Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From non-detergent oil to detergent oil....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From non-detergent oil to detergent oil....

I have decided to clean-out my engine and start running detergent oil. I have about 1/4" of soft sludge in the bottom of the pan and intend to drop the pan and muck it all out, clean the pick-up screen etc. To what extent do I clean the inside of the block by hand? Do I wipe it down with a solvent, just use a rag without solvent or do neither? Of course I would wrap the bearings with clean rags first to keep anything out of them. I would follow the change with a couple of quick oil and filter changes. Perhaps using a hand sprayer and light mineral oil to spray things down with? Any advice would be appreciated.....Keith.

You should be able to find a commercial engine flush product provided in a quart container. It will have instructions. Run that after you desludge your pan.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

From non-detergent oil to detergent oil.....

Thanks as always.............Keith.

Comment

I prefer that approach to kerosene or some other home remedy.

Comment

I'm always reluctant to do any sort of a flush in the engine. You don't want anything that can affect the lubricity of the oil, and anything designed to break down the sludge in the engine has to affect the performance of the oil, even if only for a short time.

My preference would be to wipe down what you can (no solvents or similar) scrape out the crud you can get to, and then plan on performing more frequent oil and filter changes for the first few thousand miles. Let the detergents in the oil do its job slowly over the heat cycles and operating conditions of the engine.

Comment

Detergents only keep particulates in suspension, they do not clean already dirty surfaces.

Detergents are used in conjunction with dispersants which are designed to keep particles from clumping and coming out of suspension.

Oils are blended with detergent/dispersant packages. [assuming they are detergent oils]

Comment

My old mechanic friend, Chuck, (gone about 20 years now) used to say it was a real bad idea to run detergent oil in an old engine that you knew had non-detergent in it, or you didn't know the history. His reasoning was it could loosen up sludge and stuff that could accelerate the need for a rebuild. I always thought it good reasoning, but don't know if it was true or not.

Comment

The popular connotation of the term detergent causes people to think that, but it is not true. Detergent does not clean. It keeps particulate contaminants in suspension. By doing this it keeps an engine cleaner than it would otherwise be.

My source on this was several API [American Petroleum Institute] engineers, in conversation in the mid-70's. I was teaching automotive courses at Iowa State University; we had them in as guest lecturers for a day.

It's one of those old myths. They die hard. Much like the stories you hear, "My neighbor switched to Pennzoil and his engine blew up. You can't tell me it wasn't Pennzoil that did it."

I am sure we can't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
                  My old mechanic friend, Chuck, (gone about 20 years now) used to say it was a real bad idea to run detergent oil in an old engine that you knew had non-detergent in it, or you didn't know the history. His reasoning was it could loosen up sludge and stuff that could accelerate the need for a rebuild. I always thought it good reasoning, but don't know if it was true or not.
                  This is what my supervisor always taught me...

Comment

If its a flat head 6 I would also pull the valve covers and clean valve chamber , maybe adjust the valves while your there

Comment

Working...
                    X