Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello...

Hello Bruce...
    Are you there Bruce? I hope everything is ok, it's a little unusual not to get an update from you on the carryall progress so that's why I am sending out the search and rescue team.
    Thanks for the invite Norm, next time I am going thruogh my 50,000 pictures I'll send a few more to your web site.

Comment

• Hey jake thanks for the query

I got a nasty flu at the start of my week long holiday and the flu went away at the end of my holiday . But I have made some progress on the truck despite being out of commision for a week . The steering arm is more or less done . I need to machine some 60 degree champhers on 4 holes and do some minor tweaking before it is actually finished. I have moved the steering box forward and the axle too . The axle actually fits better in it's new location and the tire fills the fender well . The steering box relocation should help ensure that the tie rod will clear the oil pan when the axle is stuffed up towards the frame while turning . I cut the new tie rod from some DOM tubing and tapped both ends this morning . It was at this point that I realized that I do not have any jam nuts and I will need to machine some up , I decide to call it a day and do some gardening instead .
      I ordered some ARP studs for the front axle , 220,000 high strength bolts . I found another pitman arm on epay and it is being shipped today .
      I took a day off and went to Vancouver and bought some cold rolled 16 guage . I wish I had bought some 12 guage instead - I am starting to consider building a tailgate . So progress stumbles forward on the carryall .
      And i just got a call about working during the summer . Considering the economy I am pleased that I get called for exploration work . This is the second time today that someone has asked me to work for them . Kind of makes me feel happy with myself and puts a good tone on the day .
      Your box looks great . I think you have a article in the works .
      Take care
      Bruce
      In wet , slushy , B.C.

Comment

• Finally got a chance to do some five straight day work on the ol gal, Got the new wiring harness in, glove box, gauges etc. Was pleased the bare metal on the body was great with only a few rust out places down toward the running board. Worked on getting the tailgate pieces all working and the tailgate on as well as passenger door, had a fit getting the hinges pins out on both, so thank goodness for a good drill press. Anyway hope to have some quality time later this month. Just staying in touch. All you guys really have been doing great work and good inspirational. Cheers..Eric
        Attached Files

Comment

• Look it that ! A carryall with a tailgate !

I think over half the Carryalls that I have seen for sale are missing the tailgate . There must be a graveyard out there somewhere just chalk full of Carryall tailgates . Your truck looks good , except for that little ding in the drivers fender . The weird thing is that dent matches the ding in mine . Keep us posted and those photos coming in . I seem to get a little more energy to work on my Carryall each time there is a new post with some photos showing someone elses rig . That tailgate looks very fixable .

Thanks for sharing
          Bruce

Comment

• Thanks, Bruce. You really are doing a great job on yours. The tailgate really is a nice one and very solid except for those few places on the left bottom. The part I liked was the USA and numbers are still there so you can see where the proper placement was. First time I saw the periods after each letter on the USA. Cheers..Eric

Comment

• One question, guys. When I get through I want the numbers, markings etc, the same as the WW2 ones were. I have looked at many restorations and have found too many different placements. Does anyone have any WW2 pics that show exactly where stars were etc? Any help on this would be much appreciated..Cheers...Eric

Comment

• Progress report

I made some adjustments to the dashboard . I moved the steering mount 1 inch towards the door and while I was at it I filled in the gauge area . I will cut new holes for the speedometer , tach and other guages . Hopefully I can find a 3 and 3/8 hole saw. Once this is squared away I can go back to fiddling with the brake and clutch pedal.
                The passenger rear quarter is now patched and I even got the reverse bend in the thing.
                I built a buck and hammered out some pockets for the front shocks . The pockets will get welded into the front splash aprons .
                ARP high steer bolts just arrived in the mail .

And I looked for some pictures of markings for the carryall and came up with nothing from the past that was clear enough to make out any detail.

take care
                Bruce

Comment

• Sleep on it...

Hey Bruce,
                  Have you ever considered creating a Cartoon for the PWA? With your drawing skills and cartooning ability you could probably put together a whole series and keep us all entertained with every months new episode.
                  It's just a thought so sleep on it and sent it to Gordon ASAP.

Comment

• BTW Bruce

Have you found a tailgate for the "Rescue Rig" yet? If it helps I can lend you mine as a pattern.

Comment

• Hey there Jake

Tailgates ? " We don't got no steenking tailgates " At least not yet . I am not sure if the 1/2 ton tail gates are the same as the later 3/4 ton gates . I have wondered if there is a difference or not but have never really received a solid answer . I will consider your offer - I am working my way towards the back of the truck .
                      As to cartooning , man you are hitting close to home . In my younger years I had offers from DC and Marvel but was afraid of moving to New York . I quit working twice in an effort to develop a strip . In the mid 80's the Washington .... had a draft of my strip for over 9 months . I received one of the rudest letters ever from them . Hand written yet . I found out later that the strip had been the subject of more than one meeting and the concerm was that I would be competition for one of their lead strips . They were also wondering what would happen if I got picked up by the competition . Unfortunately I got hungry and went back to teaching.
                      So that is a pretty good idea . I will have to mull it over . It does sound kind of fun .

Take care

Bruce

Comment

• Dash repair

The dash has been filled where the guages used to reside . I am working on some patterns for the new guage placement . Hopefully I can come up with a design that looks like it fits with the design and period of the truck . I am adding a tach which matches the speedometer in diameter and there was no way to place it in the original panel .
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I am going to reskin a glovebox door

Trust me the original skin is warped and oil canned . I went with a heavier guage which I will spot weld to the inner structure . That is if there is someplace on the coast that has a spot welder . Either that or i am going to fire up the wire feed one more time . The advantage of increasing the guage is the finger pull will resist warping . An alternative would be a aluminum skin and glue it in place with panel adhesive .
                          Attached Files

Comment

• steering arm is DONE !!!!!

weighs about 10 - 12 lbs . I could shave some more off but I am tired of working on the thing . most of the machinery i have access to is too small . I sure got creative making jigs so that I could cut parts off in the horizontal bandsaw . The steering link is straight and has no drops or kinks .
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Nice work...

Looking awesome Bruce, you are certainly not taking any shortcuts on this build.

Hows the cartoons coming along?

Comment

• new gauge layout

Managed to drill the gauge holes without mucking things up . I now get to decide if I am going to install a window winder from a civy dodge or just leave the window alone and open it by pushing on the frame . I have the 2 outside braces for the windshield but no other pieces that would be carryall correct . Not that being correct is a concern .
                                Jake I have not started on a cartoon , there is a lot of work going on and little spare time.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X