No announcement yet.

looking for suggetions on 57 powerwagon upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know people have bolted 2bbl carbs onto them so it can be done, not sure what that requires though, but I don't think that's a general thing for those carbs though. Lots of guys here talking about how easily it fired up in the snow to go plow snow and similar. It's probably never going to be as smooth as fuel injection but it could probably be adjusted to start better cold. I just don't have that knowledge.

Comment

After a while and I pulled the PTO accelerator lever out a bit it seemed to fire up better. I found the idle adjustment screw had worked its way out and without peddling it she wouldn't stay running.
      In the warm weather she will fire right up and idle as long as you don't touch the gas at all until it warms up. She idels great, smooth as silk.
      I thought I had read that these carbs use the vacuum to draw fuel.
      I guess I need to get a manual and do some reading.

Comment

Technically all carbs do, it's the venturi effect that draws the fuel from the fuel bowl into the air stream. Only exception is the accelerator pump. The fuel pump on the engine just keeps the fuel bowl in the carburetor full so the vacuum has somewhere to pull the fuel from.

Otherwise the trick is to use all the little screws and linkages to adjust how much fuel can be sucked into the intake when. While the concept is simple, the implementation is impressively complicated, and I've always found trying to set one up right can be as much "feel" as procedure.

One of these days I need to get the one on my Desoto tuned up, it's similar to yours, it works OK, but it's not as good as it was when I first had it re-built and tuned by someone who knew what they were doing, but that was before ethanol gas, years ago, and 2500 ft higher in elevation.

Comment

Actually the truck was brought up from Arizona to Michigan and I'm certain the guy I got it from had little knowledge of carb tuning.
          The elevation and climate considerations are probably to blame for most of my issues.
          As I had said, on warm summer days she starts and runs like a Swiss watch.
          Maybe I'll just leave her set until the warm weather and call it fixed!

Comment

Upgrades

I am in the process of upgrading a 53 FFPW. My perspective is to do what is necessary to make it safe and reliable. I started with a very good condition rig such as yours and dissmantled to the frame, blasted and am now in the process of four link suspension, modern axles, brakes, engine, Etc. My biggest obstical was making the commitment to pursue, once I got over that Ive enjoyed building it to my specs and not pursuing a restoration for the sake of originality,other than the original sheet metal and patina paint. I feel the upgrades make the truck even more valuable. One can fit pretty much fit anything to the chassis of these trucks.

Comment

It would be cool to put my 440 in the truck along with disk brakes and an updated suspension.
              The only problem is it would be like taking my 65 hemi car and making it into a drag car, not that many of them around.
              I have taken several decent cars that were desirable and made them into hot rods but they were not as clean and complete as this truck..

Comment

That is my feeling on it too. My job would have been a lot quicker (and cheaper) if I'd have started with a great truck, but then I'd have felt bad taking such a good original and hacking it up into something else. Most people would have been smart enough to not restore my truck, but since I am I don't feel bad making what I want, most of it wasn't or isn't desirable or usable as it was.

But that's just my opinion, lots of people wanted to see mine restored, but it wouldn't be worth it for me to do so, and no one else seemed as interested in doing it either. It's your truck, do what makes you happy.

Comment

Keep it as it is!

with a truck in such GREAT and original condition I would have a very hard time convincing myself to make any kind of modifications.

trucks like that are not easy to come by

think I would be looking for a fixer-upper to play with.

just my thoughts

Comment

Wow..

I sure hope you change your mind. That is a nice truck..

I've got one for sale down here you could modify..

Comment

Another view of the Truck.

Comment

Wow, that is such a beautiful truck I would recommend keeping it all-original. There's plenty of parts trucks out there that would be good candidates for an engine or frame swap. I love all the different ways guys put together their Power Wagons, but one as nice as yours ought to be preserved as it is, there just aren't that many originals left. But it's your truck, so it's really up to you.
                        Greg Coffin
                        Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                        1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                        1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                        1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                        1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                        1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Or, sell it. That truck would bring a nice sum with a basic clean up. Then you could purchase another truck for much less and have money left over for the build. Just a thought...

Comment

looking for suggestions - - -

Where is the truck located and what is the asking price?

Comment

Im located north of Detroit, haven't really thought about selling it.

Comment

Very nice truck! You already have an E7T2 or similar carb with mechanical advance accelerator pump. It has an adjustable rod for summer, normal, and winter conditions. You might try adjusting it to the winter hole before condemning the carb.

I can't tell from the picture, but it looks as though the exhaust manifold may not be the original style manifold with the heat riser. It's an adjustable plate that directs heat around the intake chamber in the winter setting. If you don't have this plate or it is stuck in the summer setting, that would also affect your performance.

I would definitely keep it original. Rebuild the front axles. Swap the bronze cone for a roller bearing if you choose, and put some better tires on it and enjoy it as is.

Comment

Working...
                                X