Diesel Powered M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Powered M37

I just bought an M37 with a Detroit Diesel engine. The truck is very nice, but I am trying to determine a few pieces of information. The engine and transmission were originally intended for a Gama Goat. The transmission is a four speed with reverse down and left. I have read that it could be a GM 420 or a 465. I need to do some work on it, and need to know how to identify it. After doing so, I need to source a PTO for this transmission. If you have any info on this transmission, the pto, or have a source for winch related parts, please let me know.

Please see my add in the classifieds, because this truck would be a lot better with a winch!!!

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Files

It looks like a GM SM420..
    The easy way to tell an SM420 from a SM465 is the length.. the 420 has a case length of 10.5" the 465 is 12"
    also the 465 has two PTO ports and the 420 only one on the drivers side.

I personally run an SM420 in my 1948 Willys Jeep.. I like the super low first gear (7.05:1) but there is a large gap in the gears between second and third, with a Diesel I would say that a 465 would be a better choice

Comment

Do you happen to know the approximate year ranges that these two transmissions were used?

I seem to recall that a 1980 Chevy pickup I had was equipped with the SM465; does that sound right? I am curious when the SM420 was used.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

PTO source

Do you know where I could get a PTO for this transmission? Does anyone have a used one? I guess it should be pretty easy to get parts for.

Thanks for the id.
        Dan

Comment

the Sm420 was used from the 40's up unto 1968 in Chev's and GMC's up to 2 ton.. the 420 was available with a brake on the output.
          there was a year or two when Chev used a NP 435 then the SM 465 was used up to around 1988-1990

Comment

Working...
          X