Saving The Print Medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving The Print Medium

As I sit here, thinking of our trucks, dogs, friends and print media, in no particular order, the fate of this magazine comes to mind. Perhaps it’s the post holidays blues; maybe this is easier than working on my taxes.

Gordon Maney

His love of Malamutes, Power Wagons, construction and fabrication techniques and lively discussion. Trees. The study of people and their machines...all machines. Anything from simple tools to firearms; WW II aircraft to the Space Station. Anything and everything were fair game when it came to having a chat with this magazine’s founder and editor. Any of these topics could pop up within the pages of the PWA magazine or it’s forums, or in personal conversation. It has been over 3 years since his passing and it is still hard for me to quantify his impact upon the Power Wagon community, and the lives of our individual members. He was known by many as a teacher, but make no mistake...Gordon was the consummate student.

The PWA

Will we lose the print media? This is a very real possibility without continued and sustained support. Sadly, this magazine’s existence is in jeopardy. Many other publications are feeling the pinch also, as electronic media continues to dominate our daily lives and methods of data gathering. Even here in Wyoming, newspapers seem to be swirling the drain as more and more people choose to take their news and information from on-line sources.

As one who does a lot of research on the inter-web, I still enjoy reading print media most. My land-line phone and cable TV may be gone, but still I haven’t given up the newspaper yet...what would I do without the funnies and a crossword puzzle? And I continue to enjoy reading and re-reading from my Power Wagon Advertiser library.

It just seems so contrary to our trucks, and the disciplines they represent, to abandon the paper format of the PWA.

Our fair magazine remains my favorite, albeit a bitter-sweet monthly indulgence. It requires no batteries, is very portable and is superior tactually, especially when compared to my slick and glossy Four Wheeler magazine. It goes hand-in-hand with the nature of our analog trucks and their history, and it won’t break if I drop it. Thanks to Matt Welcher, our brave new editor, I still feel like this is a place where I can share insight with my pals or a laugh with Gordon...and revel in the fact that here, at least, I don’t need to explain who that is!

On those days when I’m not in my ‘49 B-1, GUS, I now drive Gordon’s 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. It is a simple way to commune with my friend, at least in sprit. Dish, as he has come to be known, has been retrofitted with the topper I built for Po Campo, my ‘96 1-ton dually that recently met an untimely demise. Soon the air springs from Po will be fitted on as well. Many components have needed repair or replacement due to the ravages caused by the Iowan environment. We in Wyoming forget how harsh salt and humidity can be on vehicles.

By-the-way, I have been told that it is perfectly normal to name vehicles of any description, not just boats and aircraft. So don’t be taking a step back when you see that I participate in the practice. I think I am in pretty good company...we can’t ALL be crazy.

Please, join me in supporting the continued publication of the Power Wagon Advertiser magazine.

CD
    Attached Files
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

I think (and I find this kind of funny) part of it is content. Sure there's a convenience factor to online media, I can check it from my pocket practically anywhere. And these forums are great because there's always some question or detail in an article I wanted to know but can't ask.

But I can throw up some photos and a paragraph or two on a thread in a few minutes and move on with my day. Writing an article, even with Matt trying to clean it up on the other end, is a more involved process, and like many here I tend to be too busy working on the projects to spend too much time writing about them.

Ideally I'll get a chance to do so, but for now I try to remember to snap a few photos as I go and update my thread every now and again.

Comment

Nice Picture Dave.
      I hear what your saying and couldn't agree more.

Sad part is as said happening everywhere.
      I hear Matt is struggling with what to do as it's not even
      Breaking even anymore.

Same with web forums, Social Media is killing them also.
      I'm not on FB and really don't want to be but a lot info/news
      is passing me by.

I will subscribe to the PWA until the bitter End.
      Tom
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks for your continued support, Tom. Yes, Matt is struggling along, trying to keep the PWA afloat. He has some pretty big shoes to fill.

All we can do to try and give him help where possible.

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Hey Dave,
          How come my reply didn't show up?

Some kind of pop up showed but wasn't up long enough
          To read.

Tom
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Tom,

I see your reply dated 2-07-2017, 07:08 AM. Did you post another? We may need to ask the Big Kahuna if any further posts ar not showing up.

cd
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Try it again Tom, not sure what happened.
              Thanks you guys truly.
              The PWA will continue have faith in me, the format may change, there may be a few more or less pages. It may be something that is mailed every other month. My goal of this posting is to wrap all of our minds around one common goal of what's best for the magazine and all of us. I will continue on with the magazine and the forum as long as I am here. It, along with everything else in the world, will change with the times.
              Any ideas and or thoughts you all may have, keep them coming. Thank you
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
                Tom,

I see your reply dated 2-07-2017, 07:08 AM. Did you post another? We may need to ask the Big Kahuna if any further posts ar not showing up.

cd
                I had a similar issue. Typed out a reply that said it was posted but it's not here. Wasn't sure if it was an approval thing or just crappy work computers.

Comment

Having renewing and ordering back issues through the Company Store. As soon as I hit "add to cart" it kicks me straight to PayPal. Do not select another item,get total or anything.

Comment

First off, a big thank you to Matt for keeping the PWA going. I always enjoy reading it, I usually read it cover to cover the day it arrives. I also have a huge pile of old copies that I can read over and over. I have written a couple articles and really like to see my thoughts in print, just feels good. I know I have more ideas floating around in the old noggin, just need to put pen to paper. As for new ideas for the magazine how about putting in a crossword puzzle, maybe just copy one from a local paper? How about a readers ride, people send in a picture and list of things done to the truck? I know I enjoy seeing my truck in a magazine and I always like to see and hear what others are doing to there's. Technical articles are always interesting. I recently had the pleasure of calibrating the fuel level gauge on Sarah's truck Gordo, I wish I would have thought to take pictures, it could have been a good read. I will have to try to remember to shoot more photos of my shenanigans. That's all I have for now, I'll keep my thinking cap on for other ideas.

Comment

PWA Ideas

I love it when my new issue of PWA arrives! Over the years, I've managed to gather every issued published. They are fun to read and informative as well.

My suggestion is this.... consider some sort of fee based digital subscription that could be in addition to the monthly publication fee. There is a world of knowledge in the paper PWA's, but with around 400 published - it's a daunting task to find that article you might remember about adjusting brakes or whatever... If each month was available in a digital, searchable form a person could type in their search and get articles that are pertinent.

I am as guilty as many others in using social media forums such as Facebook. It's quick, easy, convenient and free. Problem is that you can't really search a group. Information is available until your news feed moves on to the next post. Would be sad to lose an organized forum such as this.

Thanks for all you do to keep PWA running Matt!
                      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

I wrote a big reply here this morning around 8 am and now I don't see it. Anyone else see it?

Comment

Andy, can you re-post that? I did not see it either.

cd
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

I don’t know how I missed seeing this post earlier, but it seems almost like fate that I found it now. I haven’t been able to get Gordon off my mind lately, and I’ve spent the last couple of weeks reading through my collection. His words are a settling down place, so to speak, in a world that spins too fast. .

A few months before he passed away, I made the trip up to Iowa to see him and to talk with him. It was one of the most beautiful conversations I’ve ever had. Before I left, he asked me if I would help keep his “Grand Task” going. When he said this, there was a genuine ache that started out small in my chest and grew until it filled every part of me. I knew it would be the last time I ever talked with Gordon.

Of course I would do most anything to keep his Grand Task alive.

I recently sent a new article to Matt, and have a couple more written and ready to send when he needs them. In fact one of them speaks, at length, about how I admired Gordon.

The question is…how else to help…besides writing?

In the old days, Gordon dedicated a space in the magazine to my column “The Long View”. I was extremely honored, and it ran for quite a long time…until I got buried in a million other things. I would be willing to do it again if there is interest and if it would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                              I don’t know how I missed seeing this post earlier, but it seems almost like fate that I found it now. I haven’t been able to get Gordon off my mind lately, and I’ve spent the last couple of weeks reading through my collection. His words are a settling down place, so to speak, in a world that spins too fast. .

A few months before he passed away, I made the trip up to Iowa to see him and to talk with him. It was one of the most beautiful conversations I’ve ever had. Before I left, he asked me if I would help keep his “Grand Task” going. When he said this, there was a genuine ache that started out small in my chest and grew until it filled every part of me. I knew it would be the last time I ever talked with Gordon.

Of course I would do most anything to keep his Grand Task alive.

I recently sent a new article to Matt, and have a couple more written and ready to send when he needs them. In fact one of them speaks, at length, about how I admired Gordon.

The question is…how else to help…besides writing?

In the old days, Gordon dedicated a space in the magazine to my column “The Long View”. I was extremely honored, and it ran for quite a long time…until I got buried in a million other things. I would be willing to do it again if there is interest and if it would help.
                              Anything and everything you write Kevin is something that I think most everyone will agree is something to look forward to. I know I did and do. It is amazing to me the amount of great writers that the community of Power Wagon realm have. I've always felt that it has something to do with the fact that a lot of us are like our trucks. Normally slow and methodically but willing to get the job done without the flash that the world seems to crave. Just an old school attitude I guess. Not all have the gifts to convey but the point gets across in terms "we" understand. I'd like to take this time to thank all who have taken the time to pass their knowledge and experiences on to those of us who hang on every word.

Comment

Working...
                              X