Power Wagon Advertiser Forums Vintage Powerwagons Power Wagon Advertiser Magazine

Go Back   Power Wagon Advertiser Forums > MILITARY & CIVILIAN DODGE TRUCK RELATED FORUMS > Diesel powered trucks, engines, & conversions

Diesel powered trucks, engines, & conversions All matters diesel; original and conversion, operation & repair

Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Don in Missouri
Registered

4bt harmonic balancer

Has anyone sucessfully put a harmonic balancer on a 4bt? The 4bts I've seen have a simple crank pully with no weight attached. I'm told, and believe that, the more inertial weight-the better for smoothing out the pulsations/vibrations, and every litt bit will help to reduce fatigue craking of automatic transmission and other components.

I have my crank at the machine shop now getting it banlanced with a 6bt harmonic balancer. It looks like the 6bt balancer is suppose to have an alignment pin to keep it from wiggling on the crank. The 4bt crank has no hole for an alignment pin.

Is a different balancer recommended?

I'm thinking about getting some bolts machined to hold the balancer on the crank tighlty. Otherwise it moves around on the bolts and I fear the balance job will not take.

Problem is the harmonic balancer
Don in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Don in Missouri
Registered

Could the crank be drilled to insert a dowell pin to hold the balancer in place? Better question-has anybody done it, adn knwo ho hard the crank is to drill?
Don in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Cheyenne Dave
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Missouri View Post
Could the crank be drilled to insert a dowell pin to hold the balancer in place? Better question-has anybody done it, adn knwo ho hard the crank is to drill?
Your machinist should be able to cut a couple keyways...I's rather see key stock used over any type of pinch bolt or pin. Remember that seals must slide over this surface, and we wouldn't want them damaged.

C.D.
1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
1954 Ford 800 tractor
1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS
Cheyenne Dave is offline   Reply With Quote