Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Squaretop Hesitation Problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Squaretop Hesitation Problem....

After I got a good accelerator pump shot going in my squaretop, I ran into ANOTHER bog problem, plus having to run with the choke halfway out to get any sort of light acceleration.

This did absolute wonders for fuel mileage- down to 4-5 mpg, even though the plugs looked slightly lean. I started looking for a big air leak or blocked fuel passages, but found none.

What I did find was the Accel Pump's Evil Twin- Skippy, the Stepup Jet. This circuit "steps in" where the accel pump leaves off, and provides light-duty accel requirements. Pic #1 shows what it looks like in the E7F1 & E7S1 carb- it's in the same location in the Roundtop carb, but is smaller in size. The spring-loaded rod is held down by a tiny vacuum piston until acceleration weakens engine vacuum and allows the needle to rise out of the jet.

Pic #2 shows the Squaretop jet on right, and an E7T2 jet at left. My problem was that my jet had never been drilled out! Pic #3 shows the normal E7T2 jet on the right and my solid metal E7F/S1 jet on the left The correct hole size is .0492" (1.25 MM), but I tried .046", as it was the closest number drill size I had on hand.

This made a considerable difference- just a very slight hesitation, and no auxilary choke requirements. I may try playing with float levels a bit before drilling out the jet any larger. Stay tuned...
    Attached Files

That was a true #0 jet I guess!

Comment

Well it looks like the main jet may be a little too lean- it was bright & shiny brass along with the stepup jet, so it looks like they were also replaced by the same Carbmeister that did the accel pump spring. I ordered a master rebuild kit from the Carb Shop that has the main/stepup jets, if it works I'll post the main jet dia, as the only data you get is a flow figure in cc's/min on the Carter data sheet. Both the main and stepup jet dia.'s on the round top carbs are smaller, as they may have been more efficient- there's a surprising difference in venturii dia.'s in different manufacturer's carbs for the same size engine.

Comment

Working...
      X