Electric Wipers Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Wipers Installed

A while back I installed electric wipers on the 46. I should have taken a bunch of pics of the install, but didn't. I promise in the future to take my time a log any work with pictures :)

I am already converted to 12V, just an FYI. So this was a bit of a 'frankenwiper' project that turned out incredibly well, I am extremely happy with the finished product for the price. 2 complete wiper assembly's, fully functioning for under $100.

I used a generic hot rod single wiper motor from speedway motors. This is basically the unit I used. The one I got was Chrome and was $34 at time of purchase http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainl...per,38962.html

found out that you cannot run both motors off of one regular switch. So I just installed 2 separate switches, one for each side. I saw after there is a special switch to run 2 wipers. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...tors,4518.html

I had to remove the chrome housing and scrap it to get the motor to fit in the PW. It is a tight fit. The housing just keeps the elements out of the wiper motor as well as cosmetic, so being in the cab and behind a panel this was not a big deal for me.

Getting a power wire run up there was a bit of a chore. I wanted it nice and hidden in the window pillar. A coat hanger and some tape and we were in business.

These motors are a switched ground, the instructions are easy to follow so the switch side of things was easy.

I used a combination of the old vacuum rigs mounting assembly's with the new kit hardware to get the angle and depth of the mount correct. I did drill out the one larger outside mounting chrome piece from the vacuum assembly to work with the shaft of the electric unit, this really shored up the depth and angle of the new shaft.

Keep in mind this is a universal kit and motor shaft and wipers have to be cut to fit your application. Take your time. I ended up cutting the shaft 3 times to trial a perfect fit. Better too long and have to make a few adjustments, then too short and having to order a new kit. It took many cuts and adjustments to get the right length for the wipers with the sweep of the motor. Same principle here, better too long while test fitting.
    Attached Files

I mounted the switches in a left/right configuration and just turn on the one I want on. Also I had to reverse the cover plates so they give the assembly a bit more room. I just turned them over, painted the backside and remounted. Can't even tell that this is done.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for sharing!!! Do you think these will have enough power to deal with snow? Are they just on/off for speed? Can you park them both at the outside like the vacuum's?

Comment

I used them with snow worked fine. They are a left to right sweep so they only park to the left.

Comment

Nice install! I bought nearly identical motors to use in mine. What part of sask are you from?

Comment

Just outside Regina.

Comment

Me too, I'm about 75 miles south

Comment

If I leave now in my power wagon we can meet in May for a coffee :)

Comment

Ha ha ya pretty much

Comment

Winnipeg here!!

Comment

Working...
                    X