New to me 1965 WM300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1965 WM300

I have been looking for a FFPW for a while now and decided to pull the trigger on one that was close to me...though the price was pretty reasonable from what the PO was originally asking, I am in A LOT deeper than I was hoping to be in a restoration. Truck has some pretty good frame rail rot as can be seen below, fortunately, I am a metal worker and with the exception of time, and the fact that I am going to have to explain to my wife why I have to do so much work to it, it doesn't intimidate me. It looks like some leaf spring keepers will be needed too (source???).
    These are the best pics I could take with fading light, though there is so much to do I don't really know where to begin, I think I will pull off the bed tomorrow and start fixing the frame. But then again, there is the complete lack of brakes too, so maybe I'll do that first. That's the great thing about projects, there is always so much to do.
    Attached Files

A few more.... it's hard to see it in it's full glory.
    Attached Files

Comment

WOW, I thought Mine was rusted BAD. Mine looked new compared to that!! Good luck with it!!

Comment

I know man, it really looks like a ship wreck.

Comment

I know you say your good at metal work, but IMHO, you need to get another frame and start over. Thats what I did and like I said, mine wasnt as bad as yours. It was just delaminating at the reinforcement section laid in over the frame. When I cut up my original frame, I saved all the mounts, so if you need spring mounts, cab mounts, whatever, let me know, I have a whole trucks worth. Mine is a 48, but I think its pretty much all the same, anyone????

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by defdes View Post
            I know man, it really looks like a ship wreck.
            Salted roads in the winter really eats them up if you don't keep it washed off. I thought my 66 was in bad shape with a few holes, butttttt I am in agreement with Nick you need a new frame.

I am a welder and with all that rust and rot I don't see where you can get any good metal to weld to.

Good Luck with your new project,
            Bob2

Comment

Agreed. If you are in VT, Tim Holloway can likely hook you up with a much better platform to put that sheet metal on. Good luck with it.

Comment

Where is Tim, is he on here?
                I have bought a few vehicles sight unseen before, but this one is a real disappointment.

Comment

Yes Tim is on here, if not any time soon, check on Joe's forum.

Comment

You can reach Tim at distinctiverestoration@yahoo.com He is located in Monkton and recently got several parts trucks. Your sheet metal looks good, but that frame is toast!

Comment

She looks right at home in that garage too!!

Comment

Hi John,
                        Got your email, but having trouble with my outgoing email. I have about 8 Power Wagon parts trucks here in Monkton, you are welcome to come by and see if any of the frames are of interest to you. My cell is 989-4106. It would be great to visit!
                        Thanks,
                        Tim
                        57 Power Wagon
                        Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
                        57 W-100
                        60 W-100
                        51 M37
                        61 Triumph TR-3A
                        80 Triumph Spitfire
                        09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                        05 Subaru Outback
                        10 speed bike
                        Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Wow! I thought Ohio was bad!

Did the previous owner sprinkle salt on everything and keep it wet with a spray bottle every week? I was dreading cutting 2 frames and splicing them to get 1 good one, I'm gonna rethink that one. I would definitely replace the frame. Roy

Comment

Originally posted by b4pw View Post
                            Did the previous owner sprinkle salt on everything and keep it wet with a spray bottle every week? I was dreading cutting 2 frames and splicing them to get 1 good one, I'm gonna rethink that one. I would definitely replace the frame. Roy
                            ...and then not photograph it or say anything other than it was a solid truck needing "some work". Anyway, sour grapes. It came from your area originally, I have sourced a possible donor from Tim which is the good news, the bad is that I am then going to have to try to separate those parts from that frame.... and who knows what I will then find. On the flip side, 3 years from now when I am done and laughing about it, I will have a truck on which I have touched every part and will know everything about inside and out.

Comment

Originally posted by defdes View Post
                              ... On the flip side, 3 years from now when I am done and laughing about it, I will have a truck on which I have touched every part and will know everything about inside and out.
                              That is EXACTLY the way to look at it. I did the same thing, bought and got a truck that was not what I thought it was, or told it was. But, your thought is right on, if you look at my photo bucket folder, I did a frame off restoration, and now I know every inch of that truck. Its a great feeling when you get it running and on the road to know it was a pile of metal that transformed into a truck that gets all kinds of thumbs up and great looks when its driven down the road

Comment

Working...
                              X