Transfer Case Interchangability Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Interchangability Question

Are transfer cases for the FFPW's interchangeable between different years and transmissions? Or, does each type of transmission have its own style transfer case? I know that later Power Wagons had a different parking brake lever setup than earlier ones. Does this present a problem when interchanging between early and late PW's? Are the parking brakes themselves different?

Thanks,

The NP 200 T-case was used through out the production run,from 46 to 68,and export into the early seventies.
    Same as M-37 with different yokes. The E brake control changed from cable to rod very early in production.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks Tom for the information.

As I researched on the internet, I began to figure that the FFPW transfer case (NP 200) was pretty much the same for all Power Wagons regardless of year.

Today, I pulled down the transfer case from my Power Wagon. Boy, is it heavy. It takes two men and a boy to lower it (and, we didn't have a boy).

I had two other NP 200 transfer cases with which to compare it once I had it on the ground. A transfer case from an earlier PW (a '48, I believe) was almost identical except for a cast in ear on the upper right portion of the transfer case. The ear was machined with a 5/8" hole. I don't know what that is for or why the difference. The later transfer case also had a (bolt?) hole through the lower left portion that the early transfer case didn't have.

Anyway, I have an identical transfer case that I am going to install. Should be no problem.

Comment

Bit of advice: Check to make sure that none of the holes are stripped BEFORE you hang the transfer case.

Comment

Some people have used the WC/6x6 T-case with the 1.5:1 ratio after repowering with an uprated engine- this allows you to evenly split the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
            Some people have used the WC/6x6 T-case with the 1.5:1 ratio after repowering with an uprated engine- this allows you to evenly split the gears.
            Maine, can you fill me in on this? Does "split the gears" mean that one is shifting the transfer case in between each transmission gear change?

Comment

As I understand it, the "splitting" is between the high/low ratio of the T-case- you have more even spread of gears in each range than with 1.96:1. You don't shift between them while moving- at least I haven't tried that.

Comment

Working...
              X