The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a carryall

Decided to drag the truck home for the summer . I have to go off to work and the truck is basically getting parked for a few months . To get the truck in the garage I had to move some vehicles 9 times . None ran and they needed to be tucked away in spots that they should not fit . Lots of winching , rope , cable , jacking and pry bars.
    When the carryall was measured on the hoist it was 1/4 inch over 7 ft tall . Once the truck was rolled off the hoist and bounced a couple of times it was 2 inches over 7ft . yep the carryall will not fit in my garage without changing the tires .
    Attached Files

Comment

• That truck looks great Bruce, I have room at my place...

Comment

• Send It 2 Me

I'll take real good care of it! Looking good Bruce!

Comment

• Time to Post Something

It's been a busy summer so I haven't had time to work on the truck but thought I would at least post this picture of my truck taken in southern Iowa around 1949.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Great picture Gary

That car topper boat sure is bright and polished looking .
            I am back from prospecting but have no time for the Carryall . Lots of honey do work to get done.

take care

Bruce

Comment

• I'm new and have two new carryalls

My freind found two WC 53 carryalls, and talked the guy into selling them. My wife went along for the second visit and we took the camera. There both full of extra parts. After we got home she told me to go get them.

Comment

• Quite A Catch Indeed!

What a catch, your bride behaved a lot like mine did, "Go Get It", I liked that idea!

Comment

• Show us more please

I see a tailgate on one of them . Do both trucks have tailgates ? Show us some more pictures and before you start working on them take a pile of shots and send them off to PWA . We all love parts piles , share with us what you got .
                  The multi toned truck looks like it was painted by the same guy that painted mine . The black and yucky green are the same . I had yellow and red paint tossed in too . Oh yah and silver on the interior - the kind that rubs off every time you touch it .

Comment

• Tail gate

Hi Bruce, I have been reading all the threads for awhile. I have a bunch of pics, but this thread will only let me put three on at a time. My two boys know more about this computer than I do, so be patient. Anyway I have two great projects. I have followed this thread, and these carryalls are so cool. They have very thick steel to work with. It reminds of working on street rods years ago. They both have all there parts plus extra stuff. The one has been chopped, and put on a ambulance frame? The other is bone stock and still has all the wood and the two front seats. The chopped one I will have to re-chop just to fix it. The belt line is 2" short over the 4-5'. It a shame that somebody about 30-40 years ago cut up and welded back half of a carryall. The chopped one has two and three of other parts stuffed in the back. There must have been 3 carryalls in this persons garage, or he just acquired carryall stuff.

Comment

• Interesting Cut/Chop Line

If that's what I'm seeing between the windows, lining up w/ the wheel well? Again nice catch, a lot of project, one day at a time is the best approach!

BTW, What's your Twenty?

Comment

• Cut Weld Grind

Well the stock one I'm waiting a few weeks to start. The butchered one I don't think I can make it any worse. The frame has been shortend 20+ ". The windows both are shortend, and I'm missing 19 or 20" of body line. So here she goes.

Comment

• You would not happen to have 4 or 5 extra lower tailgates ?

Actually I have my eye open for some lower tailgate hinges . What are your plans for the short one ? Restore to stock length ? Every once in awhile a totally clapped out body shows up . One of those would be perfect - You would not feel guilty chopping it up . Then again maybe you could build a 4 door .
                          Swap the rear doors around , use a truck cab door opening sill and jam and then use what you have to create a new back window .
                          Sure would look cool .

Bruce in BC

That tailgate looks to be in very nice condition . Good enough to have bronzed and mounted on the wall .

Comment

• 4 Door

Bruce I think you and I came out of the same mold. Take a look at these doors and see if they will fit in this hole. I will make a new rear tail gate and split it into two (two half barn doors with the hatch back). I will make my own door jambs, having the perfect pattern. The doors will be mounted suicide style. I'll make a rain drip edge that extends from the front back to the rear door. My only concern is making the door windows look right. If all else fails I will cut the door window and make it straight. I have two or three pairs of rear door latches, tail gate, hinges, six windsheild frames, three sets of front floors (left, right, center), and some other stuff that OD that I don't know what it goes to. All the extra stuff is for sale. I'm kind of new to this PW thing. I would soon just trade for stuff needed. If you need something let talk and I will send more specific pics.

Comment

• great progress shots , I am now inspired .

Suicide style or just mount the hinges on that nice big vertical straight edge . the thing with suicide doors is they are not forgiving . Pop one open at speed and they tend to do damage . On an off road rig that style door might be a PITA . I do have suicide doors on my hot rod and they have never popped open in 25 years of driving - but I have repaired some damage on rods that the door has come open on . I upgraded to rotary latches on my doors for safety reasons , in retrospect I would advise against this . Hooking up the stock handle or one that looks stock is almost impossible . I am tempted to go back to the stock latches . IMHO shaving the handles or hinges takes away from the charm of the vehicle .
                              Swapping is good , make a list of what you are looking for I or someone else may have what you need . I have built a frame to create a new tailgate but I can not go much farther until I create or buy the hinge part that attaches to the gate . Seriously take some pictures and mail em off to PWA . An article on what you found would be cool . Get your kid to write it - you look busy .
                              Four dooring one of these puppies would be perfect . The more stock looking the better . I am not sure if you can get away with a stock door or the top needs to be squared off , I would use the top half of a rotted off door to do that .

great pictures
                              Bruce

Comment

• More cutting to fix first chop

After looking at the belt line, the first chop was way off. I have seen worse chop jobs when I worked at the street rod shop. We ended up making them look perfect. I definitely will go stock looking. My goal is to make it look like it came off the factory floor as a four door. To square the door/window to match is a must. Instead of two windows behind the door, I will have one. Then the hinges could go on the front or the rear with some bear claw door latches, but keep the original handles. The door windows will need to have a little rake to make them square. I don't know if the wing window in the front door will go away, no big deal just make the window regulator a little longer to hold the glass.
                                As for the parts I will take some pics of the hinges. Do you have an e-mail? I'm at the fire station today, so Sunday I can send you more detailed info. James

Comment

Working...
                                X