Boulder Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boulder Weight?

In the October '09 issue of PWA, there's a couple pics of a gin-pole PW hooked up to a respectable rock. I did some "photo analysis" using the front bumper measurement to scale the rock, and I figure that it has to weigh between 1100 and 1500 lbs (rock typically weighs between 130-160 lbs/cu ft). I'm wondering how close this guess is to the actual weight- anybody have any input?

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
    In the October '09 issue of PWA, there's a couple pics of a gin-pole PW hooked up to a respectable rock. I did some "photo analysis" using the front bumper measurement to scale the rock, and I figure that it has to weigh between 1100 and 1500 lbs (rock typically weighs between 130-160 lbs/cu ft). I'm wondering how close this guess is to the actual weight- anybody have any input?
    If you were to see the color photo, you would see that is no ordinary rock. It is a gold nugget. It weighs a "little bit" more than your average run-of-the-mill rock.

(Don supports his Power-Wagon addiction by employing the trucks to prospect around his claim.)

Comment

I think your math is off a bit. I'd estimate at least 6000 lbs.

http://www.delawarequarries.com/land...boulderwt.html

Comment

Seeing as how the boulder is about 8-10 feet in front of the centerline of the front axle (the fulcrum of this lever) and the rear of the truck is still on the ground, meaning the part of the truck behind the front axle outweighs the boulder, I'd guess in the 1800lb range. I know in the top picture there's some air under that right rear tire, but the vehicle doesn't appear to be on a flat or level surface.

Let's weigh it!

Bucky

Comment

I was surprised at the final estimate- I was expecting at least a ton. Basically, I assumed the front bumper to be the same width as mine (5 ft), and scaled the rock from that. It looks like about 1/2 the size of a rectangular block of the same dimensions, so multiplying by my density factor of 130- 160 lbs/cu ft gave me the weight. It seems fairly close, since the front A-frame type hoists are usually quoted at 1500 lbs capacity before you start lifting the rear tires. I thought about posting a pic, but didn't think Gordon would appreciate flagrant copyright violation on his Forum. If we ask him nicely, he may consider to publish the pic, but then again, you may be left to your imagination if you're not a subscriber.

Comment

Working...
          X