position of switch for heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• position of switch for heater

I have a '52 B-3 PW with the original 6 volt system. I am getting close to putting the heater back in as part of the resto. When I took the truck apart in 2002 and started the project, I took several pics but not enough of the dash, and so do not see it in the pics. Also, the truck was a VFW brush truck and I had to weld up a lot of fire department holes from various switches, etc.
    Bottom line is I was wondering if there was a somewhat "standard" place for the heater switch?
    Thanks.

Dave,
    If I remember you have a MoPar (Chryco) Canadian heater?
    What does the switch liik like.
    Does it have a bracket on it that would hang under the dash?
    Or would it have gone through a hole in the dash?
    Is there more than one control ,heat,defrost?
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Good memory Tom,
      It is the Chryco. The only switch present that controls it looks like a regular dash pull switch but has the ceramic resistor (?) on the top of it. It looks like it would go through a hole in the dash, or could work with a bracket with a hole, that hangs down.
      There is a separate control lever on the heater for the gate that directs flow either down or up in the defrost hoses.

Comment

Doc looked at my two trucks 47 and a 49. The 47 with mopar 36 heater has controls in center of dash over ignition, the 49 with a model 61 has controls on left side of steering wheel on bracket under dash.I think heaters were dealer installed so probably any were would be good.Can't wait to see a pic of your whole truck as my 47 will be the same dark blue. John

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          Good memory Tom,
          It is the Chryco. The only switch present that controls it looks like a regular dash pull switch but has the ceramic resistor (?) on the top of it. It looks like it would go through a hole in the dash, or could work with a bracket with a hole, that hangs down.
          There is a separate control lever on the heater for the gate that directs flow either down or up in the defrost hoses.
          Dave,

I couldn't remember if you had the push/pull switch or the rotary lighted switch that hung under the dash.
          The model 36 heater had the controls mounted in the center of the dash by the window crank.
          The model 61/65 were mounted on a plate to the left under the dash. These brackets are very hard to find,and I was lucky enough to get one.
          Some mount the blower switch to the right of the panel light switch in the center of the dash.
          I have a 58 with the factory mounted Mod. 75 "Truck Master" and the blower switch was mounted were the panel light switch was, as it was no longer used.

Aftermarket heaters with the round rotary switch were usually under the dash left or right of the steering column.

So it's probably user preference unless you have a model 36 or 61/65 heater.
          I'm sure you've seen the pic's at Joe's PW Spotter

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/spotter/index.html

TGP
          Attached Files
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

The heater I picked up for my 46 Pw is simular to the model 36, but the Defroster control is mounted in the top center of the heater. Not sure what fan switch is should have, or where I'll mount it, had considered adding a fifth hole to the lower center switch area where there is a space. Not sure what would/should be there is anything.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Chryco heater, was in my '52 PW

Here is what it looks like. The other picture is of the switch.
              Attached Files

Comment

Unless you get a Canadian with pictures or original mounting instructions,I myself would try to put that switch to the right of the panel light switch in the lower dash.
                To me that would be the perfect place,
                It has a nice bezel,and knob.
                I believe in your case user preference prevails.
                TGP
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

Good thought Tom.
                  I will look at the dash closer this afternoon and decide.
                  I also am going to try and do some fuel sender/gauge testing in the next day or two...although we are supposed to get more "winter" tomorrow. I am READY for spring!
                  BTW, I got the build card on my truck from Chrysler. Very interesting... Kevin Clause helped me decipher it. Based on the codes on the card, it was shipped by boat from Detroit via Lake Erie to Erie, PA, then sent by rail(?) to a dealer in northeast PA. I assume the dealer is who installed the Chryco heater. I wonder if the normal truck heaters were back-ordered in Detroit, but this Canadian version was available so used? I am not sure but wonder if it was designed to go in Canadian Fargo trucks? However, it is fancier than any Chrysler truck heater I have seen, so maybe it was an auto heater?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                    Good thought Tom.
                    I will look at the dash closer this afternoon and decide.
                    I also am going to try and do some fuel sender/gauge testing in the next day or two...although we are supposed to get more "winter" tomorrow. I am READY for spring!
                    BTW, I got the build card on my truck from Chrysler. Very interesting... Kevin Clause helped me decipher it. Based on the codes on the card, it was shipped by boat from Detroit via Lake Erie to Erie, PA, then sent by rail(?) to a dealer in northeast PA. I assume the dealer is who installed the Chryco heater. I wonder if the normal truck heaters were back-ordered in Detroit, but this Canadian version was available so used? I am not sure but wonder if it was designed to go in Canadian Fargo trucks? However, it is fancier than any Chrysler truck heater I have seen, so maybe it was an auto heater?
                    Hi Dave,
                    Little more snow last night,got to love it!!!

Anyway very possible the heater you have was for a automobile.
                    I wouldn't see any reason it would not work just fine.

Getting the information off the build cards is so Cool!
                    According to mine the WDX was built July 47 in Detroit, shipped by rail in August 47 to Sioux Fall's SD.

Let me know how you make out with your lights and windshield problem.
                    Later
                    TGP
                    Attached Files
                    WDX & Misc. Pics.
                    "47" Dodge WDX WW
                    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                    "54" Willys M38A1
                    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

Originally posted by jsiebert View Post
                      Doc looked at my two trucks 47 and a 49. The 47 with mopar 36 heater has controls in center of dash over ignition, the 49 with a model 61 has controls on left side of steering wheel on bracket under dash.I think heaters were dealer installed so probably any were would be good.Can't wait to see a pic of your whole truck as my 47 will be the same dark blue. John
                      John,
                      Thanks for the input; I will try and post pics soon. The blue color looks good!

Comment

Working...
                      X