47 wdx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 wdx

Im a new wdx owner as of to day and have some questions and maby some info good for all from my one owner 18,770 mile wdx. Is safety wireing common under the truck ? Also is there more than one color for the headliner/ rear cab covering ? thanks paul in south jersey

Welcome Paul...

Welcome to the forum Paul, Clint "Eastwood" er Dixon may know the answer to that question. There are others here that are also knowledgeble on the earlier models. In any case we will definitely need to see some pictures of the awesome truck you have!!!

Comment

Originally posted by preaction View Post
      Im a new wdx owner as of to day and have some questions and maby some info good for all from my one owner 18,770 mile wdx. Is safety wireing common under the truck ? Also is there more than one color for the headliner/ rear cab covering ? thanks paul in south jersey
      Welcome!

Safety wire is used on the T-case bracket bolts and the PTO drive line bolts that I know of for sure.
      Early trucks had brown interior.
      Later had Black or brown.
      TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
        Welcome!

Safety wire is used on the T-case bracket bolts and the PTO drive line bolts that I know of for sure.
        Early trucks had brown interior.
        Later had Black or brown.
        TGP
        I agree with Tom. Also want to add that sometime in the 1950's some trucks started being fitted with gray headliners.

Comment

thanks

being new to this truck i have so many questions. Is the two levers on the front hubs for locking the hubs normal ? I dont find it in the owners manual, there was one in the glove box! also once locked are the rears locked as in 1oo% drive to each tire like a detroit locker. When the truck is parked and ideling and the winch handle in the center positon should the drive shaft still be turning ?

Comment

Are you new to this Power Wagon or to all Power Wagons?

Steve in NJ

Comment

You should not see any PTO shaft movement when the handle is centered with the truck in neutral. There's an idler gear in the PTO that mates with the tranny which runs in neutral, but that's the only thing that should be running when the lever is centered. If you can't get the PTO shaft to stop at some point during the travel of the lever, something's wrong and needs to be checked out.

The stock diffs are not lockers, so even with the front wheels locked in, you could still be stuck if the front & rear wheels on one side were on a very slippery surface and the other side had normal traction. Lockout front hubs DO save a lot of front end wear, and give you noticeably better gas mileage.

Comment

new

This is my first power wagon and Im looking for some direction as to how to keep and care for the truck. Ill post some pics as soon as possible to give some gage of the condition of this truck. also it appears there is something wrong with the pto, runs all the time. paul

Comment

Paul,

I'm only about a little more than an hour north of you. Thurs and Fri are open for me if you want to meet and we'll can go over your truck.

Steve in NJ

Comment

great

Thanks steve Id be very happy to get to gether, give me a call 856 401 2177 paul

Comment

dodge hubs

Is there any advantage to warn hubs over the factory two lever hubs that I believe are the factory set?

Comment

Is there any advantage to warn hubs over the factory two lever hubs that I believe are the factory set?
                        The two lever hub you refer too are "Dual Matic's.
                        They were not factory options.
                        Warn was the factory option hub only after sometime in the early sixties.
                        I believe 1962. Up until then they were a customer or dealer installed item.
                        As far as which is better,probably the Warn,however that is also debatable.
                        Dual Matics are a good strong hub I believe. The biggest problem is you" MUST" lock or unlock both levers. If you forget and only move one lever you will destroy the hub.
                        TGP
                        Attached Files
                        WDX & Misc. Pics.
                        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                        "47" Dodge WDX WW
                        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                        "54" Willys M38A1
                        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

front hubs

thanks tom, if the dual matics were lets say dealer installed what was installed from the factory?

Comment

thanks tom, if the dual matics were lets say dealer installed what was installed from the factory?
                            Warn was the factory option hub only after sometime in the early sixties.
                            I believe 1962. Up until then they were a customer or dealer installed item.
                            Warn was his answer.

Comment

Some clarification for preaction.

Warn was the factory option hub only after sometime in the early sixties. I believe 1962. Up until then they were a customer or dealer installed item.
                              Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
                              Warn was his answer.
                              If I understand the questions correctly, there is still some confusion on preactions part.

What Tom and Kevin are saying, is that the factory never offered locking hubs on WDX-WM300 model Power Wagons from 1946 though approximately 1962. Drive flanges were used which did not allow the front axles to be "unlocked".

Any locking hubs found on trucks from those years were either dealer installed or owner installed (or possibly SEG [SEG = Dodge Special Equipment Group] installed).

This is where it gets technical. The SEG was located in a special area of the factory, and was strictly responsible for equipping trucks to meet customer's special requests, I.E.: dual wheels on trucks not normally offered with dual wheels, Hemi V8 engines in trucks normally availabe only with 6-cylinder engines, locking hubs on trucks not normally available with locking hubs, etc.

But SEG installed equipment was still not considered a "factory option".

So to sum up: no factory hubs available from 1946-1962, Warn Hubs factory available after 1962 (give or take a year or two), Warn, Denver, Perfect Circle, Dual Matic, etc. hubs available as dealer or owner installed from the time they became available from these various companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X