The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dirtfab View Post
    Alex, what year is your 4BT to have an ECM? My 96 12 valve had a fuel heater just above the fuel filter. They go bad and suck in air when the wires going into the heater fail. I just pulled mine out and threw it away. Engine runs better and never got air in the system again after I removed it. I think the only electric component on the engine is the fuel shut off.

Tank looks good BTW. You will find outside corners easier with AL vs. inside corners- or at least that was my experience. I find with reverse polarity it is hard to sometimes get the heat where you want it on the inside corners. I'm still a novice with TIG welding AL as well.
    IF that aint the truth on the TIG welding corners. Inside the arc wander was obnoxious and I don't have a short tail for my TIG torch so the darn collet cap was keeping me from getting where I needed. The baffles have a bunch of short welds on them to the sides and bottom. Thats all it really needs as they are not structural.

Got the shape of it together tonight. I'll weld that last face on after the sender is drilled and installed and the return manifold is drilled and installed.

In regards to my engine, its not technically a 4BT... Yes, its a 3.9, however its a full on Common Rail. Its like comparing the 12V 6BT to the 24V Common Rail. Same exact family traits except mine in regards to the 24V, has the two center cylinders knocked out of it thus making it a 16V 4 cyl. Its got the CP3 Bosch 22,000 psi injection system and the gear train is on the back of the motor rather than the front. Its an ISBe170 engine. Built in 2001 in Great Britain. Its stock rated at 170 HP and 420 ft-lb. An Allison 1000 5 speed OD Auto with an SAE3 bell is what lives behind it.

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
    Alex, I forgot to mention: I don't use grease on the drawing blocks, a little bar soap, whatever you use in the bath is great. Grease seems to get wiped off at the throat of the block but the soap goes through.
    Thanks for the additional tip! I'll certainly throw some Irish springs on it and give it a good pull. I could machine some Aluminum guides but I fear one getting a burr and gouging my $40 roll of line.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• The rains are coming

The rain comes when I am tossing paint.
      The wind blows when I try and weld.
      Want to bet that the sand will fall down out of some nook onto the fresh top coat…..
      Here is the new bead on the roof.
      And this is a brace I made for down at the bottom of the door to stiffen things up. Lots of woodies had bits like this.

260000 hits

edit: oh.oh Alex your shop is on the first step to looking like mine. One of those mine fields that hoarders seem to create.
      That is a sign of an organized mind!
      Attached Files

Comment

• The name of the tubing is Cunifer.
        http://www.cunifer.com/
        Easier to bend than steel also.

Comment

• It's funny how you can do all this careful preporation and have something so simple screw it all up. I need to throw some more paint at mine but our hot humid summers just add additional challenge to something I'm already challenged enough at.

How did you do your bead? Always curious on the options. VPW lists a replacement but I've never seen it so I just tried my own thing. Mine isn't quite as original looking as I probably could have made it but I kind of wanted to keep the character line and the rigidity it provided, plus even as it is it's one of the more ambitious metal projects I've attempted on my truck.

Comment

• Stop what you're doing, just buy this one....

Carry on BAT.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/16/...l-turbodiesel/

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              The rain comes when I am tossing paint.
              The wind blows when I try and weld.
              Want to bet that the sand will fall down out of some nook onto the fresh top coat…..
              Here is the new bead on the roof.
              And this is a brace I made for down at the bottom of the door to stiffen things up. Lots of woodies had bits like this.

260000 hits

edit: oh.oh Alex your shop is on the first step to looking like mine. One of those mine fields that hoarders seem to create.
              That is a sign of an organized mind!
              Many years ago I worked at a shop with a nice negative pressure paint booth. I scheduled a weekend to spray a project of mine and got the okay to use the booth. I set the car up Friday night and tacked it. My brother and I returned early Saturday to lay down the first coat and after one pass of sealer the stuff was bubbling on the surface. We had retacked the car before he started but didn't notice anything out of place. On further inspection we found almost microsopic droplets of fine oil on the surface. I suspected foul play. The booth had a video system as a safety device to monitor the painters in case their air supply should fail or any other incident should happen in that windowless box. I checked the tape and found the painter lead-man had sprayed penetrating oil in the air over my car. I guess he was bent out of shape that I brought my own painter in to do the job and cut him out of his weekend money. The following Friday I had a new paint dept Lead.
              You just never know what people are going to do.

Comment

• Bat

Originally posted by Bob Thompson View Post
                Wow, that one is nice! I even like the wheels..

Comment

• and here it is in person

But this is not a 1942 carryall it has been identified as a supper rare 1924 Carryall …..by this expert.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTyJp9L4F8

got called out for a search, no updates for a few days.

Bruce

Comment

• $35k and its "Noise limited to 55 mph"... Wow. I am not a fan of the Desert Tan on it either. I dislike the HMMWV personally so the color kinda detracts from it in my book.

Anyways....

Fuel return manifold. The fuel system on this thing requires 3 different return lines because I can't source the factory fuel pressure regulator... so...

I had to build this BS contraption to handle the 3 different pressures of fuel coming back to the tank.

Started with 3" round stock.

Some screwing around yielded this...

One -08 and two -06 returns at JIC 37 degree.

Comment

• Aluminum submergence tubes connecting to bottom of manifold with 45 degree flare connections.

But I managed to break my new flare tool on the third flare... I am rather upset. I wasn't forceful and did it exactly as directed. I am contacting the seller I bought it from to see if replacement parts are available.

And end result.

Should reduce air entrainment of the fuel which will prevent foaming which often creates weeping out of the vent yielding in fuel smell that won't go away, and will also help with performance of the engine and increase the life of the injectors.

Comment

• Airplane test sump fitting stuff for my fuel tank. Because... water in fuel sucks.

Comment

• My fuel temp sensor stuff.

Yep same sensor as my water temp sensor...

Waiting on my M14-1.5 to 1/2 NPT fitting to show up so I can put the sensor in. I am also going to use a double AN swivel to attach this elbo to the bottom of the ECM outlet.

Ohh and also vent / rollover / inertia/ pressure lock kick back vent. Far corner of tank from filler neck.

Comment

• Sorry for the 3 post blast but limited to 3 pictures per post.

Filler neck is almost done too.

Comment

• 42 Carryall

Hello all, I'm new to the Carryall world. I picked this up late last year and have been slowly developing my plans for the build. I've been reading the thread from the beginning, and have gotten tons of information from all the pics and posts. I have acquired a reasonably priced 4bt this week, so I'm diving in. I have already put 2003 F250 undercarriage under it, and am about to begin work on 4bt swap. But I wanted to thank everyone for their sharing of info.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome aboard

I am back from a search but can not get at my truck because it is rainy and my truck is under plastic for the next 3 days. Keep those pictures coming.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X