making holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making holes

I was sitting here thinking about something. how dependent we are on the little electrons coming thru the wires. the county that my father grew up in did not get electric until 1948, and I know that we had relatives in the late sixtys that still did not have electric. I know that pop always seemed to have some way of doing things with out power. I'm sure that came from growing up in the depression. he managed to pass on a lot of his little tricks to me and in turn I hope to pass them on to my sons. my son and I were working on his hotrod the other day, when the power took a dive, (broad daylight no less), at the time, he was drilling a hole on the drill press and we were pressed for time a little. he got this funny distraught look on his face and looked at me with a what next look. I went over and unchucked the bit and work peice and proceeded to the post drill. about 5 min. later dad is drilling the hole again. the hole finished, I gave him the other peice and he proceeded to drill the other hole. I hope that he has learned something. there is a way around most problems if we just slow waaaay down and look at it at a different angle. my post drill was made very early this century, the chuck was patented in 1898 and still works the way it is supposed to. it will drill a hole and you can't tell the up side from the down side, (NO burs). our trucks are primitive at best, but having said that, they are also the best engineered most well thought out out vechicles ever made. what other company gave you a book to let you work on your own truck? it says a great deal about the men who designed our past. I for one, think for the most part they did a hellava job. just a thought or two. PWdave.
Working...
X