• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolysis

Anybody ever tried it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCreUyBtERg

Looks like a great idea.

I have gotten very good reports on it. I have not tried it myself, but have seen it demonstrated.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Exhaust manifolds...!!!!

I don't care if it takes a week and 3 boxes of Borax it has to be easier than a wire wheel. LOL

DrPepper

Comment

I've got some free time tomorrow. I think I'll try to build a setup for it.

Will report what happens here.

Comment

I tried electrolysis on my windshield frame and the overall result was very good. The frame came out very clean.

The only drawback I can think of is that the process took much longer than I had been led to believe it would. It took two full days in the tank using a charge from a small charger.

Comment

The reservoir can be just a big, plastic garbage can or barrel. The one I saw demonstrated recently was just that. It was being used on parts from railroad cars and machine tools.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Lied

I didn't get around to it today. Class got cancelled for tomorrow so I'll give it a shot.

My dad just got an M38A1 Jeep (I think the MV sickness is contagious). The gas tank is rough. I'll try to pull some electrolysis on it and see what happens.

Comment

I tried it on a innerfender for a 59 w200 used a garbage can it worked ok takes a few days on big stuff. You are still left with some black crud/dust that brushes off. The main thing is the anode (part that is receiving the metal should be as large and clean as possible and connections to electrical connections clean. It does work and I would use it again most likly for smaller parts. It was about this time last year when I did it so may not remember everything. Past year has been busy so not much time for old vehicles so the inner fender was only part I did.

Comment

Electrolysis, Part 1

Ok folks, I did it.

Here's my first attempt. It's still sitting down there bubbling, so I'll have to video part two when it gets closer to being finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1OVX3QTCtM

Comment

So what happened? The first video was pretty cool but I'm waiting to see how your experiment turned out. My molasses bath is working pretty good but it takes too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto92 View Post
                      So what happened? The first video was pretty cool but I'm waiting to see how your experiment turned out. My molasses bath is working pretty good but it takes too long.
                      Well, I didn't get to a second video. I was doing it partially to experiment with electrolysis and partly to restore the gas tank for my dad. He bought a new tank instead.

So, that's that.

The results were a little disappointing. I should have left it in much longer because there were some results with the short amount of time I tried it for (less than 10 hours). Rust was starting to come off off in small patches and you could tell it was loosening the rust well enough. It made a foamy head on the solution.

I think it would have worked, but there's no need to finish it off now.

Comment

I'm a believer now...!!!!

I tried to use Navel Jelly, what a mess, really not impressed.
                        Electrolysis:
                        2 exhaust manifolds from 1987 still rusty, 2 old disk brake rotors for iron, a big plastic bin, washing soda, some coat hanger wire, my big battery charger, and about 5 - 6 hours run time. When done I washed them in the utility sink, did a final cleaning and removed some burrs. Painted with VHT Cast Coat Iron. Never used a wire wheel once.

Will post pix...eventually

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
                          I tried to use Navel Jelly, what a mess, really not impressed.
                          Electrolysis:
                          2 exhaust manifolds from 1987 still rusty, 2 old disk brake rotors for iron, a big plastic bin, washing soda, some coat hanger wire, my big battery charger, and about 5 - 6 hours run time. When done I washed them in the utility sink, did a final cleaning and removed some burrs. Painted with VHT Cast Coat Iron. Never used a wire wheel once.

Will post pix...eventually
                          Glad it worked for you. I ended up using Muriatic acid and a pressure washer, among other things, to clean up the tank. Came out really nicely.

Comment

Hi guys, I'm new here.. I was reading this post yesterday on rust removal, or "electrolysis" I found an easier way and it involves no electricity.... But its a bit slower. use a size of container (plastic) not metal.. to fit the parts you want to clean All the rust from , including body parts , rubber or brass or whatever else is attached is ok this proses doesn't hurt it.. mix in the (plastic) container in the amount of 9 to 1 - molasses 1 part- and 9 parts water, the amount is not real critical and just put your parts in so their covered and walk away.. it will take about a week or two , when you take out your part, power wash it off to remove the molasses coating . but all the rust is gone I've used this on everything that is rusty. nuts, bolts, washers body parts and fittings even if they have some paint on them... it usually doesn't remove the paint -- just rust. molasses - you may have to order larger amounts from a farm supply store but for smaller amounts you can get a the baking section of your favorite grocery store. in my view its pretty amazing, the first time I did it I put in some really RUSTY stuff and it came out clean bare metal .....spread the word around cause it really works!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X