What type of jack do you carry? WDX-M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of jack do you carry? WDX-M37

I am creeping up on the day where I will be using one of my trucks in the woods, and wondering what type of jack was used back in the day? I do not remember seeing any mention of a jack in the M-37 manual ether, although I could have overlooked it.

a High lift jack seems like it would almost be the most portable and storable in my situation... but I rather prefer the idea of having the jack under the axle to change a tire, rather than lifting the whole body. Does that really only leave a bottle jack as the other option? I am imagining that for my situation it will not be used to help extract a stuck truck, but in case of the need to change a tire.

I apologize to whomever it was that first posted this picture. It came up on either this site or Joe's Power Wagon Forum.

Much like today's jacks, the original jack that came with these trucks was marginal at best. Nevertheless, the original was a screw type bottle jack, and I would think that with careful measurement of the amount of lift needed, a quality bottle jack might be a good option.

And on second thought, the picture may only pertain to the civilian WDX-WM300 type trucks. I am sure someone with more familiarity of the M-37 will chime in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Waak; 10-10-2016, 07:01 PM. Reason: clarification
    John

Comment

Thank you John.

I wonder where they stored those tools when the trucks were new?

In any case I will look into slightly modifying a bottle jack to be more field friendly and probably never have to use it.

Comment

Under the seat! The Auto Specialties jack is a nice unit, much lighter than a hydraulic jack. I used both, but I liked the mechanical jack better

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
          Under the seat! The Auto Specialties jack is a nice unit, much lighter than a hydraulic jack. I used both, but I liked the mechanical jack better

Frank
          Hey Frank. Have a question and figured if anyone would know, you would. And, it could be of benefit to this thread.

I have an Auto Specialties jack that is original to my '51. I think the owner extended it out to far and a threaded shaft inside came out of a threaded nut (also inside). It probably sheared off a pin somewhere inside, or maybe even sheared the threaded shaft. I can raise and lower the telescopic tubing easily by hand, but no amount of cranking has any effect. Have you ever had one apart? I can not see how they even come apart.

Thanks. Junior

Comment

Sorry Clint I never had one apart but there must be some way that it can be disassembled. I don't have one to look at so I can't help.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post

Frank
              Good point, and now to find one. I maybe headed to a scrap yard and find a mechanical bottle jack... As it will never fail to reach full hight due to failed seal or fluid leak.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X