4bt harmonic balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4bt harmonic balancer

Has anyone sucessfully put a harmonic balancer on a 4bt? The 4bts I've seen have a simple crank pully with no weight attached. I'm told, and believe that, the more inertial weight-the better for smoothing out the pulsations/vibrations, and every litt bit will help to reduce fatigue craking of automatic transmission and other components.

I have my crank at the machine shop now getting it banlanced with a 6bt harmonic balancer. It looks like the 6bt balancer is suppose to have an alignment pin to keep it from wiggling on the crank. The 4bt crank has no hole for an alignment pin.

Is a different balancer recommended?

I'm thinking about getting some bolts machined to hold the balancer on the crank tighlty. Otherwise it moves around on the bolts and I fear the balance job will not take.

Problem is the harmonic balancer

Could the crank be drilled to insert a dowell pin to hold the balancer in place? Better question-has anybody done it, adn knwo ho hard the crank is to drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Missouri View Post
      Could the crank be drilled to insert a dowell pin to hold the balancer in place? Better question-has anybody done it, adn knwo ho hard the crank is to drill?
      Your machinist should be able to cut a couple keyways...I's rather see key stock used over any type of pinch bolt or pin. Remember that seals must slide over this surface, and we wouldn't want them damaged.

C.D.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
      X