here is a pic for no reason....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here is a pic for no reason....

it is saturday night and I am at work. I would rather be plowing with my m37......

My plow hasnt budged in almost a month. There isnt any snow to push and its beyond frustrating.
    Nice pic though!

Comment

Bring it over my house. We have been getting snow almost everyday. Not a lot all at once but it is starting to add up. At breakfast today I looked out at the thermometer and it was at -0-. As I am eating I hear the radio guy saying its going to get cold for the next few days and some real snow for Wednesday.
      I thought "its going to get cold?"

Comment

Snow Plow

Great image! thanks for posting it. My M37 was a similar orange color when I bought it in 1978.

Comment

Another "No Reason" M37 Plow Pic

Here's my 1953 M37 with an 8' Fisher Plow, I only wish I had the time to hook up the power angle!
          Attached Files

Comment

I like it! It is fun to see the workhorses intead of the show trucks sometimes.

Comment

Here is what not to do.

Plowing at night - caught an edge of old snowbank and presto into the ditch.

Hi centered the entire frame - right side of the M in a 4 foot ditch - which means about 5 feet of snow to dig into.

In the process of getting out I managed to spin the truck roughly 90 degrees to the photo, with the back buried in the brook, and the frame stuck on the last storms snowbank.

Truck was at such an odd angle that the truck flexed and the starter foot pedal would slip by the starter arm - now that is frustrating. A truck in the ditch that you cant start. Not to mention the snow that was even with the top of the bed. Lots and lots of digging.

Finally winched myself out with the other M37 - of course I blew a brake line on the rescue M. Took about 3 hours of digging and winching to get myself out.

FUN FUN FUN

Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

What not to do......

I can't help but think about what would happen if the truck that was stuck that bad was a new GM, Ford or Dodge or import. Maybe no different, maybe it would have started up fine - ok I see that. You could sit in it and stay warm while you wait for the tow truck. But, all of that impact and rescue effort on a new vehicle probably would no doubt have received some expensive damage to the undercarriage or lower body, maybe frame twisting, plow frame damage, etc.........On the other hand,
                After extraction,and small repairs the overbuilt M37 would most likely continue on without a thought of spending time in the body shop or dealer...

Comment

Originally posted by jjefferson View Post
                  Here is what not to do.

Plowing at night - caught an edge of old snowbank and presto into the ditch.

Hi centered the entire frame - right side of the M in a 4 foot ditch - which means about 5 feet of snow to dig into.

In the process of getting out I managed to spin the truck roughly 90 degrees to the photo, with the back buried in the brook, and the frame stuck on the last storms snowbank.

Truck was at such an odd angle that the truck flexed and the starter foot pedal would slip by the starter arm - now that is frustrating. A truck in the ditch that you cant start. Not to mention the snow that was even with the top of the bed. Lots and lots of digging.

Finally winched myself out with the other M37 - of course I blew a brake line on the rescue M. Took about 3 hours of digging and winching to get myself out.

FUN FUN FUN

Jim
                  With the starter not lining up with the push rod I wonder if you lost a motor mount.
                  I have a crank with mine however I have never been able to start it if it is cold. I did hand start it once after it had been running . But it was a sweat builder.

My dear old dad used to say , "four wheel drive just lets you get stuck in more inaccessible places".

Comment

Old vs New.
                    One of the pastimes up here is when it snows we try to see who can get up the hill. The back of my property has a hill that is about 55% grade and about 70 yards long. It is fun to roar up in dry weather but it is way more fun to try and get up when there is 20 inches of snow.
                    My neighbor came over with his Ford 250 PU. It has a 400 plus cu.in engine. He hit the hill at full tilt boogie and got about half way up and spun out .
                    My turn with the M. and its giant 230 cu. in. engine.
                    Put her in second, engaged the 4WD and went for it .
                    It made it but if I had to go ten more feet I think I would have bogged down.
                    When I got to the top I got out and yelled down,,95 horse power!!!
                    He threw a snowball at me. Some times bigger is not better.

Comment

Thats funny.

Still not sure about the starter not lining up, and honestly until it warms up - don't really care. I just did rebuild the engine, and it was a rush to get it back in the truck - so the engine might be misaligned - but not by much. Now that I am unstuck the starter pedal is lined up perfect now. When I was stuck and everything flexed - it was pushing past the drivers side of the starter lever.

Was kind of fun -in a sick sense- to have all four wheel off the ground while sitting in the snowbank. When I finally got that last bit of snow out from under the frame the truck dropped about 4 inches with a snow muffled thud.

In regard to the new truck comment from WW - would have killed my daily 97 chevy pickup. Currently attempting to replace a bunch of body panels - how a 13 year old truck is so rusty is beyond me. Too much salt on the roads. Still baffles me - I used to wash the truck once or twice a week - and for all that I now have a bunch of rotten rocker panels.....

Oh well. It lets me buy more tools.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jjefferson View Post
                        Thats funny.

Still not sure about the starter not lining up, and honestly until it warms up - don't really care. I just did rebuild the engine, and it was a rush to get it back in the truck - so the engine might be misaligned - but not by much. Now that I am unstuck the starter pedal is lined up perfect now. When I was stuck and everything flexed - it was pushing past the drivers side of the starter lever.

Was kind of fun -in a sick sense- to have all four wheel off the ground while sitting in the snowbank. When I finally got that last bit of snow out from under the frame the truck dropped about 4 inches with a snow muffled thud.

In regard to the new truck comment from WW - would have killed my daily 97 chevy pickup. Currently attempting to replace a bunch of body panels - how a 13 year old truck is so rusty is beyond me. Too much salt on the roads. Still baffles me - I used to wash the truck once or twice a week - and for all that I now have a bunch of rotten rocker panels.....

Oh well. It lets me buy more tools.

Jim

Just wondering , are your rear motor mounts the solid rubber kind or the spring type. I think the spring type may allow the engine to rock over a bit more if they are not too tight. You were probably sitting on the oil pan.

Comment

The mounts are the rubber square pads.

The truck was hung up on the plow frame - thats probably only 5 inches off the ground - at least half of what the front differential is. And also hung up on the back of the bed / gas tank. Boy - I was out there shoveling forever. The silly truck kept walking itself into the deeper snow. By the time I was really stuck it had pivoted itself at least 90 degrees - into the really deep snow. Wouldnt have been so bad - but the man eating snowblower has just broken the day before and was on the fix list. Comical how that works.

I did check the mounts when she was stuck and they were all tight with the little retainer wire still intact. It might be that the cab mounts are shot and that the snow was torqueing cab and not really the frame. The body of the truck is mostly rust held together with blue paint.

In any event she is plowing now. Noticed a right rear hub leak, but as I recall there was a little weeping there before.

Jim

Comment

Well it will be Spring soon maybe you can just wait until then to dig it out.

My wife goes with me some times for a run up the mountain on an adventure.
                            One time she said " something is ratteling". I said " No , there is one thing holding still while everything else on the truck is banging into it , thats what you are hearing".
                            She said , "Oh".

Gotta love her..

Comment

Other no reason pics. I dont know if this will work or how big the pics will be . Its the first time trying this . here goes.
                              It should be one of the truck in my driveway and one up on the hill..

Comment

Working...
                              X