Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho Norm

Hi;
    Am starting to go through my recently aquired 64 wm300.
    While playing around with the pto, I noticed that the pto will not engage the out put shaft. No grinding or anything else to indicate trouble. The out put shaft simply will not turn when the pto lever is applied in either direction. When I get around to working on the winch, what should I look for?
    thanks
    norm

I am not familiar with the PTO set-up (or much else) on your truck. Does it run off of the transmission or the t-case? The reason I ask is I have a latter model W200 with a PTO winch driven off the t-case (np 205) & in order to use the winch I shift the t-case to neutral. This disconnects the drivetrain & allows the PTO to engage properly without too much binding. I know some are able to drive the PTO and the wheels simultaneously, but I have trouble getting things to "mesh" this way. Several people here have your set-up & are more knowledable than I.

Comment

Originally posted by idaho norm View Post
      Hi;
      Am starting to go through my recently aquired 64 wm300.
      While playing around with the pto, I noticed that the pto will not engage the out put shaft. No grinding or anything else to indicate trouble. The out put shaft simply will not turn when the pto lever is applied in either direction. When I get around to working on the winch, what should I look for?
      thanks
      norm
      You could have a mismatched combination of PTO and transmission. In that event, the drive gear of the tranny would not be engaged with the driven gear in the PTO. If you are able to "engage" the PTO without using the clutch, and hear no grinding, this could be the case.

C.D.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

You could take the top plate off the transmission and actually see what is going on in there. It would be easier than trying to pull off the pto to check it. Just be careful not to drop anything in there.
        1949 B-1 PW
        1950 B-2 PW
        1965 WM300
        1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
        1970 Challenger RT 383
        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
        1991.5 W250 diesel
        1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
        2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Not likely that an incorrect PTO unit would even mount up flush although I guess that is remotely possible. Based on what you are describing in that shifting into either drive position & nothing happens; most likely the shift fork is sliding on the shaft rather than engaging the gearing. A broken fork or a loose set screw would be the most likely cause. Some gears could be stripped, but the fork scenario is much more likely. Having a look inside the trans & a search with a magnet in the bottom of the case may reveal any broken gear teeth, etc. You will not be able to see inside the PTO unit from the trans, if you have the shift fork issue going on, you will have to pull the PTO unit & pull it down for a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
            Not likely that an incorrect PTO unit would even mount up flush although I guess that is remotely possible. Based on what you are describing in that shifting into either drive position & nothing happens; most likely the shift fork is sliding on the shaft rather than engaging the gearing. A broken fork or a loose set screw would be the most likely cause. Some gears could be stripped, but the fork scenario is much more likely. Having a look inside the trans & a search with a magnet in the bottom of the case may reveal any broken gear teeth, etc. You will not be able to see inside the PTO unit from the trans, if you have the shift fork issue going on, you will have to pull the PTO unit & pull it down for a rebuild.
            I offered this possibility in light of recent postings that show there are two different PTO options that vary by year. However, I must agree that the shift fork failure seems more likely.

C.D.
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
              I offered this possibility in light of recent postings that show there are two different PTO options that vary by year. However, I must agree that the shift fork failure seems more likely.

C.D.
              Hey Dave, you could be right also. After all the best any of us can do is make our best guess at situations such as this since we are not there to have a look. Like yourself, I could have it diagnosed in 15 minutes or less if I were there, but all I can do from here is offer the best possibilities based on my experiences. I have seen mostly the fork set screw being loose or dropped out completely over the years causing this. I'm anxious to see what he actually finds, we all may learn a new twist that we have not seen to date, you just never know.

Comment

Charles,

Like most of us, I find the more I work in this game, the less I know. I have been working lately on a 1949 Chevy 6400 2 ton dump truck...and I just took in a 1948 Diamond T. Both these trucks have a bunch of innovations and ways of doing things that are new to me, and I find myself comparing the engineering to our Dodges. There are many ways to shin the cat, and they are all pretty amazing!

Just a kid living the dream... It is good that we have each other to keep ourselves in check.

C.D.

P.S. Nice job on your recent piece in the PWA!
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                X