Restorable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator Rebuild Question

I just finished painting my 251 this morning and am looking to get everything bolted back on the frame soon. About the only thing that stands between me and body work now is the radiator. How do you go about restoring an old radiator? Mine had some holes punched through it that were repaired but they don't look too good. There also seems to be an unreasonable amount of rust buildup in the reservoirs. Does anyone build entirely new radiators to match your old one? It sounds expensive but I don't want to just stick the old one back on.
    thanks.
    Joel

The picture is of the motor I finished up this morning. I used POR 15's Chrysler Hemi Orange.
    Attached Files

Comment

A good radiator shop may be able to re-core it if the end tanks are good, but it's not going to be cheap. As for new, I'm sure you could get a shop or one of the aftermarket places to fab an aluminum one to your specifications. I know Charles Talbert uses custom built aluminum replacement radiators in his conversions. He might be able to set you up too. It will probably cost as much or more as re-coring the old radiator but should perform better, be more reliable, and last longer than a re-core, but won't look as original.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by JReed View Post
        Thanks everyone for the advice. It's lookin like I won't get around to body work for another month or so. I was just curious what others thought because Matt Tisdale was selling a pair of first series reproduction bedsides. I thought they might make more sense than restoring my own, though they don't belong on a WM300. By the way Jake, how do you move a thread? I'm not too familiar with this forum yet.
        I think only the moderators can move a thread. Once you get it situated it can grow quite exponentially. The largest thread here is a few years old, over 30 pages with 30,000+ views. Someone adds to it almost weekly.

Comment

I don't think it is in the wrong place, but....where do you think it should be located?
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            I don't think it is in the wrong place, but....where do you think it should be located?
            I think what Jake was getting at was combining or adding information from this thread to the other thread on the same vehicle (same thread originator too), which is also in this same forum (1-ton power wagon)....So its not really in the wrong forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
              I think what Jake was getting at was combining or adding information from this thread to the other thread on the same vehicle (same thread originator too), which is also in this same forum (1-ton power wagon)....So its not really in the wrong forum.
              Thank you for the clarification..... Done.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Nice work on the engine Jreed.
                You have a nice advantage with your hoist, Is it stationary or is it on rails?

Comment

Thanks Desoto for the info... should help give me some direction.

Jake, the motor is actually just hanging from a hand winch that I attached to a log overhead. Works pretty well though a sliding hoist would be really convenient at times.

Comment

Your shop is too clean , neat and organized .

I bet you used photoshop and spent an hour removing images . A lot faster than cleaning up . Sweet build .

Comment

Just to give you an idea it ran me about $700 to have the radiator in my Desoto re-cored. A custom made aluminum will easily run more than a grand.

I was going through one of my favorite PW sites again and found this option. Not factory correct but should be cheaper. Lots of other good info there too, not to mention the trucks!

Comment

Thanks desoto for all the info. Sounds like it could be pretty expensive to get a radiator. Unfortunately I think I should. Do you know if mister Talbert sells anything like that?

Photoshop is a good idea. shoulda thought of that sooner. Actually im using my dads shop so i gotta keep it clean.

Comment

Got started bolting everything back to the frame this weekend. Haven't run into any problems yet. Here are a few pics.

By the way desoto, I just realized that you had already mentioned mister Talbert. I'll probably try and contact him to see if he would by willing to sell one of his repros. Not sure, but it might make more sense for me to see if I can find someone in denver to make an aluminium copy. I did check out your link but I think I'm going to steer the other direction. Thanks again.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JReed View Post
                            Thanks desoto for all the info. Sounds like it could be pretty expensive to get a radiator. Unfortunately I think I should. Do you know if mister Talbert sells anything like that?

Photoshop is a good idea. shoulda thought of that sooner. Actually im using my dads shop so i gotta keep it clean.
                            He just replied to this thread about the ones they use. Not sure what "A little more" is but even if it's closer to $1000 I wouldn't consider that too bad for a new custom built aluminum radiator considering prices for more common replacements from places like Summit. I'm pretty sure he'd sell them, he even listed the supplier he uses. If you look through the forum you won't find anyone who wouldn't reccomend him. I plan on obtaining his assistance when I get to the point of actually putting mine back together.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

Comment

So I called up mister Talbert's supplier, Bob Fett about those custom aluminum radiators today. Just told him that I was lookin' for a power wagon radiator like those he has built for Charles Talbert. He said that for about $800 he could build a unit for my power wagon. I went ahead and ordered one. He said he would call back soon and let me know the exact cost. I figure around $900 or so shipped to Colorado... a lot of money, but I figure that when it can cost near $700 to re-core, what's a little more to get something new thats more efficient and durable. Anyway thanks Desoto for all the help and thanks to mister Talbert as well.

Comment

Bob Fett radiator...

if you looked @ Charles' website you'd realize he takes IMMENSE pride in his workmanship and wouldn't use any junk.

good decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X