Windshield regulator attachment to frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield regulator attachment to frame

When I bought my truck it was partially dissasembled. I decided to restore it rather than reassemble as it. Someone previously had removed the windshield regulator and screwed the windshield frame into the truck cab near the dash to secure it.
    I got a rebuild regulator and installed it. I works fine, goes all the way out and all the way in. But, when I installed (slightly loose to allow adjustment) the windshield and then attached the regulator bracket to the windshield frame, the regulator won't completely retract, it acts like its attachment point on the windshield frame is too "high" to let it retreact completely into its opening in the cab, and thus I cant get the windshield to completely close.
    The picture shows where I attached it. Is this the correct place or should there be a flange installed allowing the regulator bracket to attach "lower" on the windshield? If it attached lower I think it would work.
    Attached Files

Dave,
    it's hard to see your picture on this pc @work,but looks like the tape is upside down?
    It's supposed to arc upward. Does your's do that?
    Something don't look right.
    I have to check now when I get home.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Tom,
      Yes it does arc upward, and seems to work fine overall, although it binds a bit as it gets close to the bottom. I find I have to push the regulator bracket down slightly to get it retract fully into the slot (when not attached to window frame).

Comment

Did you try to adjust the winshield in the frame? Your windshield may be closing slightly high. Pull off the cover plates and re adjust the windshield.

Frank

Comment

Thanks, I will try it again, with everything loose. I will also see about the tape position up or down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
            Dave,
            it's hard to see your picture on this pc @work,but looks like the tape is upside down?
            It's supposed to arc upward. Does your's do that?
            Something don't look right.
            I have to check now when I get home.
            TGP
            Tom, you may be on to it. I did not understand your question at first above. But, on checking it again, mine is arcing downward at the ends. That is how it came back to me from the rebuilder. I will try taking it out and turning it upside down so the ends arc up?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
              Tom, you may be on to it. I did not understand your question at first above. But, on checking it again, mine is arcing downward at the ends. That is how it came back to me from the rebuilder. I will try taking it out and turning it upside down so the ends arc up?
              Dave
              I now have a better picture to see.
              The concave of the tape looks correct.
              Not sure turning it over will be right.
              But as it unwinds it also is supposed to arc upwards.
              If that makes sense?
              TGP
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

the arc has to stay in the tape, it comes out of the regulator straight and has to stay that way in order to hold the windshield out. the curve is what makes it strong enough to hold the window out, there is a tremendous amount of wind pressure on the window at speed (35-40) I would be inclined to think that whats going on is a misalinment of some sort, either the regulator itsself or the window frame. yours looks just like mine and mine works fine. I had to replace the oridginal, and I've had the window out several times in the past.(last summer) so it's not anything that won't work out some way. also, it won't go in the other way anyway. Dave.

Comment

tape is upside down

Comment

Dave, I just looked at your picture again, the tape is correct, the regulator is correct and all I can see that it needs, is to be ajusted down slightly(windshield) I went to the truck and cranked out the window, it was EXACTLY like yours in the picture. also it was EXACTLY like the two other regulators I have that have never been apart. when you ajust the window, do the side to side first, then the up-down. when it's done the small bracket with the screws in it should be hidden from veiw. I think maybe that the rivet or the screws is hitting something and holding it out, keeping the window from closing. it's pretty simple once the wiper covers come off. you can see which screws do what and work accordingly. shouldn't take more than 30-35 minutes and you'll be in the warm and out of the draft. nothing like 20 degree air pouring in around the window at 30 mph. P.S. crank window out about 2or3 inches when you start to ajust. Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Pellock View Post
                      tape is upside down
                      Steve,
                      So you saying the tape should have a slight "U" shape from looking at it on end rather than the gentle ^ shape?
                      How difficult would it be to turn the tape over?
                      I am thinking I will try what Dave and Frank said and loosen the attachments and see if I can get it to work first as is. The windshield was, as I said, screwed into place so the position of the upper brackets did not mean that much compared to what is needed now.

Comment

My experience is the tape should have a high center and the ends tapper down, just as his is installed. In addition to the placement of the windshield, you might want to check the condition of the tape that is in contact with the gear at the binding position.
                        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will, check your PM.

Comment

I loosened up the hinge attachments and was able to get the tape and window retracted, but it was very "stiff" as I neared the final position. IN other words it took A LOT of torque on the handle. I am wondering if there is binding between the little movable bracket on the end of the tape and the opening in the dash. I will check that out later. I did not get binding when I took the regulator out yesterday and worked it up and down and lubed it with white lithium spray grease.
                            I also noticed that the windshield rubber sealed well on the top and bottom dimensions, but not quite as well on the sides, particularly toward the bottom corner. I don't see daylight there, but it is not as tight. I guess that is somewhat typical?

Comment

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
                              Dave, I just looked at your picture again, the tape is correct, the regulator is correct and all I can see that it needs, is to be ajusted down slightly(windshield) I went to the truck and cranked out the window, it was EXACTLY like yours in the picture. also it was EXACTLY like the two other regulators I have that have never been apart. when you ajust the window, do the side to side first, then the up-down. when it's done the small bracket with the screws in it should be hidden from veiw. I think maybe that the rivet or the screws is hitting something and holding it out, keeping the window from closing. it's pretty simple once the wiper covers come off. you can see which screws do what and work accordingly. shouldn't take more than 30-35 minutes and you'll be in the warm and out of the draft. nothing like 20 degree air pouring in around the window at 30 mph. P.S. crank window out about 2or3 inches when you start to ajust. Dave.
                              PW Dave, thank you for your advice and reply...I am following that course.

Comment

Working...
                              X