Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEI Conversion.

Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of doing a HEI conversion on my 1977 M880 with a one wire distributor, and I am having trouble finding a 12v power sorce to supply power to the coil and distributor during BOTH the "run" and "start" cycles.

I have removed the Factory dist. , coil, ECU, ballast resistor, AND the wiring harness for these parts.

I have taped into the welded splice in the engine bay to provide 12v for the "run" cycle.

I tried to tap into the firewall connector ( where the power for the stock coil runs to the ballast resistor ) for the "start" cycle, but then started to smoke the starter.

With all the above parts mentioned already removed, Where can I get 12v to power the new ignition system during Both "run" and "start" cycles ?

Many Thanks,

HEI conversion

Good upgrade. One of the original ignition wires should have 12V from the moment you turn the key on , through crank, and after crank. That should be the only wire you need. allpar.com has good info on this. I have a M37 with a 360. I'm using a Dodge electronic distributor with an external GM HEI module and high energy coil. I have had excellent results for 4 or 5 years. With HEI system you can run .045" plug gap. The 12V ignition wire should also show up on wiring diagram if you have access to one for your truck. I'm sure you will like it when you get it going.
    phil

Comment

Here is a video explaining what I have done. I have a wiring diagram, a test light, and a meter but still can not find a power sorce that stays on during the start and run cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLGA...ature=youtu.be

Many Thanks,

Comment

I'm not familiar with your particular truck. Most vehicles have a terminal marked IGN on the ignition switch. It should have 12V when you turn the key on, through crank, and after crank. I would try tracing this wire from the ignition switch to the firewall connector.
        phil

Comment

Many Thanks for all the advice . :)

http://youtu.be/hz6l_VCDZLk

Comment

Working...
          X