2nd run of disc brake conversion components is complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd run of disc brake conversion components is complete

The final cost has came out at $895 per axle kit.

We have made the individual parts involved in manufacturing to much more precise standards than with previous runs. The raw material for hub rotor flanges was laser cut to rough shape: inner bore was finished to size for a press fit onto the newly machined hub outer surface. Flanges were welded in place, with finish machining, hole placement, threading, etc., done on a CNC mill.

Raw material for the spacer plates, caliper bracket plates, and bracket ears were water jet cut. Spacer and caliper bracket plates were Blanchard ground on both sides to precise finish and thickness tolerances. Finish machining and hole placement is done on a CNC mill. The bracket ears are formed using a 2-step press method using a specialty die that produces the precise ear shape; holes are placed and threaded on a CNC mill. Ears are welded to the disc using a precision built jig for exact ear placement. Everything is designed and built to exacting standards using all USA made material and manufacturing is done right here at home.

The basic conversion kit for 1 axle includes:
    2 rebuilt hubs with a welded rotor mounting flange, 16 grade 8 rotor attaching bolts, new high quality inner and outer bearing cups are installed in each hub.
    2 rim spacer plates.
    1 left side caliper mounting bracket with grade 8 attaching hardware.
    1 right side caliper mounting bracket with grade 8 attaching hardware.
    1 wood shipping crate.
    1 installation instruction manual, this covers all needed info to properly install either front or rear axle kits. There is also a part number list of locally available, high quality, normal wear components in the manual that are required to complete your new system. We can furnish these items at an additional cost, but we suggest you source these parts at a local auto parts supplier. The items (such as rotors) weigh quite heavy, so purchasing locally will save you a significant amount on shipping cost.
    *NOTE* please advise whether the kit will be used on a front or rear axle, brackets are the same, however the necessary attaching hardware components differ from front or rear. This helps us to insure we are furnishing the correct attachment hardware in your kit.

Shipping is additional cost and will of course vary depending on your location. If you are ordering a kit for only 1 axle, Fed-Ex Ground or Home Delivery is likely the better option. If you are ordering 2 kits for a 4-wheel installation, the weight exceeds Fed-Ex limitations and is usually best shipped via LTL truck freight. This is typically lower cost than shipping 2 crates using Fed-Ex service. We would need to verify to be certain we are getting the lowest cost shipping available to your location, sometimes minor specifics do make a difference. Shipping to a commercial address will almost always mean lower cost regardless of the carrier. If you can furnish a commercial address for a reputable business who is willing to receive your crate, it will likely be a shipping cost advantage to you.

We have only a limited number of kits that we can sell outright, as we must retain enough stock to meet demands for our own projects. Please contact us promptly if you have interest; shop phone: 704-474-4683 or email: mseriesrebuild@gmail.com
    Last edited by W_A_Watson_II; 03-21-2018, 07:22 AM.

Thanks for the info Charles.
    So for a complete change over you also need rotors, calipers and pads and probably a proportioning valve

A couple other questions-
    what about existing master cylinder and power brake unit? can existing brake lines be used or are they replaced and re sized as well?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
      Thanks for the info Charles.
      So for a complete change over you also need rotors, calipers and pads and probably a proportioning valve

A couple other questions-
      what about existing master cylinder and power brake unit? can existing brake lines be used or are they replaced and re sized as well?

Thanks in advance for the info.
      Yes you will need the normal wear components in addition to the custom conversion parts in order to complete your installation. Typically, a proportioning valve is optional.

Hard to answer your question about master cylinder and brake booster as I don't know what you currently have in place. I would suggest installing a dual circuit M/C if you don't have that already in place, it is a much safer type of system. Most likely you will have to replace some hard lines in order to get your plumbing correct if you change components, unless you went back with ones identical to what you now have. Disc brake caliper hoses require 3/16" line connections. This can be done with adapter fittings, however my preference is to replace the lines on the axle housings with 3/16" stainless steel tubing. You can accomplish the needed end product either way.

Comment

I have a typical standard single circuit master cylinder. I do have an added power booster system under the cab but I was just trying to get the whole picture of what you would typically do/replace in a conversion for original single circuit systems.

Comment

Is your booster an original type remote mounted vacuum operated unit, or something else? You can hook it all up using the single circuit M/C, however a dual circuit set up drastically increases the safety factor of brakes. If my guess is correct concerning the type of booster you have; if you change to a dual circuit system as well as stay with a remote booster, a 2nd booster will be required for the new circuit you are adding. In order to eliminate the need for the 2nd booster, you would need to design the mounts so that a booster could be used ahead of the master cylinder, such as a booster that is typically used with a firewall mounted booster / master cylinder set up.

Comment

My booster is not original but it is a single circuit booster. I know dual circuit is much much safer but I want to stick with this for a while yet. Disc brake conversion will happen down the road I just wanted to get a clear picture of all that is involved.

Thanks for the info.
            Jeff

Comment

This is quite a ways off for me, but information is never bad....

Do you have any pictures? Just a picture of what's included for one corner would help.

Also, how does this compare to VPW's kit? Your kit is lots cheaper, but includes less. Perhaps its a wash, I don't know. Theirs is what, like $2700 for all 4 wheels. Theirs comes with master cylinder, rotors, and calipers, booser, etc. Yours is a more DIY system (vs the kit). Certainly each one has its place.

I'm excited that either kit exist, because I was envisioning having to design one myself. Probably wouldn't have been a pretty sight. =) Though, $2700 or $1800+Misc. is pretty stout for sure.

Comment

Send me an email, I can reply with pictures for you. mseriesrebuild@windstream.net

Our kit comes with complete installation instructions to easily install a complete system 100%. I honestly have no idea how the VPW kit may compare with ours as I have never seen one of theirs. We can put together a whole kit as they offer if you like, would be extra cost for the over the counter normal wear parts, plus extra shipping. Our specialty conversion kit is top of the line, I don't think you will find a kit out there that is better quality materials or precision workmanship than ours, so it's up to you.

Comment

Charles,

are you still making disc brake conversion kits? I have a 47 wdx that I am currently working on and feel that a complete bolt on kit at least for the front would be a great addition to my power wagon. let me know if you are still making these.

Thanks,
                  Mike

Comment

Yes we have kits in stock currently. Cost is $895 per axle kit plus shipping for the custom conversion components. Send us an email if we can help you, happy to offer more in depth detail info. I noticed the first post in this thread has our old email address which no longer works, that has changed, our contact is now mseriesrebuild@gmail.com

Comment

Charles, I updated the email address for you for any future queries.
                      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks, I was going to do that later today, guess you knew my plate was already full.

Comment

Charles, feel free to post pictures of your work, products and or anything you would like. Also share the links to your website and or Facebook or Instagram as well.
                          1967 W200.aka.Hank
                          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matt, much appreciated. I've mentioned our website is in process of a major upgrade. Our webmaster has had some recent unexpected health issues which has delayed the process. Hopefully that will be completed soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X