Bed styles- wood and steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed styles- wood and steel

I have seen a lot of wood beds on old power wagons but also have seen some with steel beds. Were both wood and steel offered from the factory? What was more common?

Wood was what was stock. Often owners, rather than replacing wood when it became damaged or rotted, placed steel over it or replaced the wood with it.
    Dodge started out with oak, then went to pine. Not sure of the date when the change over occurred.

Comment

Thanks for the response and info. I didn't think steel came from the factory but wasn't 100 percent sure.

Comment

You are welcome.
        You can see from my Avatar what my bed looks like now. When I got the truck in 2002, no bed wood was left; the bed was taken apart by the previous owner.
        I got local white oak cut and planed, then I finished it with marine varnish. Dodge originally painted the wood black, but I liked the wood grain. Also Dodge had the strips as the body color I believe, but I liked stainless steel.
        I am very happy with my bed. But, if I had wanted a completely restored stock truck, I would have used painted steel strips and hardware, and wood that was painted black.
        A friend stained his wood black, and that is a nice way to go as it looks more stock, but is easier to maintain than paint. Also, you can still see the wood grain - it is nicer looking than paint.

Comment

Working...
        X