Restorable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Glass

I received my new glass last Friday too. The glass came from Chris Blattie in Billings MT. Chris has glass specs for just about any vintage American vehicle you can think of. Anyway I had 1/4" bronzed tempered glass cut for the wings, sides, and back, and clear laminate for the windshield. Chris had it shipped to my home in CO (with setting tape) for less than our local glass guy had me quoted for clear laminate all around. If anyone's interested, heres a link to his info:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...ldwide.614524/

I'll be installing all the glass back into the frames soon. I'm not sure how difficult it is to install glass, but If anyone has any tips or secrets I'd appreciate it.
    Joel
    Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Joel. Good to see more pics and more progress..

Keep it coming.

Greg.

Comment

Slick

Very nice turn out on the powder coating, and the bronzed glass is really wicked!!

Comment

Been awhile since I posted anything so I figured I'd give an update on things...
          Haven't been able to busy myself much with the truck lately, but I've found time for a few odds and ends. Part of the slow progress is just not having the body painted and available yet, but there are a few things to give attention to before then. Anyway, I finished varnishing the bed wood and I'm just giving it a bit more time to cure before I buff it out. Also started setting some glass. I ended up using setting tape instead of urethane. The windshield took a while but wasn't much of a pain. Hopefully I did things properly. I ran fluid film all through the frame and also put some in the glass channel. I might experiment with a small bead of urethane on the bottom and sides of the exterior of the windshield to prevent leakage. Not sure if I'll be able to give it enough body though, without making the bead an eyesore. I'm also not sure how well the setting urethane will do when exposed to much UV.

As far as the body goes, its taken a little longer than I expected, but the whole front end is in primer and just about ready for final paint now. I hope to have the cab back from paint in a couple of weeks here, and the bed soon after that.
          Attached Files

Comment

A few of the cab...
            Attached Files

Comment

Just ran into a better one of the wood. I used an Epifanes clear semi-gloss varnish over an epoxy sealer. It turned out well, but was a lot of work. I think about 8 coats and sanding between most of them. The little piece on the side is a spacer I had to make for between the underside of the bed wood and the bottom surface of the headboard. I had a few fitment problems and that was part of my fix.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!
                Are you using stainless steel bed strips and hardware or painted steel?

Comment

Originally posted by JReed View Post
                  ... The front bumper line-x'ed, haven't got around to rebuilding the winch yet. I'll probably wait on that till everything else is done.
                  Hello, great job on the truck! When you had the front bumper Line-x'ed, it looks like you had them do all the pieces individually, correct? Were there any fitment problems? Did it bolt together without any trouble? Also, I can't tell from the pic, did you have the extensions and brackets done or just the bumper and winch bracket pieces?

Thanks,
                  Clark

Comment

Beautiful work.

Comment

• Thanks guys.

Doc, I'm using stainless strips and hardware. I did almost paint both the wood and strips black cause I was getting frustrated with the varnish, but it turned out really nice with some patience. Just wasn't used to varnishing wood as porous as oak... doesn't apply as easily as walnut and some of the other woods I've finished. I've heard that a lot of the Power Wagons originally had painted black wood and strips, not sure though.

Clark, I actually did have a good portion of the bumper assembled when it was lined. I bolted the upper and lower brackets and the frame extensions to each bumper side and then tack welded both assemblies and removed all the bolts. I sprayed it like that and re-bolted it after the fact, which obviously looks a lot better. The cable guides and base angle were all sprayed individually though. I do think you would run into trouble if you tried to line the other parts individually. Just not enough clearance inside the bumper channel. The line-x on the frame extensions was no problem for me though. My extensions were a bit loose inside the truck frame and required some shimming anyway, so the line-x just made up for most of the difference. I mean't to snap a few pics of the backside of the bumper today ( to show the brackets and extension) but I spaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by JReed View Post
                        Clark, I actually did have a good portion of the bumper assembled when it was lined. I bolted the upper and lower brackets and the frame extensions to each bumper side and then tack welded both assemblies and removed all the bolts. I sprayed it like that and re-bolted it after the fact, which obviously looks a lot better. The cable guides and base angle were all sprayed individually though. I do think you would run into trouble if you tried to line the other parts individually. Just not enough clearance inside the bumper channel. The line-x on the frame extensions was no problem for me though. My extensions were a bit loose inside the truck frame and required some shimming anyway, so the line-x just made up for most of the difference. I mean't to snap a few pics of the backside of the bumper today ( to show the brackets and extension) but I spaced.
                        Thanks! That makes sense. I don't have any clearance anywhere, very tight fit. So, I'll tack them as well. Looks great! It would be nice to see a pic of behind the bumper and how you mounted your fog lamps.

Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                          Thanks! That makes sense. I don't have any clearance anywhere, very tight fit. So, I'll tack them as well. Looks great! It would be nice to see a pic of behind the bumper and how you mounted your fog lamps.

Clark
                          Here's a few pics, one of the frame extension too. I'll probably be running ground wires from the fog lamps back to some point on the frame. I like the original forged towing hooks a lot better, but they're pretty expensive, so I've got cheepos on there for now.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Looking really good! The LineX thing is dangerous, you quickly realize why people do entire vehicles in it, tough stuff! You're on the right track with the ground wires though, I doubt you have much if any metal-metal contact on that bumper back to the frame.

What hardware are you using for the bumper? Couldn't see any head markings in the photos. If it's stainless make sure to check the specs, most stainless hardware is not that strong and you don't want the toughest thing on the bumper to be the LineX.

Comment

• Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. Where did you get the rear bracket for the winch? Did you make it?

Clark

Comment

• Front tow hooks

I have an original set of tow hooks from a WDX that I will probably not need. I'd rather see them on your truck than those aftermarket ones you have now. They are straight, just need cleaning and painting. I'm in Longmont, and will be in Ft Collins in a week or so if you want to meet up. I might also need a private tour of the project ;).

Best,
                                Greg
                                Greg Coffin
                                Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                                1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                                1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                                1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                                1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                                1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Working...
                                X