The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stearing box

Bruce, Do you have stearing box and mount that you took off? If so would you like to sell them? I'll be needing that same setup soon. Thanks for shareing your progress! Jim Hill (bobyepsr)

Comment

• The shipping would slay you .

I will look for the old bracket but I think you could build one for what it would cost you to ship . I will look in my storage truck tomorrow and see if I can find the bracket . Once things hit the boarder the costs go crazy . I might be able to get the thing to Oregon and shipped from there , i gots relatives down that way .

Comment

• rear tailgate

it has been dipped to remove the rust inside . I then taped everything closed and poured paint inside and sloshed it around . the inside of the door got two heavy coats of epoxy and tank primer . A few small dents were pulled out using a stud gun . A small amount of the original paint is still on the outside surface and it will show up at a later date .
        The outside has a coat of high build on it , the inside has a coat of old time red oxide lacquer primer . What you can not see under the high build is a few spots that have been "adjusted " so that the paint will peel off . These areas are getting shot with some yellow to match the original patina . I may resort to some antique crackle type finish but am not about to go there yet . There will be about a pea sized amount of filler used on the outside of the door .
        These are the extra steps that a one percenter can see or would think about when doing a build . For many stripping the insides of a door and painting it is a waste of time . For others , saving old patina or recreating it is something they do not comprehend . Grey Baskerville was a one percenter , he would understand .
        The door will not be finished for a few weeks , some of the paint has to shrink before the patina type layers will be applied .
        Attached Files

Comment

• The best laid plans go poof once the paint dries

The " shoot straight to metal , sealer , high build coating "seems to have screwed up my plan . The top coat softened up the old coat under neath , the problem now is when sanding to the old coat it peels of leaving a nice divit in the paint .
          So I filled the divits with catalyzed yellow and went at it using a high end painting tool a Q tip .After that some catalyzed black found its way on to the tailgate via a cheap brush . I plan on top coating with the newer wrangler green , sanding most of it off to get the black and yellow to come through and then sealing the mess with satan clear . Theme will be green body black fenders with lots of original patina .
          Interior will be painted metallic silver - as close to raw metal as possible , it then will get a coat of that disgusting aluminum aircraft green , some olive green , and maybe that bright green that Dodge used to use . sand to the silver , top coat with satan and have fun while doing it .

Playing with some graphics while I am at it . When I tried to pull the tape the letters would pull off too . So I will let it set up and sand down to the tape and then pull the tape . I will scratch off some parts of the letters and fill the scratches with paint . The effect should look like the letters were painted over years ago and are now just showing through . Might work , might not .

Edit GRAPHICS Big Letters WC53X smaller letters DBTESTMULE I was going to freehand "SkUnKwoRKs " in the corner but I am not sure if I it would get too busy or not . Mirror imaged the D in DB .
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            The " shoot straight to metal , sealer , high build coating "seems to have screwed up my plan . The top coat softened up the old coat under neath , the problem now is when sanding to the old coat it peels of leaving a nice divit in the paint .
            So I filled the divits with catalyzed yellow and went at it using a high end painting tool a Q tip .After that some catalyzed black found its way on to the tailgate via a cheap brush . I plan on top coating with the newer wrangler green , sanding most of it off to get the black and yellow to come through and then sealing the mess with satan clear . Theme will be green body black fenders with lots of original patina .
            Interior will be painted metallic silver - as close to raw metal as possible , it then will get a coat of that disgusting aluminum aircraft green , some olive green , and maybe that bright green that Dodge used to use . sand to the silver , top coat with satan and have fun while doing it .

Playing with some graphics while I am at it . When I tried to pull the tape the letters would pull off too . So I will let it set up and sand down to the tape and then pull the tape . I will scratch off some parts of the letters and fill the scratches with paint . The effect should look like the letters were painted over years ago and are now just showing through . Might work , might not .

Edit GRAPHICS Big Letters WC53X smaller letters DBTESTMULE I was going to freehand "SkUnKwoRKs " in the corner but I am not sure if I it would get too busy or not . Mirror imaged the D in DB .
            An interesting pun, under your circumstances.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• More drama

3m tape , says 5 day tape , I like 3m so out of all the choices I bought their product to do the masking for the graphics . In my case the 5 day tape is 20 hr tape . The tape came off but in bits and pieces and there is glue left behind . i am wondering if it is really 3M tape or a cheap chinese rip off with the 3M label . Not sure how to get the glue off - wax and grease remover would normally work but i think the graphics would come off as well .
              Satin /satan hmmmmmmmm I wonder what gloss Red Devil paint comes in .

edit : PJR 14 rescue green that is the paint code for the top main base coat .
              I just spent 3 hrs driving around looking for a vehicle with the paint on it or a paint chip . Lots of fun .
              Yah I like the messy troglodite version of the WC53X too .
              Attached Files

Comment

• I like the chopped up, crooked, un even, WC53X in the first picture. It matches the rough look. Great job on the paint. I toyed with the idea of putting air brushed bullet, and shrapnel holes on my four door. I have been spending all my time on my stocker. One more fender, and a door, and the body work will be done.

James

Comment

• The patina thing is pretty cool Bruce! I am jealous of everyone elses progress. Work keeps sending me out of town, and while I am gone, I have other people's projects pile up and wait for me to come home. I end up dealing with those first because they are the cash source for WC parts... Speaking of which, I did atleast take delivery of the primary components of my drive train. In my opinion, the Holy Grail of the 4B engine series, the ISB170/420 Common Rail; and its complete head to toe with all of the goodies, from starter, to Turbo, and complete engine harness, trans harness, ECM, TCM, TQ-Convertor, and even all of the wiring from the original donor vehicle. Engine is practically new with only 89k miles on it.

And this transmission IS huge like you said Bruce. Gonna be fun sneaking this guy under the floor.

I took some measurements of the engine, and from the very rear face of the Geartrain (See rear mounted gear train) to the very front face of the crank pulley/balancer, is 32". I am going to end up building a custom radiator, and custom intercooler to fit under the radiator cowl of this thing and still hopefully have room for the steering cooler, and A/C system goodies. The transmission cooler is probably going to be remote mount somewhere lower with a seperate mini-fan and thermostat control. Supposedly the Duramax guys have problems with the trans fluid staying too cool when they install the big remote trans coolers and its somewhat harmful to the transmission. Sorry for rambling..
                  1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• That is so cool .

and you are not rambling , everything you said is interesting and valuable . That drivetrain is AWESUME . Great pictures , I am drooling all over my key board .
                    Trans coolers - you might want to consider a passive cooler and a second one that uses a radiator and temperature activated fan .
                    I have some ideas that may make mounting the engine and drivetrain a bit easier . I will toss you the ideas when you are ready . These are things I thought of after doing mine , in effect I have made your mistakes for you and may save you some grief .
                    Man that set up looks sweet , really is the ultimate 4 cylinder Cummins , the Holly grail of engines and it could not be going into a better vehicle .

take care
                    Bruce

bobyepsr - If I still have that steering mt , it is not in my parts bin or anyplace that I can think of . I may have sold the thing or given it to someone . Too much parts swapping around here to keep track of .

Comment

• Just lurking here, nothing to add but loving every post in this thread! Great job, keep it coming...

Comment

• Can't wait to see that thing unboxed!

I'm going to have the same issues with the cooling setup, though I don't have to worry about a trans cooler. To fit the engine and trans in front of the divorced T-case the engine has to sit pretty far forward. So I'm going to have limited space in front for a radiator, intercooler, and consenser. I'll probalby do a PS cooler but that should be easier to fit.

I think I can do an off-the-shelf aftermarket radiator, but I may need a custom intercooler.

Have a few ideas but not there yet. Might be a good thing to work on while the cab is out getting dipped.

Comment

• cab getting dipped

Would you post some pictures ? I tried to get a quote from redistrip , emailed them 3 times , went out to the company and showed them pictures of my carryall but never got a quote . Not sure what the problem is but they are about the only metal strippers in BC , and my days of shipping stuff across the boarder are done , but I am getting tempted to do it one more time .

take care
                          bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
                            Can't wait to see that thing unboxed!

I think I can do an off-the-shelf aftermarket radiator, but I may need a custom intercooler.

Have a few ideas but not there yet. Might be a good thing to work on while the cab is out getting dipped.
                            I've got the resources for having the custom units built here locally for fairly cheap, just have to supply components, beer, and a little bit of cash. My 19 year old neighbor kid is a full time TIG welder on the Hover-Craft at Amphib Base Little Creek... my other neighbor, (College Roomate of mine) just so happens to own a Miller 250 Syncro-wave with a water cooled torch, etc. that I have full access to whenever I (or neighbor kid) want to use it. Same thing will happen for the fuel tank when the time comes around. I am planning on designing a full stainless tank with baffles and such and having neighbor kid TIG it all up for me. I have a friend who has a full 5x8 CNC plasma table in Newport News and I'll have him cut down my stainless sheet to the needed sizes and then I can cut the baffles and holes for the filler, evap control, return fittings, etc.

But yea, when the time comes for Intercooler/Radiator, lets put our heads together and see if we can't come up with something that tucks into that radiator shell nice and snuggly but also provides room for a decent intercooler.
                            1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Todays progress before lunch

Got the body hanging from the roof and the frame is half out of the shop , I think it is time for lunch .
                              Rolled the dodge dana 60 out from under the frame - a terrible thing has happened I have a high pinion axle and am thinking of building a highbred . But common sense says "NO NO do not go there ! "
                              What is worse is I have a matching 205 case .........
                              Never change boats mid stream , but if you are single and the darn boat has a beautiful girl winking at you the temptation is hard to resist ....
                              Note the high end body lifting system , the sophistication of the structural supports and the 10 to 1 safety factor . No red neck , bailing wire , engineering in this garage .
                              ALXJ64 - wish I had neighbours and contacts like that , about all I get around here is "can you fix this ? " otherwise I seem to be operating in a different world .

take care

Bruce

This thread is ROCKIN !!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for looking for the steering bracket. If you run into it just let me know and we'll try to work it out. Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X