Novices as experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novices as experts

In a work setting I am reminded of how novices to a task are really experts. Meaning, a novice is an expert regarding what it is like to be new to a task. Old veterans forget how much they know, and they forget what it is like to be new to the work. That can make it difficult for the newcomer, when it is difficult enough to be new to the work.

Jason Mills, in this next issue of Power Wagon Advertiser, writes an article on transfer case repair. It covers the 2-speed transfer case found in the WDX-WM300 Power Wagon and the M-series trucks. This case is also used in the WWII 1-1/2 ton 6X6.

His article is not just technical. It also covers the human side, and is illuminating with regard to our experience in approaching the unknown. I would like to see more articles like this.

Old timers, it is good when you can understand the experience of someone new to the work.

The attached photo is one of Jason's images. There are more in the article.

I encouraged Jason to take some photos of the transfer case parts, in an attempt to show relationships between parts. He did a marvelous job. Photos such as those he submitted are very helpful in understanding the design and operation of mechanical assemblies such as the transfer case.
    Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?
Working...
X