New to me 1965 WM300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
    If you are removing these parts, tear it in half if you have to. You will just need to dig it out. Try an O-ring pick or dental tool.
    Asked the guys a VPW, they said not to worry about replacing them, do you think otherwise?

Comment

I am sure it's not a must if the gasket segments are in place. I would try to dig them out, it's the thorough approach. I am betting you could get them out with an O-ring pick.

Imagine it as a personal challenge. :-)
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Imagine it as a personal challenge. :-)
        Ahhh, just one of the many. The person who cadged together the mount for the PS pump under the hood continued the 1/4" x 3" bracket all the way down and around the oil pan causing the last front PS side bolt to be almost completely inaccessible.... took 3 HOURS to pull the pan.
        I took the whole system apart under the hood to try to just remove the bracket, but it seems to be welded to something on the front cover. I'd have to take the radiator out to see what's doing which I am going to leave for another time as this snow ball is rolling and is as big as I want to deal with right now.

Comment

You lucky guy....

Comment

I forgot to index the cover when I popped it off to clean the strainer, is this oriented correctly? (dimple is to front of motor).
            Attached Files

Comment

^^^I'd love to button this up in the morning tomorrow, can anyone lend a hand on this cover plate issue question?^^^

*EDIT:
              Given this picture I just found from the Flying Tiger Transport rebuild, I am going to have to say that it must not matter too much.
              Attached Files

Comment

The main cap gaskets on the oil pan kit run about 3/8" long on both sides, should these be trimmed flush with the pan gasket or let it run long?
                I know the pan gasket is supposed to run long, but with this one intersecting it, it looks like too much interference.

Comment

Originally posted by defdes View Post
                  I forgot to index the cover when I popped it off to clean the strainer, is this oriented correctly? (dimple is to front of motor).
                  I don't know that it really matters.

Comment

The main cap gaskets on the oil pan kit run about 3/8" long on both sides, should these be trimmed flush with the pan gasket or let it run long?
                    I know the pan gasket is supposed to run long, but with this one intersecting it, it looks like too much interference.
                    Photo?

Comment

I don't know that it really matters.
                      VPW said to do it like this:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Photo?
                        Ive got to go out of town for business, I'll post a pic up tomorrow or Sat, thanks for the reply(ies).

Comment

Here be the condition, I am assuming I cut off the end cap gasket so it's about 1/8" long on either side (like I have it here on the right?)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here be the condition, I am assuming I cut off the end cap gasket so it's about 1/8" long on either side (like I have it here on the right?)
                            Yes.

Comment

Trimming them MAY work, but...

Yes.
                              I left both of my end gaskets long without any trimming. I centered them up so they were the same length at both ends. The side gaskets I stuck to the block with an adhesive, that I can not remember the name of now, but I call it gorilla snot. Then, when you draw the pan into position by tightening the bolts a little at a time in an even pattern, the end gaskets compress the extra length into place forming a tight seal where they meet the side gaskets.

This was how I did it. I was following the WDX and C-1 service manuals at the time. They state the gasket should be 1/8" to 1/4" long on each side. Mine were more like 3/8" long, but when I pressed down over the length of the radius with a spare bearing cap, this seemed to shorten them up to about 1/4" at each end.

My understanding was that if you trim the end gaskets, they will shrink overtime and will result in open gaps that will leak.

Comment

Very interesting, I was thinking about that compression/shrinkage factor, but I guess I under estimated it. Mine is more like what you are talking about, 3/8" on either side, seems like a lot to compress, but I guess I'll give it a go. I am using the "High Tack" Permatex that was suggested earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X