No announcement yet.

Alex's '42 WC53 Carryall Build Details - Cummins ISB170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shackles needed new bushings. One of them was so worn that I had to drill the hole a little bit offset just because the groove it had worn was something terrible. I had noticed the wear ahead of time and ordered bushings larger than the factory stuff just to repair this issue. Looks a little funky but the 3/32" difference in shackle length shouldn't really pose a huge issue, and there is plenty of meat left in the hardware for the loads it will see
    . 0324181855.jpg0324181807b.jpg
    0324181807a.jpg
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Also, the WC factory lower saddles were for a tube diameter that was a 1/8" radius larger... easy fix. I have the section of tube left over from when I cut down my front housing. Set it up on the press with a spacer and went to town on making my shims.
      0324181931.jpg
      0324181932a.jpg
      0324181936a.jpg
      0324181937.jpg

Comment

• Got the rear axle taken out for powder coating, along with some other misc parts.

Picked up my fuel tank skid plate from a local friend of my wife and I who does awesome free hand pin-striping, lettering, signs, etc. His name is Igor in case you've ever seen his work; he's a magician with a paint brush. This Kilroy is totally free hand on the underside of the skid plate so that when you knuckle heads roll under to scoff at my work, there is something to distract ya! Ha ha!

0331180719.jpg

IMG_20180331_113104_442.jpg

IMG_20180331_113104_447.jpg

Comment

• Looks great! Nice touch on the skid plate too

Comment

• Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
            Looks great! Nice touch on the skid plate too
            Thanks!

I'm reaching the point of overwhelming frustration after today... Just so many things going on and no real help working on this thing. I don't know if I've alienated friends or just am at a weird point with the project that nobody feels inclined to jump in and help. I had the option of help yesterday morning from a kid that used to hang around the shop but I had to run an errand and that burnt up his available time. Working in the garage alone is fine usually, but now I've reached the point where I could use an extra set of hands to get this thing done. There is an Off-road expo show at a local Dodge/Jeep Dealership that I am trying to get the truck to in a month and a week. I don't think its going to make it.

Comment

• Alx, Too bad I'm not closer to Chesapeake, Va as I'd give you a hand at anything I could.
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• All this progress making them feel guilty they're not working on their own projects? I know the number of things I'd like to do and the number of things I have time to do are dramatically different! The fact we're finally getting nice weather doesn't help. I know if it was any other month I'd be more than happy to offer up a few hours of my weekends, but they're all spoken for till the end of the month and then some!
                As always beautiful work and I love the little touches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post

Thanks!

I'm reaching the point of overwhelming frustration after today... Just so many things going on and no real help working on this thing. I don't know if I've alienated friends or just am at a weird point with the project that nobody feels inclined to jump in and help. I had the option of help yesterday morning from a kid that used to hang around the shop but I had to run an errand and that burnt up his available time. Working in the garage alone is fine usually, but now I've reached the point where I could use an extra set of hands to get this thing done. There is an Off-road expo show at a local Dodge/Jeep Dealership that I am trying to get the truck to in a month and a week. I don't think its going to make it.
                  i hear you, I usually have a list of things I need a hand with when ever some one stops by. Need to be careful though if they are put to work every time they will quit coming around!

What I found helps with the frustration and feeling of the never ending project is reading your build thread again. Which lets you know how far you have really come, in your case that’s further then most

Comment

• Thanks for the good words guys. The frustration passes over time but still there is a lot to do. I'm knocking out all the little things bit by bit and its going to one day all add up to a truck that I can finally drive! Its taking more time to build things to where they can be easily worked on too, and I am always into making a backup plan too, so the re-work isn't terrible, just valuable time consuming.

I've come to terms with myself that if the truck is just a rolling mess for the off-road show, thats still okay because its a work in progress and might actually be more interesting for people to see it incomplete so that maybe when its done, they will know more about what the skeleton under the completed truck is actually all about.

I've also gotten really good at cross referencing part numbers so that I can work around the cliche parts counter mess.. "year, make, Model, engine?" Otherwise they can't help you. However, yesterday was the worst yet. While I had the radiator stuff apart, I noticed the thermostat was a little crusty and the seal was dry so figured just for the sake of things I would buy a replacement and install it, mainly because the thought crossed my mind and so many times I've done that to myself of "it'll be fine" and then its not. So I knew that the t-stat is the same one thats in my Mega Cab 24V truck, but 180 instead of 190. So I called the dealership, and they "can't help you unless you give me the last 8 of the VIN". I told the girl, I didn't have it because the engine wasn't out of a truck I ever owned. So she then says, "well, I can't look up parts without that information" and she hangs up.... seriously.

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                      Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Alex, do not get frustrated... Those of us in the Power Wagon world are fantastic at handing out advice and equally poor at taking it at times. In regards to being frustrated. Keep up the good work and keep smiling.

• Alx, I've had and continue to have the same issues with parts and crossreferencing, but learned a while back that unless you have the MoPar part number, stay away from the dealer parts departments. They are trained to work one way and one way only, and the staff turn over is so fast, sometimes they never even get completly trained. there are now some decent on-line MoPar parts search tools on-line that I use when looking for and buying Genuine MoPar items.
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Well, its almost back on its own weight. Hoping to split the body from the frame this weekend so I can get the firewall finish installed and same for the floors.

0421182010.jpg0422181806b.jpg
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Firewall work.

Attached Files

Comment

• Won my first Trophy...

And you know things are getting serious when I have the wife out in the garage installing the rear disc brakes (because they are the same setup as her custom Jeep TJ)

0511181950c.jpg

0512180833a.jpg

0512181009.jpg

0512181253_HDR.jpg
                          Attached Files

Comment

• 0521182056a.jpg

Filler neck and cap, all Stainless. About a fingers width out from body. Need to weld on the retainer strap to hold it under the body.

0510182255a.jpg

How my battery tray stuff looks after powder coating; this is the color I am painting the truck. Not quite as dark of a grey as I had hoped but it will still look good.

0506182002.jpg

rear axle third installed

Comment

• Test test, anybody out there? It gets boring talking to an empty room.

Front axle is mostly done. Detroit Locker with 14 bolt custom cut inner shafts.

IMG_20180616_102233_219.jpg

0603181156.jpg

0603181708.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X