Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likely leaking AN fittings at filter housing

Regarding my 2001 24V Cummins.

I have the two, larger diameter line kits I got from the nice folks at Vulcan. I have a leak, it is late, and they are closed.

The big line kit's AN fittings have a first part that screws into the filter housing. There is a steel washer and an O-ring, but it is not clear to me that it is sealing. This setup is quite different from the OEM washers with the rubber at the ID, made to mate with the banjo fittings and bolts.

I don't think I assembled this wrong, but it also does not seem to be sealing and I can't see any other leak.

Thoughts on this? The blizzard is coming and I would like to get this resolved tonight. :-)

Thank you....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Gordon,
    Can't help you with there fitting,like you I understand the washer/O-ring Siamese together .
    Very common in British standard pipe fittings.
    But I just wanted to pass on that the fuel filter drain valve O-rings are a very common leak area.
    When they leak they will leak out the drain hose as if the valve were open.
    Another problem area, is on the top of the filter top lid,were the fuel heater wire exit the cover.
    Another O-ring leak.
    Both of these leaks were not nearly much of a problem until the ULSD fuels came about.
    Thought I would pass that along in case you were unaware of it.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
      Gordon,
      Can't help you with there fitting,like you I understand the washer/O-ring Siamese together .
      Very common in British standard pipe fittings.
      But I just wanted to pass on that the fuel filter drain valve O-rings are a very common leak area.
      When they leak they will leak out the drain hose as if the valve were open.
      Another problem area, is on the top of the filter top lid,were the fuel heater wire exit the cover.
      Another O-ring leak.
      Both of these leaks were not nearly much of a problem until the ULSD fuels came about.
      Thought I would pass that along in case you were unaware of it.
      TGP
      I was thinking about the drain valve, but did not know it was able to be serviced in that way. I don't think my lid has wires. I believe that exits the side. I need to look at that more.

It makes sense to replace the o-rings in these places. Thank you!

Today it seems to not be leaking, happily. I have new snow to examine for leaks.....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Well that good news about the leak.
        In reality it wouldn't surprise me if you were seeing fuel dripping from your previous repairs.
        I'm sure you had fuel dripping everywhere.

Could be wrong but I thought the 01 used the same filter housing as my 99.
        Mine has the fuel heater wires on the top lid,and the water in fuel sensor wire exiting the side near the bottom of the can next to the drain valve.

I mentioned O-rings on the wire when actually there more of a hard rubber grommet. Pretty sure those rubbers are no longer available. I believe some guy's have come up with a fix,but not sure what they have done. So far I have not had to deal with that problem.

I have dealt with the fuel drain leak and bought the O-rings to repair it.
        Also same on my Company work truck which is a 01 Ford F 55O 7.3 power stroke.
        Same Stanadyne valve. Have fixed it Too!
        This link has Great Instructions.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/fdrain.php

Like I said same valve however some mount with 4 screws, some with 2 screws.

TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"