Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming a newly rebuilt fuel pump

Hello Guys,

I just had the fuel/vacuum pump rebuilt, drained the tank, new fuel lines on a stock M37. Is there a trick to priming the pump? I only have @ five gals. of fuel in the tank and working the primer rod doesn't seem to be doing anything. I haven't tried turning the motor over as the batteries are charging up. Then and Now did the rebuild, so feel good it's done right.

Thanks for any help,
    Ron

I have a mechanical fuel pump on my PW and was informed by Matthew W to pressure up the fuel tank. Using compressed air and an air gun through the fuel neck of the gas tank. Hold your hand over the neck and around the gun to prevent air flow out while you are blowing air into the tank. I was quite surprised how well it worked and the amount of air pressure one could hold on the tank. I had gas at the pump before I knew it.

This will also verify if you have a hole in the suction pipe above your gas level.

Hope this helps.
    Todd

Comment

If you don't have an air compressor you can use a piece of plastic pipe like a giant straw as well. Cup your hand around it and push air in. I have done this many times in the field to force fuel up.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Very good, going out to try that right now. Thanks Guys!

EDIT...Worked great, but you were right now I have a leak at one of the fittings. I can handle that, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X