New to the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board

I just purchased a fantastic 1946 WDX and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a liner for the bed. the wood is in great shape and I wondered if anyone had any luck with anything? this is not a "trailer queen" but i also want to try to take care of it. any experiences worth passing along? thanks.

Take some measurements and look at the big rubber floor mats for truck beds. Might have to get one custom cut, or cut it yourself, but it would be the only way I can think of you can protect the wood without permenantly covering it with a coating like LineX, which I wouldn't recommend on the wood floor anyway. Maybe on the bed sides, but they won't protect the metal from any big hits, and if anyone wants to restore it later they will hate you as that stuff is hard to remove naturally.

Only problem with any of the matts or drop-in liners is they will trap water and debris between them, which especially for the wood can hasten it's deterioration. Might be one of those things you only put in when it's time to haul something.

Let us know what you find, and post some pics, would love to see what you're working with!

Comment

thanks

exactly as i expected. i was checking out things like "weather tech" but am concerned about water build up. as you correctly point out, it might be a put in and take out kind of deal. appreciate the help!

Comment

1946 wdx

Last edited by ehbases; 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM. Reason: wrong header

Comment

Really sharp looking truck! Let us know what you end up doing.

Comment

will do

i appreciate the passion on here and hope to add some value!

Comment

Originally posted by ehbases View Post
              exactly as i expected. i was checking out things like "weather tech" but am concerned about water build up. as you correctly point out, it might be a put in and take out kind of deal. appreciate the help!
              Carpet.
              Works just fine for protecting the wood from loads -especially gravel- and easily rolls up when it rains.

Makes the bed more comfortable for hay rides and you can even vacuum it for date night.

Comment

Very nice truck!
                Are those 11X16 tires?
                I agree with the others, use a mat or carpet when you have to haul.
                A good wood bed increases the visual appeal of the truck, and a spray on coating would lower the value of the truck IMHO.

Comment

appreciate the feedback

Comment

That is a very nice truck, I usually run to the nearest farm and fleet store, Tractor Supply type of store and pick up a horse stall mat. They are very durable and inexpensive, the down side is they are only 4 feet by 6 feet long.
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

excellent suggestion

thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
                        That is a very nice truck, I usually run to the nearest farm and fleet store, Tractor Supply type of store and pick up a horse stall mat. They are very durable and inexpensive, the down side is they are only 4 feet by 6 feet long.
                        But man are they heavy.

Comment

There are also mat sections that key together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. They can be cut to fit any bed or horse trailer perfectly and take just a few minutes to put in and take out. They are much easier to store, as they can be stacked, and very easy to handle in their individual sections, usually less than 2 feet square. They are available, usually, in most ag stores.

cd
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor
                          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                          X