Need NP420 Transmission Bearing and Clutch Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need NP420 Transmission Bearing and Clutch Numbers

I have a 1963 New Process 4 speed transmission from a 1963 Power Wagon. It has the one inch diameter, 10 spline input shaft and an 11 inch diameter disk.

I need the numbers for the clutch disk, throw out bearing, pressure plate and pilot bearing of any items that are currently available through parts stores.

I know that these parts are available (for a price) at Vintage Power Wagons, but I'm looking for an alternative source if one exists.

Most of the Napa parts listed on the dodgepowerwagon.com site are no longer available.

The NAPA input shaft pilot bushing (B286) is available. However, it seems a little too big for the input shaft of the transmission. There is .065 clearance on the shaft which is a very loose fit. Aren't these bearings supposed to be snug? Is there any other alternative bearing?

Also, NAPA says they have a throwout bearing (not in stock at the store) for my truck, N1495. However, the dogepowerwagon.com page says the proper through out bearing is the NAPA 1087 or the Timken 2065. Does anyone know which, if any of these bearings will fit the one inch shaft.

While I'm asking, if you have the numbers for any bearings or seals for the NP420, this would be a good place and time to list them for the benefit of any of us re-doing our transmissions.

Thanks

For the clutch disc try McLeod part # 260111 (street) or # 260811 (performance)

This is from PAW catalog for 1958-68 318 Dodge truck engine with 1"x10 spline input & 11" borg/beck style clutch.

Sorry no throw-out shown.

Bucky

Comment

Antelope Valley Equipment & Truck Parts. 661 945 6788 try these guys with the old part numbers. is that close to you?

Comment

They're not too far away. I have seen them listed on the internet, but have never tried them. Thanks for the information.

Anyway, I found a place called Clutch Masters in Rialto, CA., near San Bernardino, (909) 877-6800. They are a full service clutch shop. I walked in with my old clutch disk and they had it rebuilt and back to me in less than 30 minutes. It cost $42.00 and they did a nice job.

From the looks of the place, they can handle just about any clutch-related problem. They had a shelf full of starter rings for flywheels. Now I know where to go if I ever need one.

The counter guy is knowledgeable about clutches. I told him that I thought the pilot bushing I had was too loose. He got the bushing specified for my truck and slid it onto the appropriate clutch alignment tool. It fit the same way as on my transmission input shaft, loosely.

He thought that the bushing might close down some when it was installed. It didn't seem likely, but I installed the bushing in the flywheel. The shaft is still pretty loose in the bushing.

A transmission I installed in a Chevy recently had a bushing which was a snug fit. I had to use the bolts to pull the transmission into the pilot bushing. It seems to run just fine. I also read recently that the input shaft should be a light press fit into the bushing.

Comment

where did you get the bushing? probalby chinese. maybe look for an NOS one on Ebay. dodge used the same bushing for at least 50 years. That is great you found a reliner locallly. That is what I do up here in seattle area. Brake & Clutch Supply in Seattle. they got it all at those shops. throw out bearings for everything. They also reline brake shoes. and they dont want more cuz something is old.

Comment

I made a mistake. The difference between the input shaft and the pilot bushing on my trans was .0065 (six and a half thousandths) not .065 as I previously stated. That would have indeed been a loose fit.

Anyway, I measured the input shaft and it shows two to three thousandths wear. That accounts for some of the looseness, but I don't think all.

Interestingly, there is no ridge or really visible sign of wear on the input shaft.

I ordered a new set of bearings for the transmission. They arrived today. The bearing number is 6209N for the large input shaft bearing. The other two bearings are 6207N and 6307N. I won't know which is for what until I tear down the trans.

These bearings are the metric replacement for the original bearings which were, of course, measured in inches. I noticed that the input shaft bearing did not fit in the housing as snuggly as I expected. Is this a result of the conversion of the bearings to metric sizes?

The bearings sent to me were manufactured in Japan. I wonder what the manufacturers of these post-world War II trucks would have thought about Japanese bearings going into their trucks?

Here is an interesting page which explains what the bearing numbers mean. It is a standard numbering system so that you can get these bearings from different bearing manufactures using the same numbers.

http://www.gizmology.net/bearings.htm

Note the different numbering system for the inch bearings. If anybody has the bearing numbers for the inch bearings, I would appreciate you posting them here. They may still be available and might fit better than the metric bearings.

If you disassemble a transmission with original bearings, take note of the numbers. I assume they were using the same numbering system even back then.

Comment

Metric bearings

Before installing those I woudl get ahold of Dave at jobrated.com and ask him if he has the correct bearings. japanese bearings are fine but I dont believe in metric equivalnets. at least on something as important asa bearings
              Antimetric Steve ;/)
              Originally posted by gmharris View Post
              I made a mistake. The difference between the input shaft and the pilot bushing on my trans was .0065 (six and a half thousandths) not .065 as I previously stated. That would have indeed been a loose fit.

Anyway, I measured the input shaft and it shows two to three thousandths wear. That accounts for some of the looseness, but I don't think all.

Interestingly, there is no ridge or really visible sign of wear on the input shaft.

I ordered a new set of bearings for the transmission. They arrived today. The bearing number is 6209N for the large input shaft bearing. The other two bearings are 6207N and 6307N. I won't know which is for what until I tear down the trans.

These bearings are the metric replacement for the original bearings which were, of course, measured in inches. I noticed that the input shaft bearing did not fit in the housing as snuggly as I expected. I wonder if this is a result of the conversion of the bearings to metric sizes?

The bearings sent to me were manufactured in Japan. I wonder what the manufacturers of these post-world War II trucks would have thought about Japanese bearings going into their trucks?

Here is an interesting page which explains what the bearing numbers mean. It is a standard numbering system so that you can get these bearing from different bearing manufactures using the same numbers.

Note the different numbering system for the inch bearing. If anybody has the bearing numbers for the inch bearing, I would appreciate you posting them here. They may still be available and might fit better then the metric bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post

These bearings are the metric replacement for the original bearings which were, of course, measured in inches. I noticed that the input shaft bearing did not fit in the housing as snuggly as I expected. Is this a result of the conversion of the bearings to metric sizes?

Here is an interesting page which explains what the bearing numbers mean. It is a standard numbering system so that you can get these bearings from different bearing manufactures using the same numbers.

Note the different numbering system for the inch bearings. If anybody has the bearing numbers for the inch bearings, I would appreciate you posting them here. They may still be available and might fit better than the metric bearings.

If you disassemble a transmission with original bearings, take note of the numbers. I assume they were using the same numbering system even back then.
                The correct #'s are 1209SL, 1307SL, and 1207SL. These are a "max" type ball bearing, max type has smaller balls and a higher ball count. They offer a higher load carrying capability and are smoother running that the standard ball bearings that are #'s 209SL, 307SL, 207SL, these are the same dimensions overall, but have larger and fewer balls, less load capability, and do not offer the smoother operation that the max type bearings do. All our rebuilds get the "max" type bearings, more expensive of course, always is when the best components are used, but you will enjoy a noticable difference in quieter, smoother operation, that will last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                  The correct #'s are 1209SL, 1307SL, and 1207SL. These are a "max" type ball bearing, max type has smaller balls and a higher ball count. They offer a higher load carrying capability and are smoother running that the standard ball bearings that are #'s 209SL, 307SL, 207SL, these are the same dimensions overall, but have larger and fewer balls, less load capability, and do not offer the smoother operation that the max type bearings do. All our rebuilds get the "max" type bearings, more expensive of course, always is when the best components are used, but you will enjoy a noticable difference in quieter, smoother operation, that will last longer.
                  Charles, thanks for listing the bearing numbers and sharing your experience with us.

I also found a site where someone has photos of a NP200 rebuild and lists the bearing numbers for the NP200 transfer case:

http://blog.gieselman.com/post/NP200...e-Rebuild.aspx

Comment

Working...
                  X