No announcement yet.

1948 power wagon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the details/plans on how the stretch will be done?
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Plan is to stretch it 5" right behind the door. I have also decided to put Chevy corner windows in at the suggestion of many friends/neighbors and my boys who are helping with this project. I worry how the corner Windows will look with the narrow rear window and have thought about making the rear window the same size. I still have time to decide once it is fitted on the chassis and goes to be painted.

To make this more of a daily driver I have a '76 W200 chassis that it will go on. I struggled with all the work of replacing axles, disc brakes, power steering with the original frame that I have chosen to go this route. Hopefully not offending the die hards and it will probably end up being just as much work trying to fit it on a slightly narrower frame. Bummer that I loose the original wheels but my boys are excited to pick new ones out so that is a plus.

Engine will be a 2016 Hemi that had 1000 miles before being totaled. That has made my youngest happy and eager to start fitting it on when I get home. I have also listen to those to try and keep it in the Dodge family and not use an LS. Still need to sand blast the chassis and paint it. That will be fun as I have not painted before and toying with Eastwood aerosol primers and paints since it is a chassis.

Why 5"? That is the difference in wheelbases and a normal bed with spare tire could be put on. Well since making that decision I have purchased another 48 PW that will be restored hopefully. To lessen the pain in the wallet of 2 now I have chosen to go with a flat bed that some came with. My current one was missing the bed so to replace it with new parts was getting to be far to expensive. So I may ask for advice on this endeavor as I have come across your site and have questions already.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it answered your question.

Comment

Very unique looking forward to seeing the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd M View Post
          Plan is to stretch it 5" right behind the door. I have also decided to put Chevy corner windows in at the suggestion of many friends/neighbors and my boys who are helping with this project. I worry how the corner Windows will look with the narrow rear window and have thought about making the rear window the same size.

5-Window will make visibility easier, and the Cheby parts are more likely red-ably available than say a Power Giant for donor parts.

To make this more of a daily driver I have a '76 W200 chassis that it will go on. I struggled with all the work of replacing axles, disc brakes, power steering with the original frame that I have chosen to go this route.
          I like the idea, and fitting it to a narrower chassis is less work than a wider one. Also keeping it Dodge is very acceptable. I know some po-po the idea, but you might be able to make some adapters and use the stock wheels.

Engine will be a 2016 Hemi that had 1000 miles before being totaled. That has made my youngest happy and eager to start fitting it on when I get home. I have also listen to those to try and keep it in the Dodge family and not use an LS.
          NICE! Yep I love to see a Dodge guy keeping the parts in the family.

So I may ask for advice on this endeavor as I have come across your site and have questions already.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it answered your question.
          Ask all the questions you have, we are here to help and share the knowledge.

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

Comment

Valentines gift picked up and looking forward to working on getting it set on the chassis. Enough wires on it to wrap around the earth 1.5 times I believe.
            Attached Files

Comment

Todd, nice, what's the details on that Engine/Tranny/TC?

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

Wow Todd, you have really stepped up this build. It is going to be very exciting watching this come together.
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Stopped by to see how the progress was going on the stretch of the cab. Not as far as they said they would be but progressing and they seem to be doing a good job as far as I know. Trying to wait patently.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! I should have done something like that too, would help get my oversized carcass in the drivers seat

Comment

I can understand not being further though, that next step is the hard one. You either need to find the right contour to steal the patch from, or you have to fabricate the patches yourself. The roof patch could come from another cab, but the side patches are a little harder since you need to match the character lines of the cab. Maybe from the back wall of another cab, or a door panel?

Where are those inches going to come from on the frame? Shortening the bed?

Love to know what they end up doing! Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                        Todd, nice, what's the details on that Engine/Tranny/TC?
                        2016 Hemi, 8 speed automatic, and BorgWarner TC that came from totaled Ram 1500 4x4 provided I can get front axle to be a driver side drop. Will lose the PTO winch but will use it on a future 48 restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                          Where are those inches going to come from on the frame? Shortening the bed?
                          I plan on putting all this on a 76 Dodge W200. The wheelbase of the 76 Dodge W200 is 5" longer. Since then I have decided to go with a Stake bed so I could have gone with a longer extension and adjusted the stake bed. Staying with the 5" extension however enables a bed to placed on later if decided.

Comment

Waiting patiently for the cab stretch to be completed but progress has been slow. Everyone keeps reminding me that it takes time and not to rush/push them but it has reached 2 months now. Since I will be gone next week for a month I have resided to waiting in hopes that it is done when I gat home.

Fortunately or unfortunately I have been able to put some time in on another 48 PW (white one below) that I just received that was not running. I got the engine to run after changing the coil, plugs, condenser, and points. Got lucky that it was only that I suppose. Will clean the fuel tank, once I figure out how that should be done then attempt to run it on its own fuel system. Brake master cylinder overhaul is required. Not looking at that due to its location.

The bed on the white PW has been modified heavily and my boys are pushing to remove it and put it behind the stretched cabin PW. I guess they are correct if I want to keep the white one original. Will ponder that over the next month.

My neighbor just laughs and asks how many PWs do I need.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Was able to figure out what were original parts on the fuel delivery side of things between the two 48 PWs and the help of Matthew - THANKS. I was able to get them installed before being sidetracked.

One of my helpers FFA project - a bumper that has more steel then our trucks and making a display stand for the Houston Rodeo. Sometimes life gets in the way of my goals but I certainly enjoyed helping him.

Comment

Cab sides have been completed to match the character lines including the one along the windows. The roof section is being completed on an English wheel and was not ready at this time.

While there noticed that the truck was already 82" tall sitting in 30-31" tires. Now I understand why the guys doing the sheet metal referred to it as a behemoth.

As it sits it will not work with my current garage as that door opening is 82 - 82 1/2 inches tall. I will have to lower the cab 4" to ensure that when I put 38 inch tires on I can still get it inside. In the two photos you can see I will have to cut a section out of the rear of the cab and raise the floor slightly to get this to work.

I have been told it will all be completed this Wednesday. Progress has been slow as they have been getting other vehicles out for car shows around Texas.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X