The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the bumper squared away

It may get tweaked a bit more but basically it is done , except for the outriggers , sandblasting and paint . Darn that sounds like about 6 hrs of work right there . Wish we had a local sandblaster . Neat idea on the splash aprons Rob . I think I have mine . Enclose is the latest development , I set the roller fairhead into the bumper . It is not flush mount but it does not stick out either .
    The license plate may cover up the fairhead and hide it . The top part of the bumper is a little busy but I am not going to change it . At least not today .
    edit : next the axle gets moved forward 1.5 inches , which will help with a steering issue , I hope , and fit the tire in the fender just a tad better .
    edit : If the photo of the bumper looks odd that is because you are looking at a reflection the top of the bumper has been sanded and it is a bit more mirror like than i would have thought .

Take care
    Too quiet around here

Bruce

Yes I have been working on the truck , mostly stuff that does not show .
    Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work Bruce,

It's inspiring watching you log your progress here on this forum,
      it will be very usefull when I start my Carryall makeover.

Comment

• 67 lbs of steel and what do you get

Another day of work and a pain in the back .
        This is going to get a bunch of saw work and then get close and personal with the lathe , the milling machine , grinder , files and the drill press . I am making a dropped steering arm . I was going to toss a chunk of 2 inch in the forge and bend it in a hydraulic press but I started to worry about part failure .
        I figure 10 hours to get it done . A cad milling machine would be nice .

take care out there.
        Bruce
        Attached Files

Comment

• Man some of this stuff is hard to jig up

It is hard to see that I have accomplished much from what you can see in this photo . There is over 8 hours on the mill and band saw . I have several compound cuts that I am not sure how to finish . Not only do I need to tilt the block up but I need to rotate it sideways and find a way to accurately position the block in the horizontal saw . You can see one jig here . Unfortunately the cut is only half done. I need to rotate it somehow to then finish the cut . These cuts do not go all the way through . i may have to resort to a zip blade and hacksaw . It is possible to see the cuts that are outlined with cutting oil . The lower cut is 10 degrees offset in relation to the top surface . It will look simple when done but right now i can not afford to make a mistake . A cut that is just a tad to far will ruin the whole arm .
          Attached Files

Comment

• a bit more progress

Got the arm roughed in today . My plan was to go put a full day in playing on the lathe but I was called out to hike some food in to a sick kid in a mountain cabin . No big deal but it ate up my entire day .
            I changed the offset angle to 11 degrees and dropped the arm too . Lots of compound angles . Shear looks to be over 110,000 lbs when done . I resorted to a hacksaw more than once. I have been told shot peening and cryogenics is not necessary because the arm will be strong enough without going to the extra expense .
            Attached Files

Comment

• Are you a shop teacher or an English teacher Bruce?
              Either way I liked the words you used to describe that piece of modern art you are holding in your hand, I'm sure it will look even better when you get it done.

If I lived a little closer I could possibly be of some assistance to you but alas...

Comment

• Cher thunk

This is the center bore on the bottom of the steering arm . The set up looks simple does it not ? Take a close look and you will see an adapter plate that took 40 minutes to drill and tap . It took 2 hours to remove the drop bed from the lathe . Two of the socket head bolts did not have an allen key that would fit and no one in town had anything either . I adjusted a key to fit and then wrestled the drop bed free . There must have been 20 years of shavings and gunk holding it in place . Generally I can dial in a four jaw chuck in to less than one thousand of an inch in about four to ten minutes. For some reason had a real fight to get the arm dialed in . Add another 40 minutes . Of course the tooling was missing for this lathe and I needed to find some and repair some damaged parts , add another hour .
                The bore and depth need to be within 5 - 10 thousand . The arm sticks out enough to make it necessary to run the lathe at a very slow speed . In an effort to not mess up I keep checking the measurements twice . I made one error while distracted and turned the lathe on and ran the steering arm into the bed . I had checked it seconds before but made an adjustment and forgot to recheck my set up . Lots of time spent and little to show .

take care
                Good evening Jake how is the tractor biz?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Hey Bruce,
                  The stuff one does for the realization of a dream!
                  It sounds a little frustrating but experience is never wasted time, don't ask me why I have decided to think that.
                  We are still in the preliminary stages of setting up for the Kioti Tractor dealership and will know if it's a go ahead in another month or so. In the mean time we have finished renovating the front of the shop to include a small show room and a board room.
                  Lots of work and money but it looks amasing!

Comment

• I just finished all the milling on the arm

and I just lost my picture posting privileges . Darn I was hoping i could get one last set of photos in . Got the articles for gordon all finished too but they are on a computer that is on a mission away from home .
                    I have a few hours of grinding on the arm too do. I need to blend in some of the different angles . This will be followed by tapering the arm for the tie rod end and I need to chamfer the mounting holes to 60 degrees .
                    I sure wish someone else would post some carryall pictures . I need incentive . Mind you I did put in 8 hours of work into the arm in the last few days . hopefully i do not get blindsided by something .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce,
                      Where were your pictures posted?
                      Did you lose them, or just lose the ability to post any more?
                      If you want to zip them to me I can upload them to a Album for you at the DTA Albums.

Comment

• I am in jail , I did not pay or send out an article

in a timely manner . Speaking of which i tried to send yah some stuff but have no idea how to do so . I do not have your email address and I tried an address under the sweptline photo section but the message could not be delivered .
                        Off tah bed . I seem to be running a temperature . I feel spleasantly warm .....but the shakes are not cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                          in a timely manner . Speaking of which i tried to send yah some stuff but have no idea how to do so . I do not have your email address and I tried an address under the sweptline photo section but the message could not be delivered .
                          Off tah bed . I seem to be running a temperature . I feel spleasantly warm .....but the shakes are not cool.
                          moparnorm@hotmail.com
                          I thought you could email from our names in the title block here???

Comment

• I made the same mistake Bruce,
                            I have since corrected the error of my ways and subscribed online using a visa card.
                            I am also wondering if the special forum privalages are included in a paid subscription or is there a seperate charge for those?

Comment

• Hey Norm,
                              Can I send some pics your way for the DTA as well? I see you have quete a large selection including a few pics of my recently departed 65 W200.

Comment

• I'm on the road and won't be able to upload them until Saturday, but Yes!
                                It's an open invitation to everyone here!
                                I can start or add to an existing album and Gordon might even be talked into providing a Link to the DTA Albums?

Comment

Working...
                                X