Engine ID number or Serial (VIN) number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID number or Serial (VIN) number

Bought a WDX, with a clean Title but the VIN number listed on it was the Engine ID, not the chassis serial number.

I also got the original serial number plate but it was not attached to the left hand door pillar.

The serial number on the plate is the same as the serial number stamped on the left hand frame rail near the left front shock.

The DMV offers the opportunity to change or correct a valid title, so I'd like to know what is the best number to show on a title?

The engine ID number...or the chassis serial number?

Thought that if I ever go diesel , the chassis serial number would be best.

Thanks,

MontanaWDX

Originally posted by MontanaWDX View Post
    Bought a WDX, with a clean Title but the VIN number listed on it was the Engine ID, not the chassis serial number.

I also got the original serial number plate but it was not attached to the left hand door pillar.

The serial number on the plate is the same as the serial number stamped on the left hand frame rail near the left front shock.

The DMV offers the opportunity to change or correct a valid title, so I'd like to know what is the best number to show on a title?

Thanks,

MontanaWDX
    The # stamped into the frame rail web is the actual VIN#. Engine# is generally not relevant for registration purposes, but that rule of thumb may not apply in all states, check locally would be my suggestion.

Comment

WDX serial number

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the reply about the serial number question. I spoke to you on the phone last year about doing a Cummins re engine, so that's why I want the chassis serial number on the Title. I'll give you a call to discuss the rebuild.

Thanks,

MontanaWDX

Comment

The frame/data plate number would be the correct number many of our trucks have had their motors changed over the years for one reason or another. John

Comment

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the reply about the serial number question. I spoke to you on the phone last year about doing a Cummins re engine, so that's why I want the chassis serial number on the Title. I'll give you a call to discuss the rebuild.

Thanks,

MontanaWDX
          Glad to help, just let us know.

Comment

Numbers, Engine or Vehicle

For years, many states used the engine numbers to identify a vehicle. This practice changed in the late 1940's and the frame number became the primary identifier. Vehicle titles from that era may use either number. Most states recognize this and have provisions for correcting the title to use the frame number.

Starting in the 1960's, manufacturers started expanding the VIN to include information about the vehicle's equipment and options. Both the states and the federal government became involved in standardizing the VIN's. This occurred in several phases.

Starting in 1981, the federal government has mandated a VIN that consists of 17 characters which do not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0). These seventeen numbers include several specified data fields.

Comment

Maybe something to keep in mind

Thanks,

MontanaWDX
              I bought a truck from Wisconsin. It had the engine number on the title. I asked Illinois to correct it when I transferred it to my name. They had me send it back to Wisconsin to the seller. The seller had to get a new/corrected title in Wisconsin and send it back to me. I then transferred that corrected title to an Illinois title.

Big mistake.

I should have stayed with the engine number as Illinois didn't really care one way or another.

I was purchasing from the original owner and Illinois would have let me keep the original title with the original owners name as a historical record. Wisconsin destroyed the original away when they issued the seller a corrected title. I missed an opportunity.

Comment

Working...
              X