No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool . let us know how the parts looks .

What I like about this is you can be doing something else while your part gets cleaned . The process is somewhat directional so you need to be clever with how you set up the part to be cleaned in relation to the anode . I need one of those 45 amp chargers , looks like a guy could do a carryall body with one . Yah doing it outside is a good idea , I would not want to blow the lid off the garage .

Bruce in BC

Comment

• Oops

I put the wrong lead on the work piece. Caught it on a scrap piece. Is the water supposed to get hot? My water is warm, but it only took 2 hours to clean a badley rusted bucket. Leads on the right way and I have a hinge from the hatchback in as we speak. Looks like I wont have to worry about freezing water. Also not sure how long the bucket will last. I have 6 doors, 2 hatchbacks, hoods, tailgates, wheels, etc to do, and was thinking of making a steel tank for the dipping. I'll just junk it when I'm done(if it last that long). Thinking of 3/16 plate, $200 divided by 20 or 30 parts?

James

Comment

• I did it

Well it works. 45 minutes no paint, no rust. Done. Where have I been? I think a 4'x4'x10" tank or maybe 4'x8'. And just think when I brought home my forklift I thought that it would just be for work.

Very cool stuff.

James

Comment

• A steel tank might work ,BUT

Some of the scrap steel I have used for an anode has dissolved very quickly . No telling what could happen to a steel container . You should be able to get a container from a scrap steel recycling place . I see tanks like that quite often .
          What ever holes are in them could be welded up PDQ . I use a big old urethane bathtub for some of my work . One of the 45 gallon plastic drums works too .
          One trick worth trying is to hit the piece with a wire wheel while the piece is still wet . I have flooded some parts with hot water and used the wire wheel to good effect . The black gunk that comes off will stain your clothes and concrete . Warm water works better than cold - I think your 45 volt charger may be heating the work piece and as a side affect heating the water .
          Good luck with it .

Bruce

Be careful , I am not sure where the line between safe and unsafe is with the volt / amperage settings . We would not want to electrocute someone .

Comment

• I use a plastic cattle tank for my set up and it works great. I wish I had a 45volt charger, BUT, with 12 volts it is hard to get any "tingle" from the tank etc. Be careful with the 45 volt charger or you could get a wake up call.

Comment

• I would think that with 45 volts going through some 'Mineralized' water you would get more than a tingle... Just be sure to yell "ALL ABOARD" because you are now a conductor......

Comment

• New floor

Well this old rig hasn't had a floor in it for about 40 years. New floor, cross braces, and seat platform. I had to raise the seat mount so the kids could see out the rear window, also helped to clear the frame rails. The seat will have a slot to slide into and then the rear locks. The new cross braces doubles as a body mount, since there wasn't a floor. Should be plenty strong at 1/4" 2x2 tube, plate 3/16".

Buliding the dip tank to dip doors, fenders, wheels, and poss. body.

Merry Christmas, James

Comment

• Makes me wish I was home so I could spend some of these cold nights in a warm garage getting something done. Oh well, at least I'll have extra cash for parts when I get back.

Keep up the great work!

Comment

• I am doing something similar with my floor .

I am kicking up the rear to clear the new fuel tank tank and my new shock mounts .
                    I plan on running the raised floor to the back of the truck and then drop it down . The riser will tie into the door frame and should stop the body flex and frame cracking that happens at the bottom of the rear hatch opening . I think 3/16 is a tad thick . That said I was equally surprised to find that some of the top builders are using 1/8 th for their floors . The advantages are that it gives a flat floor , no oil canning , less hat channels or no hat channels under the floor , seats and seat belts are easy to mount and it stiffens up the body and the whole car flexes less . The disadvantage is the increase in weight over the 1/16 th plate that is more common . The 3/16 th floor should take the flex right out of the old carryall frame .
                    Check out Craigslist for free leather couches . I am surperised by how many olive green ones show up . A couple of old green couches could provide enough material to recover those seats . What is the bench out of ?
                    take care
                    Bruce
                    Your truck is looking good .

Comment

• " the TRAIL of '42 " cd

There are a couple of shots of our WC53 s in the CD . Lots of shots of the build of the alaska highway from an American army film . It is by Stan Cohen .
                      northernbooks.ca . there is a mess of other trucks too . I was surprised to see how many command cars there were in use on the highway build .

Comment

• 2 carryalls for sale in SD

Here is a shot of a Carryall for sale in SD . May come up on ebay .
                        and here is another shot of the same one ? Not sure to be honest .
                        and one more teaser . I do like these nature pictures of carryalls in their natural environment .
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Pioneer rack ?

In photo #2 there is a rusty rectangle above the rear fender . What are the chances that a pioneer rack was attached at this point ? Sure looks like it to my old eyes .

Comment

• I think your right on the number with that!!
                            Looks like two M-37 on the end as well. These are in South Dakota?
                            Last edited by Bruce; 12-24-2009, 10:42 PM. Reason: more cypherin'

Comment

• Yes they are in SD .

I will try and get the guy to put a add on PWA . I will email him and find out if he wants his phone number posted or not . Apparently he was offered 7 grand for the 2 of them some time ago but turned the offer down . One has all the glass , the other is a partial burn - interior and one rear tire .
                              I do like those pictures . There is something neat about an old vehicle resting in a barn or field .

Comment

• There is a warning posted about these trucks on the Power Wagon website. Apparently these trucks were listed a while back, on eBay, with some issues...?

Comment

Working...
                                X