E-Z Door Latch Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Z Door Latch Repair

I took one of my trucks out to the monthly local mud bog gatherings and the driver's door popped open on more than one occasion. It hadn't happened before but I figure the twisting of the truck through all the ruts caused it to pop open. It was more embarassing than dangerous so I decided to fix it.

The latch in the door was worn. It is made up of two laminations of steel and the outer one was worn off. I had stripped a couple of doors a few years ago so I went rummaging for one of those latches. I found it and of course it was worn also. Since I already had one in my hands I decided to repair it and then swap it out with the one in the truck.

Here is what the worn latches typically look like.
    Attached Files

I glass beaded and welded the latch, but the first step was to make a pattern before hand by placing a piece of cardboard between the housing and the latch itself. I then spray painted lightly to give me a shadow of the good portion of the latch just in case something happened during welding. I ended up not needing it because the welding went well.
    Attached Files

Comment

Then I ground the welded portion to match the good portion that was left. I left a little extra on because it wouldn't interfere with anything. If it were for a show truck you could put more time into grinding it to not show any flaws.
      Attached Files

Comment

All that was left was to exchange it out for the one in the truck. The window and mechanism had to come out for that. I greased it and installed and then shot some paint on it. You should also check for broken springs while you're in there. It cost me nothing but time. A couple of days later I noticed Vintage Power Wagons sells reproduction ones for around $175.00 I think. If you don't have the cash to spare this repair works great.
        Attached Files

Comment

One last final note. The donor latch was from B-1 and is held in place with fine screws. The truck I was working on is a B-3 and the latch had coarse screws. I didn't notice till the screws wouldn't go back in. I swapped the screws for the matching ones.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Kevin. John

Comment

I did mor ethan one of those repairs.

Souldn't there be shims under the catch on the cab? Spacing that outwards would allow both layers of the latch to grab.

Comment

Originally posted by chriscase View Post
                Souldn't there be shims under the catch on the cab? Spacing that outwards would allow both layers of the latch to grab.
                I thought of that and it would work, but none of my trucks have any. That kind of thinking is too modern for these trucks ;^)

Comment

Working...
                X