full flow oil filter 230/251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full flow oil filter 230/251

I know others have all ready done this type of conversion.

I also respect those who have extensive experience and skill in fabrication, and machining. Both of which I do not have to any great degree.

Still for the last month I have been wondering how, and if a oil filter could be adapted to the oil pump. My thinking so far goes as follows:

What if I was to modify the oil pump (rotor/gear) cover, to allow for the oil under pressure to exit from that 'end' of the pump, then travel to a spin-on oil filter near the fuel pump, and then return to the oil pump for delivery to the engine.. How the oil gets returned to the main oil galley has yet to be discovered

What I am wondering right now is: do you think the oil pump cover would be a suitable place to get the oil supply for the oil filter?

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
    I know others have all ready done this type of conversion.

I also respect those who have extensive experience and skill in fabrication, and machining. Both of which I do not have to any great degree.

Still for the last month I have been wondering how, and if a oil filter could be adapted to the oil pump. My thinking so far goes as follows:

What if I was to modify the oil pump (rotor/gear) cover, to allow for the oil under pressure to exit from that 'end' of the pump, then travel to a spin-on oil filter near the fuel pump, and then return to the oil pump for delivery to the engine.. How the oil gets returned to the main oil galley has yet to be discovered

What I am wondering right now is: do you think the oil pump cover would be a suitable place to get the oil supply for the oil filter?
    The full flow oil filter conversion is far easier than you may think. The oil pump itself is not modified at all. Rather, the oil pump boss on the block (where the pump is bolted on) is where the conversion takes place. Three holes must be drilled in the outlet port (that is the one closer to the front of the engine block).

Two holes are taped for oil lines ; the one closest to the pump takes oil out of the engine to a remote spin-on type filter and the one closest to the block returns the filtered oil to the block. A smaller hole is drilled and tapped between the two and serves to lock a plug in the galley between the two.

Hope this helps.

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
      Hope this helps.
      C.D.
      It does, although I was trying to keep the block unmodified.. but your solution is simpler than mine was developing into, and complex is rarely a good development.

Thanks
      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
        It does, although I was trying to keep the block unmodified.. but your solution is simpler than mine was developing into, and complex is rarely a good development.

Thanks
        Jason
        Jason,

I have seen several engine blocks that had a boss cast in the area that would be drilled. I took that to mean that Chrysler had already thought of an additional filtration system and made this provision with that in mind.

As often as these engines were used as stationary power plants (ie, center pivot irrigation, saw mills, etc.) full flow filtration makes a lot of sense.

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
          Jason,

I have seen several engine blocks that had a boss cast in the area that would be drilled. I took that to mean that Chrysler had already thought of an additional filtration system and made this provision with that in mind.

As often as these engines were used as stationary power plants (ie, center pivot irrigation, saw mills, etc.) full flow filtration makes a lot of sense.

C.D.
          Dave,

The 2 Chrysler Industrial engines that I had (IND 7A & IND 32) had the option of either bypass filtration or full flow. I ran full flow in the IND 32 (265) in my WDX. All the bosses were tapped and by plugging and plumbing you can select either option.

Frank

Comment

This may help.
            Last edited by Frank Irons; 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X