Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Behind the Barn Find: 1962 W500

Hi everyone,

I have been running around in some W100 Sweptline era trucks for several years. A while back we bought a summer house near Rogue River, OR and decided to outfit ourselves with an old crawler and a water truck. Being a true Mopar family (66 Charger, 66 Coronet 2dr-ht, 66 Coronet covt, etc) we started looking and asking around about medium duty W-series Sweptline Power Wagons to use as a small tanker. This is what I came up with in two weeks of networking and two months of negotiating. It needs lots of TLC but I am very excited to learn as we tear into it.

edit: I can no longer hot link to my google share so here is the link to the W500 pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10271...553?banner=pwa

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Those W500's seems to be popping up everywhere now.

I'm not sure how those Dualmatic hubs work.

What transfer case is that, doesn't look like the normal Rockwell T223?

Good luck with her.

Bucky

Comment

I wish I could tell you on the t-case. This truck was an ODOT plow truck before it was purchased from the state circa '68 and converted to a backhoe to clean out the irrigation ditches.

I will take more time to look through the parts books that Mopat was nice enough to lend me. Both the clutch and brake systems need to be bled so I'll start with that.

Comment

Jeremiah,

Nice find and looks like a great start. Keep us posted on the trucks transformation.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

That is an awesome rig!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            I'm not sure how those Dualmatic hubs work.
            Pull lever out, rotate pin 1/2 turn, push lever back in. Do all levers.

If you only engage some levers, you may break the hub under load.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              Pull lever out, rotate pin 1/2 turn, push lever back in. Do all levers.

If you only engage some levers, you may break the hub under load.
              Thanks. I honestly did not know that. I have seen similar hubs in pictures, mostly on pre 1960 military vehicles.

Bucky

Comment

First set of hubs I ever owned were Dualmatics I bought from a NAPA store in about 1974.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

nice truck!

that looks like good one. the instructions for the dual matics is on the dash sticker I believe. does it have the PTO on drivers side of the transmission pointing forward to drive a front winch? that is the hard part to find if you want front winch.

everything about it looks like a 61 but it has the 62 and up grill?? maybe the changed the grill out at some point. the 61 grill looks great but is very wimpy

Comment

Just looked over the pictures again. Those frame reinforcement plates must have been a Dodge Factory item, as my '64 W500 has the exact same plates. I had assumed they were added by the Fire Truck Conversion Company, but now I don't think that is the case.
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                      Just looked over the pictures again. Those frame reinforcement plates must have been a Dodge Factory item, as my '64 W500 has the exact same plates. I had assumed they were added by the Fire Truck Conversion Company, but now I don't think that is the case.
                      Both my rigs have them, as have the other few W500/600 I have seen in person.

Bucky

Comment

year

I ran the VIN over at the sweptline registry and it comes up as a 62. weird must be very early as it has lots of 61 details.

Comment

Interesting. I attempted to see if ODOT had any info on it but they have long since purged their archives from that era.

Comment

Working...
                          X