No announcement yet.

Clutch, "clunking", Throwout bearing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch, "clunking", Throwout bearing??

Hi all, this is my first time post, but i've already looked over the forum and gained some valuable information. I have not found any reference to my current problem, so here goes.
    With the engine idling there is a "clunking" sound coming from the engine/transmission area. When I depress the clutch pedal gradually, the "clunking" becomes less until the clutch pedal is pressed approx half way down it's travel and then the sound stops. I've visually inspected the clutch with it still installed. Nothing looks out of place.
    I thought maybe the spring that is attached to the throwout bearing may have deteriorated and be broken but I can see that the spring is still in place. I wanted to get some opinions before going through the process of tearing things apart to inspect closer. What do you think the most likely problem is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

I suppose i should tell you what we are dealing with.

1957, Flat Fender Power Wagon, 4x4, All Stock.

Any more info needed please do not hesitate to ask.

Many Thanks

Neil

Comment

So you have taken the lower sheet metal "inspection" cover off? and found that the throw-out bearing's return spring is still attached? And from that perspective everything looks "OK"?

you are getting this noise when the truck is idling in neutral? Does it make the noise when in gear? does it make noise all the time, or only when cold... or only when hot? I don't know of Throw-out bearings making a clicking noise, as they start to fail...

NOT that I am an expert by any means, but I wonder if the noise could be related to the input shaft pilot bearing? Or lack of a good pilot bearing?

Comment

Jason, thanks for the response. I am by no means an expert at all, very much a novice when it comes to mechanics.

Yes, the only inspection made thus far is with the inspection cover off.
        The sound only occurs when in neutral, when in gear there is no noise. And it occurs when hot and cold. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Look in the transmission

If the noise you refer to stops when the clutch is released, I can only think you have transmission issues going on. If all sounds normal when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, you need to pull the top off the transmission for a look - see inspection. I suspect it will be obvious at first glance what is going on.

Comment

Update!

So, upon further inspection we discovered that the fly wheel was not turning on center and wobbled a little. We tightened up the bolts that attach the fly wheel to the crankshaft and solved the "clunking" noise.

This PW belongs to my fiancee's grandfather and he had the engine rebuilt about 5 yrs ago. Then let the PW just sit until now, he pulled it out and we started to work on it. I'm assuming the guy who re-built the engine didn't tighten the bolts, which is a little disconserting but there you go. Makes you wonder what else wasn't done right. But anyway, everything is going smoothly now.

Thanks for your responses.

Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by 57PW View Post
              So, upon further inspection we discovered that the fly wheel was not turning on center and wobbled a little. We tightened up the bolts that attach the fly wheel to the crankshaft and solved the "clunking" noise.

This PW belongs to my fiancee's grandfather and he had the engine rebuilt about 5 yrs ago. Then let the PW just sit until now, he pulled it out and we started to work on it. I'm assuming the guy who re-built the engine didn't tighten the bolts, which is a little disconserting but there you go. Makes you wonder what else wasn't done right. But anyway, everything is going smoothly now.

Thanks for your responses.

Neil.
              Good to hear you found the problem.

As for the reliability of rebuilders, don't be surprised at anything you find. We've found loose crank jaws, improperly installed rear main seals, improperly lapped valves, improperly adjusted valves, head bolts not torqued right, valve tappets faced out of square, and I could go on. My experience has been this; first off we have let the guys at the machine shop build up a couple when we were busy and pushed. Had various issues with both when we got them back and run on our test stand. We still send ours out for the needed machine work, but request everything back disassembled. This gives me the opportunity to check everything before assembly begins and during the assembly process. Honestly, it is the only way I know to get one right in all respects. We've never experienced issues with a rebuild assembled in house, I can't say that for outsourcing, so we do it in house. I can then stand behind an engine with peace of mind.

Comment

Charles,
                That is an excellent approach: let the machine shop do the machining and you do the assembly to ensure it is right.
                One time my dad had his Ford V-8 360 rebuilt through a local shop here. My mechanic sourced the work to a local machine shop. When he got it back and installed it, it never ran right. After weeks of back and forth stuff, the mechanic shop (who I trusted) finally got the machine shop who did the work to give us a new rebuilt engine.
                It turns out that with the first engine they screwed up the cylinder boring.
                The whole thing caused me some grief as I was sort of in the middle. If my mechanic had assembled the machined engine like you said, I would think he would have seen the problem from the machine shop. The total cost to me might have been slightly more, but the pain in the butt factor would have not been there, so worth it. Part of the problem is that they probably were pushed for time and so it was convenient to simply trust the machine shop and install the rebuilt motor.
                Needless to say I don't get near that machine shop anymore and tell anyone who asks what a crappy job they did.
                Though a marine mechanic friend, I found out about an older man nearby who was very good; had a shop based out of his home machine shop.
                Turns out that this guy does all sorts of work; racing engines for the drag racers, as well as a lot of work for the antique ford people - so has all the knowledge and equipment for flat head engines - as well as modern ones. More importantly he is a perfectionist about quality. He rebuilt my PW flat head and assembled it. But, people like him are getting more rare.

Comment

I know what you mean

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                  Charles,
                  That is an excellent approach: let the machine shop do the machining and you do the assembly to ensure it is right.
                  One time my dad had his Ford V-8 360 rebuilt through a local shop here. My mechanic sourced the work to a local machine shop. When he got it back and installed it, it never ran right. After weeks of back and forth stuff, the mechanic shop (who I trusted) finally got the machine shop who did the work to give us a new rebuilt engine.
                  It turns out that with the first engine they screwed up the cylinder boring.
                  The whole thing caused me some grief as I was sort of in the middle. If my mechanic had assembled the machined engine like you said, I would think he would have seen the problem from the machine shop. The total cost to me might have been slightly more, but the pain in the butt factor would have not been there, so worth it. Part of the problem is that they probably were pushed for time and so it was convenient to simply trust the machine shop and install the rebuilt motor.
                  Needless to say I don't get near that machine shop anymore and tell anyone who asks what a crappy job they did.
                  Though a marine mechanic friend, I found out about an older man nearby who was very good; had a shop based out of his home machine shop.
                  Turns out that this guy does all sorts of work; racing engines for the drag racers, as well as a lot of work for the antique ford people - so has all the knowledge and equipment for flat head engines - as well as modern ones. More importantly he is a perfectionist about quality. He rebuilt my PW flat head and assembled it. But, people like him are getting more rare.
                  My experience, the older guys are almost always the best. They had good business principals instilled years ago when a person's word actually meant something. Doing business these days can be really frustrating, sometimes I get the feeling that nobody really cares anymore. The machinist we like to use is 63 years old now, I dread the day he decides to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                    My experience, the older guys are almost always the best. They had good business principals instilled years ago when a person's word actually meant something. Doing business these days can be really frustrating, sometimes I get the feeling that nobody really cares anymore. The machinist we like to use is 63 years old now, I dread the day he decides to quit.
                    Speaking of doing good business...I got a box of parts delivered by Fed Ex yesterday...nicely packaged, quality parts from some old guy in North Carolina who still does good business.

Comment

I really feel like an old guy today, it's been a mess around here this week and we are already booked with run in projects for Monday in addition to the current long term projects that are currently in progress. I'm NOT complaining one bit as we have been blessed in a huge way with plenty of work. I can honestly say that here at M Series, we can not tell the country has been in a recession. God's blessing on a business is the BEST asset any business can have, we have a great testimony here. My old guy from the machine shop has just left a while ago, said his business is at zero right now. His wife has health issues and he needs work to deal with the finacial end of that. He is working on a M37 for a gentleman to try and tie over til more work comes into his shop. I guess he and I will spend a few hours after church tomorrow afternoon diagnosing some wiring issues he has run into. He isn't familiar with the military system, and someone has doctored on the wiring. He is lost for words, so I'm going over to lend him a hand. After all, he has done much for me over the years without ever a cross word.

Glad your package made it ok and on time, good luck with that front end project.

Comment

Working...
                      X