1985 prospector spindle problem,cad axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 prospector spindle problem,cad axle

Pulled wheel and spindle to find spindle (torrenton bearings chewed to bits.) the outer spline shaft was chewed up also. Went to salvage yard got spindle with good bearings and spline shaft off a 1990 w-150. installed new u-joint on my inner axle and installed the the spindle to get a spline that wont center to install locker. My left axle tube has a bearing inside almost to the outer end and my axle is machined to match. The donor truck axle has the bearing close to the dog coller(cad)and only rides on the spindle bearings. I can't understand why the spline coming out is aimed up. The new spline shaft is the same as my old one and the spindle is strait (checked it by changing the clock position on the six bolts from the knuckle)and appears to be the same as my old one.
    I guess that is why the bearings in the spindle were toast in the first place.
    I put my original spindle back on (less the chewed up bearings) untill I can resolve this problem.
    One mechanic told me the axle bearing would be enough to work alone.
    Another mechanic told me that I will tear the thing up without the torrenton bearings in place.
    Any Idea's...???
    Roger
Working...
X