Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting exhibit in World's largest truck stop....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting exhibit in World's largest truck stop....

Check out this exhibit in Walcott, Iowa truck stop on I-80 (the world's largest)- http://www.flickr.com/photos/texas_h...fer/2261692237 - the comments by "average Americans" are interesting. Dodge broke the mold when they stopped producing the WDX-WM series- no matter how hard they try, they'll likely never make another truck that inspires the same feelings.

Sure wish my 47 looked like that. John

Comment

I live 20 miles from there

The truck is nice, but I would not call it a restoration. It was fixed up with the intent of being placed on display. There were some short cuts taken in the process. Bolts are missing, the radiator cowl was pulled off by hacking in access for the fasteners that were not meant to be accessed until after the radiator was removed from the assembly, etc.

As a display truck, it sees a lot of abuse from customers. For instance, kids emptying the bumper sticker rack and pasting them all over the truck. People throwing beverage containers and wrappers in the back of it. Individuals "testing" the thickness of the paint. It would lead an easier life if it were carrying firewood.

Still, great to see a Power-Wagon on display in a prominant facility.

Anyone passing through the area should take time to visit the Trucking Museum at the same truckstop, in a seperate building to the north side of the parking lot. They have a rotating display of about 300 trucks.

Comment

Clint,

I didn't know you lived so close to that truck stop. Eric & I broke down there once in 1999, and had to leave my trailer behind at the truck stop and LIPPED (20-25 mph) my 3500 Ram down the side of I-80 to get it to the nearest dealer in IL, where we took naps in the waiting area until help showed up from Wi to tow my trailer home.

I returned later the following week to pickup my broke Ram and go home, only to take it to another dealer that could not fix it. The truck went to 3 different dealers totaly three months, before it was a running truck agian. My dad always said is "sucks paying for a dead horse" Yes it did!! Three months of payments on a "dead horse"

Comment

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
          I didn't know you lived so close to that truck stop. Eric & I broke down there once in 1999, and had to leave my trailer behind at the truck stop and LIPPED (20-25 mph) my 3500 Ram down the side of I-80 to get it to the nearest dealer in IL, where we took naps in the waiting area until help showed up from Wi to tow my trailer home.

I returned later the following week to pickup my broke Ram and go home, only to take it to another dealer that could not fix it. The truck went to 3 different dealers totaly three months, before it was a running truck agian. My dad always said is "sucks paying for a dead horse" Yes it did!! Three months of payments on a "dead horse"
          I am even closer to I280 (the well-kept secret, less traveled, shortcut around the Quad Cities) at 8 miles.

You are always welcome to stop here as you travel by. In fact, you can use my place as a convenient staging area for Power-Wagons since we are located near a crossroads of major interstate highways. I promise to be a good caretaker of the trucks you temporarily drop off, test out their 4-wheeling capabilities, and clean them up by removing any unnecessary junk gadgets that previous owners have added, etc. ;^)

Oh yeah, Cheyenne Dave had a 3500 Ram break down near here too. He didn't utilize the opportunity to its greatest potential and come by and visit either....... ;^(

Comment

The photo would make a great T-shirt pic if the background were edited out, leaving just the rocks and truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
              I am even closer to I280 (the well-kept secret, less traveled, shortcut around the Quad Cities) at 8 miles.

You are always welcome to stop here as you travel by. In fact, you can use my place as a convenient staging area for Power-Wagons since we are located near a crossroads of major interstate highways. I promise to be a good caretaker of the trucks you temporarily drop off, test out their 4-wheeling capabilities, and clean them up by removing any unnecessary junk gadgets that previous owners have added, etc. ;^)

Oh yeah, Cheyenne Dave had a 3500 Ram break down near here too. He didn't utilize the opportunity to its greatest potential and come by and visit either....... ;^(
              Sounds like you have set up some type of force field around your place. I'll have to put that on my list of roads to travel...and I'll bring a tool box....= )

Comment

Norm, a tool box didn't do me much good, I had two of them with. Even taking the truck to the Dodge garage didn't help much either, until the third one. I could right a book almost about that break down, and what I learned about mother Mopar!

Clint, I will have to keep that in mind. I have never noticed until I just looked at the pictures that that Power Wagon has a pillow block, I have been to that truck stop many times. I might have to have someone create a distraction next time I there,, ;-)) It just seems like a unnecessary gadget for a display truck.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                  Sounds like you have set up some type of force field around your place. I'll have to put that on my list of roads to travel...and I'll bring a tool box....= )
                  Norm, not only are YOU welcome to stop by, I'll even invite YOU to stay awhile. ;^)

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
                  ....I have never noticed until I just looked at the pictures that that Power Wagon has a pillow block, I have been to that truck stop many times. I might have to have someone create a distraction next time I there,, ;-)) It just seems like a unnecessary gadget for a display truck.

Matt
                  Matt, the tuck even has an original passenger side tail light bracket, or at least it did.......the last time I checked...... ;^)

Comment

Originally posted by clint dixon View Post
                    norm, not only are you welcome to stop by, i'll even invite you to stay awhile. ;^)
                    = )

Comment

More PW praise..... http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/07...wer-wagon.html maybe there's a hint for Fiat here.....

Comment

Working...
                      X