Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many work trucks???

Hello all
    I`m fairly new here, been lurking for a while, getting a feel for the place. And I`m wondering, How many folks here use there FFPW`s as work trucks or wheelin` rigs?
    I have a feeling some people would look at how I use my B-1-PW as abuse of a classic, but she can sure do what newer rigs can`t do without breaking a sweat. My truck is unrestored, though I do what I can when I find money, and I mainly use her for hauling firewood out of some of our fairly rough old logging trails `round here, and any other hard, slippery, or rough work I need done.

You know I wouldn't feel bad about using it. Isn't that what they were made to do....work??

I met an old timer a couple years back. I still talk to him to this day. I saw him driving around a old PW and it had some rust, dents, etc etc. he bought the truck new. He loves it. He takes care of it and it purrs like a kitten. Anyway I asked him why he does it. He gave me two answers. One was, "I feel like I would be putting it out to pasture and die if I never used it" and two was "If I die tomorrow atleast my wife and kids can say I enjoyed my truck".

I say drive your truck and use it. If it makes you happy then its doing half its job.

Comment

That's my plan. I got suggestions to restore mine to stock, but while I see the desire for that, but I already have a garage queen. I bought mine because I needed another truck, had always wanted to do a full restoration, and this was much more interesting than just picking up some little used compact pickup.

It won't be a work truck, and probably won't do a lot of hard-core off-roading with it, but I do plan to use it for those tasks where nothing but a truck will work, or just because I want to drive it. Hence the desire to re-power it with the Cummins. Somthing a little more streetable and much more interesting.

Comment

Before I picked my PW I had planned on a cummins repower and newer axles, but after driving the old flathead and crashbox, I couldn`t stand to part with them. She`ll end up with 11.00x16s, lockers and possibly a ranger or similar overdrive, and I`ll be happy. Of course, I recently came by a `51 B-3-D I`m planning on putting a 6BT in now.......

Comment

I dive My mine all the time on/off road!

I have owned My 56 PW for 23 yrs. I drive it mostly on road but at no time am I afraid to go off road with it. I have owned a few other 4x4's and none of them could do what My 56 will do no sweat & with ease and all I have broken it 2 axels ,1 diff &1 shock so I would say go for it an have fun there is no better ride than a vintage PW.

Comment

I just finished putting on a new flat bed & dump unit. Working on the floor & sides as soon as the new bed strips get here. It was always intended to be a working truck.

Comment

I use two as work trucks at work, (gently but they still see a good ammount of off-road use!).

Comment

I do not use my truck for work per se, but I do drive her two to three days a week. I do use her for light work hauling stuff, but no more than two tons. the old girl deserves a lighter work load these days, she is 51 after all. and I think she knows that I take easy on her and so gives a little bit more of herself to me because of it. shes my baby. pwdave.

Comment

Working...
                X