First time installing an engine...?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time installing an engine...?!?

So, I'm a go getter that often finds myself getting into more than I expect... I have an 1988 D100, it needed a motor, along with a few miscellaneous parts and pieces. Finally I obtaining a motor trans combo that I knew nothing about, and couldn't afford to test, check, replace gaskets and all that other good stuff. I set off on my mission of proving that despite being a 28yr old woman, with very limited knowledge of automobiles, I could install this motor... After a very bumpy road of, "What am I doing wrong?" "Why won't this fit? And a couple "I'm about to junk this piece of ****!". I've finally got it in there and I'm begining to hook stuff back up, but the motor I'm putting in is a lot older than my truck. As I'm going along I can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something, or like I'm doing something majorly wrong. If y'all could kinda give me somewhat of a check list, or a few helpful tricks and tips I would appreciate it more than you'll ever know!

Give us some more details, what engine did you take out and what engine are you replacing it with?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

It's been around a year since we pulled the other motor... I have no clue what it was other than it was a 318 auto... The motor I just put in it is a 318-3. Cast numbers 4006730 also automatic. I know this one came out of a car because I head to swap oil pans. Honestly don't know much more than that about it. I did decide to use my transmission instead of the one that came with this new motor because I know my trans is good and didn't want to chance the new one being bad... Good thing I decided that because the torque converter was busted on the new one...

Comment

I pulled the other one out myself but it's been so long ago that I can't remember every step I took to get it out... And it seems like there are a lot of extra hoses this go round...

Comment

You may run into where the throttle and kick down linkage connects is different, also different emission issues depending on intake manifold and which carburetor you are using.
          All in all it should go relatively well for you. Keep us posted. and look into upgrading your forum usage to see everything thats being offered and also see and share pictures of everyone's builds.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Okay thanks, I appreciate ya... If I posted pictures do you think that might help?

Comment

Working...
            X