The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    So what on earth is out there that meets my needs? And does not cost 700 to a 1000 dollars each?

Bruce

Been at this on and off for months now. I need a sponsor!
    Unfortunately, it has become a tall order to stay on R16 wheels. The automotive industry has moved away and 17" has become the new standard as the 40" tire is more stable on a 17" wheel due to shorter sidewall, but not too short that it prevents the tire from gaining the maximum pattern. New off road tire design is intended to achieve three things; Maximum footprint, maximum ground clearance, and maximum lateral stability. Obviously as one increases, typically at least one of the others suffer. Increasing wheel diameter is a method used to maintain ground clearance without increasing lateral stability. Also, the larger the contact to the wheel surface, the less chance of spinning the tire in the bead, and the harder it is to break the bead seal if you aren't running a beadlock wheel. Unfortunately, it appears that since the 40" tire is the new 35", and the 42 and 43" tire is the standard, you and I may still fall behind the times by just going to the R17" wheel. This is where my justification in the R20 comes from. You can get a Conti MPT, in about a 41" diameter on an R20 wheel for around $450. This is a popular setup that Winslow is using on his Legacy trucks. It looks really good, rides a little harsh, and is heavy, but the XZLs and XMLs are also fairly heavy.

The Intercos that your friend has are a rare thing in my experience. The tire just falls extremely sup-par in the offroad terrain we have here in the eastern and south eastern parts of the US. Everyone I four-wheel with now has gone to the Maxxis tire world. The Trepador, and Creepy Crawler are both amazing tire. There is another mid-level MT about to hit the market from Maxxis also, the full size listing hasn't been released yet that I've seen. It looks similar to the Toyo MTs.

Unfortunately, what we run is simply obsolete. I have also heard rumors that Yellow Sea is trying to produce and import the XZL soon; however... thats just rumors from the Expedition forums I visit on occasion.

Also, the 38" R16 Goodyear that I mentioned above, is now out of production according to my dealer friend. He said he tried to order a set for a customer not long ago and they are discontinued. Its a tough battle.

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
    You guys have way to much fun building and enjoying your trucks. Thank you for sharing with all of what you do, and how you do it.
    No problem! I'm glad people are enjoying it! Sometimes it just feels like its us and the crickets in here.

I am almost finished with my clocked parking brake assembly for the divorced NP205. I also started on my shifter reaction support plate so that the cylinders have something to work against. It is amazing how easily this case shifts when you back off the spring pressure on the detents. I am going to adjust the springs to match a moderate stiff shift for the cylinders but keep it stiff enough that if the truck bleeds off air pressure sitting that it doesn't unshift on accident.

I've got some bronze oilite washers for the springs to ride against in the above picture. Still need to drill, tap, and counter bore the hole for the side post pull back spring.

And this is the reaction plate so far. It will have two support rails welded to it and then those will share the support of the push-pull cable bulkhead fitting for the parking brake cable where it meets the adjustment rod for the parking brake and goes over the T-case.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• We had 10000 visits last month

That is a decent amount of crickets Alex.
      Yellow Sea tires- I am surprised they have not gotten around to the larger 16 X 11 x 39.5 clone. I would think the sales would be better than the 9 inch ones they produce at present.
      I salvaged the defrost vents out of a PW cab I found rotting in the bush. I will go back and remove the front window tape mechanism and the driver side sun visor at a later date. cab is a smooched, rusty, crushed pile of scrap. I do not need the parts but they needed saving. Trading material or I may end up using them.

take care
      Bruce

tracked down a baby owl today, proud of myself for picking up on the sign and waiting to hear his call. Very hard to hear, right on the edge where you can not detect the sound. Will post a picture if I ever manage to earn my privileges back. How is this carryall related? I was in the carryall when I found the old crushed cab, the owl was near by.

Comment

...Yellow Sea tires- I am surprised they have not gotten around to the larger 16 X 11 x 39.5 clone. I would think the sales would be better than the 9 inch ones they produce at present.
        I asked them about this about a year ago. They have to produce 1000 tires per run minimum. Not an inexpensive venture. They told me they would not be doing the 11.00x16's based on the sales of the 9.00x16's. Not enough interest. Too bad.

I think when they sell off the remaining 9.00x16's, they will not do another run. If you're interested in them you might want to get them while they have some.

Clark

Comment

• Thanks Clark

I would have bought a set of the 11's but have no use for the 9"s. The 9's are too small for the off road driving I do and do not look right on the carryall. 35's look fine on my one ton Chev but when I put them on the carryall the truck looked silly. Reminded me of a low rider. A 64 impala on 13 inch rims came to mind. Not sure what route I will take but for the time being I will travel with a flat kit and keep and eye on the side walls. Found a couple of folks who have had the whole side wall split on their older tires. That is a concern. A bit hard to repair. I see pro comp has a 40 inch, not too enamored with the tire though.

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce, here is an R16 Bias in a 42" flavor, there is also a 39.5 but it is mega wide.

http://www.pitbulltires.com/ProductD...ERBIASLTPARENT

Also they have it in their Growler.

http://www.pitbulltires.com/ProductD...OGBIASLTPARENT

Comment

• 1942 Dodge Carryall on Craigs 1 of 300

says it is a civvie but it has olive drab under the top coat. Can be yours for only 10 grand. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ct...?lang=es&cc=mx

Pit bulls - saw a set, a tad too fat I think and not exactly quiet.

Comment

• Heres one for ya.. No price... Yikes, who knows what it is "worth".

http://usedmotorzcity.com/citroen-fo...ary-wc-53.html

Looks like its in Salt Lake, so I imagine its close to a few of our friends on here.

Comment

• trip number two

Going out for a longer trip in the Carryall. Lots of windy roads, which will be interesting to see how my wife feels about riding in a vehicle that has no sway bars and 12 -14 inches of suspension travel. The road is popular with motor cycle riders, many catch the ferry just to spend a day riding on the road. Some of the corners are banked the wrong way and are what I refer to as compound curves. They are difficult to navigate at speed, and can bite back if a person is going too fast for a given vehicle.
                  It is going to rain so I have a tarp to use as an awning. I need to figure out how to make the system work with that carryall. The plan is to tie one side down have the tarp go over the roof and create the awning. Adjustments will be made as necessary.
                  Because I have no spare, at least not yet. I am taking a patch kit and hopefully enough gear to get air into the tire if needed.
                  Another addition is a set of plugs for the steering box hoses that connect to the ram assist. That and some teflon tape and steering fluid. I suspect the system would need need fluid than one quart if it sprang a leak. The system holds 3 to 4 quarts of fluid.
                  Going out side to prep the truck, check fluids, lights and give it a light grease job.
                  Had the truck in some nasty areas last week, I dragged my rear bumper for the first time. I may add a roller at a future date. The departure angle is not as good as I like but that is due more to the design of the vehicle than to any mods that I have done. I forgot to hit the air bags on the rear, I need to learn to air them up for more clearance in some situations and dump the air once the area has been navigated.
                  Very busy around here, still no interior work and the new turbo is still sitting on the shelf.
                  I will fill you in with a trip report once i am done. Some guy caught me in a parking lot today, i think I could get a full Ford or Dodge truck with one ton drive train for free. Not sure what he has or what I would do with it. Cummins 6bt and a Ford frame and axles and a M37 body? How long till my wife spots that stuff in the back yard? " Its a new wood truck" Not sure if that would go over or not.
                  Tires - there sure are a lot of Continental tires used in Europe on military trucks and expedition vehicles.

you folks take care out there.
                  Bruce

Alex that carryall with the weird faces spray painted on the sides has been for sale in the past. Same pictures in fact. A bunch of WC53 parts showed up on ebay last week.

Comment

• That was more fun than I would have thunk.

Might write an article on that trip. One concern is I had the HC1 turbo up at 900 degrees on quite a few occasions. Had it get there on a hill and it does not seem to drop if I down shift and bring the speed down. On the highway I was running for a ferry and was doing maybe 63 miles an hour and the temp crept up to the 900 degree range too.
                    If this is an issue with the HC1 I am wondering about the HX30 Holset. I think it will take some work to keep the temps down. Gotta build me some kind of cold air intake box for starters.

Comment

Might write an article on that trip. One concern is I had the HC1 turbo up at 900 degrees on quite a few occasions. Had it get there on a hill and it does not seem to drop if I down shift and bring the speed down. On the highway I was running for a ferry and was doing maybe 63 miles an hour and the temp crept up to the 900 degree range too.
                      If this is an issue with the HC1 I am wondering about the HX30 Holset. I think it will take some work to keep the temps down. Gotta build me some kind of cold air intake box for starters.
                      I've noticed mine climbs a lot more since I went to the larger tires, it drops pretty quickly once I remove the load from the engine though, but it has little to do with engine speed, and much more to do with engine load, and the steeper gearing the larger tires apply does show in the EGT gauge.

I really need to build shrouds for the front of my rad assembly to help force air through the condenser and intercooler, I'll be interested to see how that changes things.

Comment

• Fumbling along still. I have a separate thread for my build in the Diesel powered trucks section, just to keep things all in one spot, however I am still going to show my head in here some.

Recent creative process unfolding.

Air shifted twin stick setup for the Divorced NP205.

There is going to be a brace plate between the two that then the parking brake cable to pull rod connection bulkhead will be supported from.

Comment

• michelin tires and a stuck carryall

Was out in the bush clearing a old trail into a lake. There is one tank trap on the way in that I had no trouble going in on but on the way back out I was surprised to find I spun a tire. Not only that, 3 other tires were spinning along with that one.
                          I was in stupid low, which is something like a 148 to 1 crawl ratio. Was running 25 lbs which is a big part of the issue. Those big lugs have no syping in them. So once I hit some wet roots and old buried logs the tires would just spin on them. I took about 30 tries and several lines but once a tire found a root the truck would crab off that line towards the trees.
                          So I took out the winch cable and found it spooled out great but was intermittent going in. I managed to pull my self out with the M15000 Warn but was left with a few feet of cable that refused to go back in. Out I can hear the solenoid make a solid click. In I hear a whimpy click. I am in the act of pulling the grill and removing the camera wiring in an effort to get at the winch. I obtained an extra control and the same thing happens so I have eliminated that as being a source of the problem. I was lucky to get out of there. Seems the only time the winch worked was when I needed it. This is not due to load, the problem happened before I ever got a load to the winch.

Alex that is way cool. Please keep posting here. There are quiet times and times when a few other posters show us their machines and progress. It is quite right now but that should change.

take care
                          Bruce

Honestly I was surprised that I was stuck, I have crawled over a lot worse stuff, but I do avoid driving over greasy wet logs and through streams. This is the only crossing and the combination of wet tires and wet logs or green roots was more than the truck could handle.

Comment

• Shifter works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKT_5nwBJOw

https://youtu.be/RKT_5nwBJOw

Comment

• Man a 4BT sure rattles a lot of things loose.

So I am under the carryall doing an inspection and think "that trannie bolt looks loose". Sure enough it is loose and so are two others, the third is missing. These bolts were torqued and fully covered in locktite. I found a few other nuts , bolts, and clamps loose as well. two thousand miles and I vibrate a bolt right out of the transmission, that is absurd.
                              I am looking at after coolers for my intake air. The engine needs to have the injector lines changed when adding the cooler. Some folks say the fuel pump needs to be adjusted when adding the after cooler and other folks who have installed one have found that it worked fine without any changes to the fuel supply.

Alex : You are into the crawler world. On the inside rim of a wheel rim is a little bead that helps keep the tire in place. Any idea who makes a steel wheel with the same internal bead on the outside lip of the wheel. I know that they are available but have no idea about who makes them. In effect they make a rim with two internal tire retention beads.

You shifter works quite well. You are going to have more air lines than a semi.
                              VIAIR compressors- I have one, not impressed with how long it takes to fill an air mattress, let alone a tire.

Comment

• Up dates and out takes " is that a Willys?... Nope ..are you sure? "

The pursuit of 40 inch tires continues. The Pro Comps are $525.00 Canadian and on the plus side they last for a long time, 70,000 miles for some folks. The down side is the compound is hard and the tires do not perform all that well on ice or in snow.
                                The Nitto Mud Grappler is a little bit better in snow and from what I find ok on ice as well, but the cost runs $680.00 Canadian.
                                The Goodyear Kevlars come in at $800.00 a tire, and from what I find asking around is they work quite well in the snow and ok on ice. Add 13% to each of the above tires and the price gets nasty. By the time I add a set of rims and balancing the Goodyear tires would come in at over 4 thousand dollars. That is an expensive proposition.
                                I am really looking into the Cummins after cooler. If I was doing this again the common rail at 170hp with all the bells and whistles would be a done deal.
                                Pulled the battery cover off today. Glad I did. It was full, I mean really full, I am saying it was stuffed full, of leaves, sticks, mud and a couple of stones. The only thing missing was a beaver. One of the hold downs was broken and the other full of cracks. The hold downs were less than 6 months old. I am creating some aluminum straps for the time being.
                                I still like driving the truck, even rowing through 3 gears in the time it takes to cross an intersection is entertaining. Yes I would do it differently if I was to do it all over again. But to date nothing bugs me and on the road the truck is the most comfortable vehicle we own. Rides better than our 2014 Fit according to my wife. We certainly can drive greater distances without getting cranky.
                                And the twin transfer cases? I would not think twice about adding them to a build.

Take care out there
                                Bruce

Sure wish I was tight with a tire store owner .....or heck I had a sponsor.

Comment

Working...
                                X