The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice layout...

I like what you've done for the gauge layout, you must be planning to put every gauge known to man in there. LOL

BTW

Get er done, so you can start on the cartoons already.

Comment

• not that many gauges when you think about it

Speedo and tach will fill in the 2 centers
      Voltmeter
      Watertemp
      Fuel for main tank
      Fuel gauge for auxilary tank
      That is in the main panel above the steering wheel

In the center panel
      pyrometer
      manifold pressure
      oil pressure

I would like to run a temp guage in each axle and the trans but I am going to pass on those for the time being

In my trash truck I check the fuel guage the most , this is followed by the occasional look at the oil pressure when I am on a slope and the odd glance every year or so at the volt meter . Speedo has not worked in 10 years .

Bruce

Comment

• Have you got the gauges yet Bruce? I think the dash layout will look awesome
        Have you seen how many hits you have on this thread? It has to be close to taking the record on the whole forum I would think.

Comment

• I have most of the gauges

I picked up four of them in Kelowna from a truck breaker after visiting you .
          I need a speedo and the fuel gauges and I am done. Fuel will be easy , finding a decent SW speedo will be a tad harder .
          This thread has a few hits but it does not get enough action from other carryall owners nor does it meet my original goal as a resource and focal point for other carryall owners . There have been 6 or 7 other Carryall threads started elsewhere that cover 1/2 tons , roofs , tubs and a few other odds and sods . Unfortunately these threads get buried due to lack of traffic and the information gets lost too . The same thing has happened with several carryall build sites hosted elsewhere . I had the links to those sites posted on this thread's first post and have deleted most of the links because the site was not maintained and no longer existed .
          I do a little dance ever time someone else posts a new picture to this thread,
          I think the best sites on the internut are Paul's , Mopar Norm's and this one .
          As to hits , your back road pictures thread is catching up . Brilliant idea .
          and if we look at a post to hit ratio your's is NUMBER ONE !!!!!

Best regards
          Bruce

Comment

• Lack of Carryall Progress

Hey guys, rick here in Beautiful Toronto Ontario, i would be actively posting to this forum, but im still putting together my first Dodge/Fargo-truck-project, my 1950 Fargo Power Wagon.

But i figured i'd share some more pictures of my 1942 Dodge DD116 (canadian civy carryall) just to spice this thread up a little bit.

Here are some Unusual things that i have found on my DD116

Strange Rear 'Rhino' Hooks mounted to the Bumperettes (also notice the frame extentions that the bumperettes mount too to lower the bumper about 6")

and the thicker 'seam' on the roof (this was alot thicker then the seam on my my 1952 Dodge FFPW and on my 1950 Fargo FFPW).

Once i get the Ole'Fargo put back together, then work on the Civy Carryall will start.

Thanks again guys for keeping this thread going, i check it every weekend.

Comment

• Step Board ?

Hey Rick, What an odd set up under the rear doors? ( I like it) I couldn't wait till the week-ends, wish I lived closer to the other Bruce, so some of that good stuff/talent could rub off on me!

Comment

• Hey RSBuc,
                Nice to hear from you, I am also doing a Fargo Power Wagon restoration. Keep posting the progress or lackofit pics.

Bruce (Chef Bruce) your workmanship looks just fine last time I checked, and I think Bruce in BC will concur with that.

Are those barn style doors back there Bruce?

Comment

• Jake check out post # 573

Are those doors cool or what ? Hacked , diced and sliced .
                  There is a great amount of good work by a variety of builders shown on this thread . I sure do not plan on finishing the body to the level some have .
                  No filler either . I am going to force myself to put it together unfinished and drive it for a few years before getting the body dipped .

Bruce

That red cab is lookin gooood .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                    I picked up four of them in Kelowna from a truck breaker after visiting you .
                    I need a speedo and the fuel gauges and I am done. Fuel will be easy , finding a decent SW speedo will be a tad harder .
                    This thread has a few hits but it does not get enough action from other carryall owners nor does it meet my original goal as a resource and focal point for other carryall owners . There have been 6 or 7 other Carryall threads started elsewhere that cover 1/2 tons , roofs , tubs and a few other odds and sods . Unfortunately these threads get buried due to lack of traffic and the information gets lost too . The same thing has happened with several carryall build sites hosted elsewhere . I had the links to those sites posted on this thread's first post and have deleted most of the links because the site was not maintained and no longer existed .
                    I do a little dance ever time someone else posts a new picture to this thread,
                    I think the best sites on the internut are Paul's , Mopar Norm's and this one .
                    As to hits , your back road pictures thread is catching up . Brilliant idea .
                    and if we look at a post to hit ratio your's is NUMBER ONE !!!!!

Best regards
                    Bruce
                    In regards to the threads you are reffering to Bruce, I know I found an old thread originated by Mel and when I bought the 42 Carryall from him, and thought it fitting to the history of the truck to carry on with his thread.
                    I said all that to say that maybe we should have a designated area just for Carryalls on he forum, it might make it more accessible for people looking for the reference material to have it compiled in one place?

Comment

• Works for me .

i wonder how mel is doing with his wc53 ? One of these days you need to drive down and shoot some pictures . A pretty decent truck from the shots he fired my way about 3 years ago.

Comment

• Working on the Carryall in Iowa

The thought of Bruce in BC doing a little dance when someone posts a Carryall story is too tempting so I have to post something tonight. It's been awhile since I posted anything. After these pictures were taken in September 2007 the truck sat in the garage for over a year without any work on it. In January I started working on it again and I'll get the pictures that I've been taking uploaded this week.
                        Bruce in BC....let the dance begin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Boy that thing looks better every time i see it .

Did you fill the roof on your truck? If so what did you use as a source for sheet metal ?
                          Hard to dance while typing .

Bruce

Comment

• Carryall Roof

When I got the truck in 1970 I went to a junk yard and cut the top out of an old station wagon to get a piece of metal large enough. I then pop riveted it in on the outside of the channel which protected it for 25 years while it was setting outside. During the restoration I removed the piece of metal, cut it down and pop riveted it inside the groove. I also welded the 200+ holes and put a skim coat of polyester over them before painting. It's still not finished. I now need to take it to an upholstery shop to put a vinyl top in the recessed area and use the rubber seal in the groove. That's on the list to get done soon. If I had it to do over again I would find a top from a Tahoe or large SUV and weld it in like the one in an earlier post. It looked nice, cheaper than what I did and he will never have to worry about tearing the vinyl or a leaking roof.
                            Another thing I would do to the inside on the roof is check all the welds on the braces and arches and reweld them just for grins and giggles. It "may" cut down on some of the rattles (IMHO).
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Thankyou Gary

That information will help me with my project . I may just weld up a few of those squeaky areas too . I think some silicone or foam tape should go under every piece of tin before it is screwed in place .
                              But perhaps the noise has a benefit ? Might scare the grizzlies away.

Comment

• Material Choice

Watch out for water/moisture retentive materials, could start things all over again?

Comment

Working...
                                X