld a second cab area similar to
    http://www.legacypowerwagon.com/asse...gon_4-door.jpg

Not sure where I'm going to go with it ultimately, but it should be an interesting adventure and certainly worth it in the end.

Welcome to PWA! Very good group of guys around here!

Ahh, a WC53, a man after my own heart. Its true that they are a rare creature and hard to come by, but they do come up for sale, and this is the place to find them. I am not sure what your budget really is at the moment but if its around the price of the M37 you posted, then you probably won't find much of a WC53 to work with.

There is a WC26 for sale in WV currently but its rough, and in a bad way.

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic...ryall#p1239920

Also, there is a nice WC53 for sale in Ohio at the moment.

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic...rt=15#p1245545

I bought my Carryall back in May, and I drove from Va to Louisiana and back with a trailer to get it, so you may need to be willing to travel for it or pay for a delivery from a slight distance away.

Parts can be found for them, just takes patience. Mine came missing a fair number of things and I've pretty much sourced or been able to reproduce whatever I've needed, and with the help of the folks on this board you'll be able to find anything you want.

I would hold out and keep looking if what you really want is a Closed Cab truck. It took me years of partially looking and waiting for the deal for my WC53 to pop up. Shame you weren't looking earlier this year... a rather decent one sold on Ebay for around $3k. I almost bought it and thats the last thing I need is another truck at the moment.

Again, welcome!
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Welcome to the group!
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

This is an old ad but stumbled across this page today... It might still be for sale. Arkansas might be a bit of a ride from Maine...

http://www.armvpa.com/Classified%20Ads.htm

Comment

Thanks for that link, I'll give him a ring tomorrow. I was curious about the m37 since it seemed like a good price. Ultimate goal for this is to create a diesel daily driver that I can take on scuba treks when I go deep into cave country, go camping out of etc.

What frustrates me with modern SUV's is that they aren't really good for utility anymore. The 1/2ton pickup trucks are too long for most things and even the modern tahoes/expeditions have very limited off road capabilities compared to a jeep or these old trucks. Dodge made the first 4x4 and this is the first real suv so even though only the frame/body will ultimately be original, it will still have the character. What originally got me started on this was seeing Stacey David build the Wicked Willys. I prefer the WC53 style wise so I think I will hold out for one.

Comment

Originally posted by tbone1004 View Post
            Thanks for that link, I'll give him a ring tomorrow. I was curious about the m37 since it seemed like a good price. Ultimate goal for this is to create a diesel daily driver that I can take on scuba treks when I go deep into cave country, go camping out of etc.

What frustrates me with modern SUV's is that they aren't really good for utility anymore.
            This is pretty much the exact same thing that I am doing, except I plan to also use mine to tow a '68 Airstream Camper that my wife is restoring. My apologies to Gordon for linking outside the forum but I am keeping a fairly detailed build thread on what I've been doing with mine over on Pirate4x4. Fair warning, those guys can be a touch rough but their tech knowledge is out of this world. Between this forum, and that forum, I've got the best minds to bounce ideas off of. I'm building mine with a Cummins 4Cyl, Allison 5 Speed Auto, Ford 60 Front, Eaton Rear, and 38"s.

Check it out. Plenty of pictures.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...airstream.html

Also, I am sure you have seen the BIG thread here where we are collectively sharing our ideas. This is a HUGE resource directly related to this exact Chassis. And I agree to hold out and wait on finding a Carryall. I've seen quite a few for sale over the past few months since I bought mine. Some of the same ones sold twice even.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ead.php?t=5521

Hang around, stay interested, and we'll find you a good one and get you rolling right along.

Comment

New from the UK

I have been around mv's my entire life, had a few motorbikes and the odd Land Rover.. After years off doing the shows and seeing a sea of Jeeps i
              decided i would buy a Dodge at some point.
              That point came last month when i found an Wm300 Military for only
              £1.200.00. you know how it is whilst on the drive to collect...its gonna be a bag of rust with a million parts missing...
              What a surprise only the carb missing and a hood to fender panel oh and of course someone had the hood badge away !!!
              Rust yes of course but to no extent a nightmare.
              A helpful guy on ebay (PowerwagonJohn) and a manual was very quickly recieved.
              Will show you guys some pic's when i figure out how to put them in here.

Comment

Welcome to the Zoo! Looking forward to seeing your pix as they become available.

Lots of help and advice here, yours for the asking...

cd
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                X